Arlington Washington SALVAGE ESCAPE 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2024, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Arlington Washington SALVAGE ESCAPE 19

Ok….whos was it and what happened……looks like it was flood damaged possibly? Says unknown damage but the batteries look like possible silt/dirt from a flood? Wish they showed inside pics……bids are at $80!

Sorry if someone already posted. See link…

https://abetter.bid/en/1082340012-20...ape-traveltrai
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Ok….whos was it and what happened……looks like it was flood damaged possibly? Says unknown damage but the batteries look like possible silt/dirt from a flood? Wish they showed inside pics……bids are at $80!

Sorry if someone already posted. See link…

https://abetter.bid/en/1082340012-20...ape-traveltrai
Interesting: They "xxx" out the VIN and Lot numbers but they are clearly visible in the photographs. But for $80 I just might consider bidding...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Someone needs to start an escape salvage yard for when the rest of us need parts! Wasent there a bear that destroyed someone’s airplane door? This would help that happy camper out if the rest was junk….so many good parts here or restore. Interesting to see where it goes dollar wise.
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Forget using it for spare parts. For the right person and the right price it could be a dream buy. Given that virtually the whole interior comes apart with a Robertson screwdriver it'd be easy to gut, dry out and reuse a lot of the parts.

If it was a 23 I'd be bidding hard.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I need a spare

I've got an 2016 E19, just like this one, same year. I could use a spare travel trailer.
You never know when you'll need one. But alas, I have no where to park it.
At a low enough price, it certainly could be refurbished with a bit of grunt work.

But not now. Not me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Got everything I need to fix it, but I don’t need another project. Time to use the one I have is more valuable to me.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Does this mean you will not be able to put the trailer back on the road?

Form the add:
Attention
Vehicles sold with “bill of sale”, “parts only”, “unrepairable”, “certificate of destruction” or equivalent will be sold with a bill of sale only.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
Does this mean you will not be able to put the trailer back on the road?

Form the add:
Attention
Vehicles sold with “bill of sale”, “parts only”, “unrepairable”, “certificate of destruction” or equivalent will be sold with a bill of sale only.
Assume that means no title. I would guess that most states would have some provision for creating new titles for salvage restorations. True?

Can't see the photos; requires elaborate Google log-in; not for me.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
If I read the ad correctly, the auction goes live at 12:00PM o the 1st. I would bet it goes way higher if enough people are bidding and start to get excited. I can't imagine it costing even $10K to fix it but who knows what's wrong. Water damage is a speculation but there are other things it could be, cracked or bent frame etc.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Maybe it was stolen an then used as a meth lab?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
If I read the ad correctly, the auction goes live at 12:00PM o the 1st. I would bet it goes way higher if enough people are bidding and start to get excited.
I agree and auctions do strange things to folk's judgement. I notice the inset ad, for another auction for a 2013 Honda, already had a higher bid price than the blue book value. I hope someone follows the auction and sees what the take home price is.

All the time that I had a 19 I hoped to find this situation in a 21. In my case I would have gutted it anyway.

Ron
Old 01-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
All the time that I had a 19 I hoped to find this situation in a 21. In my case I would have gutted it anyway.
As they are not showing any interior pictures it would be prudent to consider this may be required here.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:21 PM   #13
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I agree with Ron in that people do strange things at auctions. I when to an auction by a river outfitter/guide that sold their rental canoes once a year. I bid and won on the first canoe offered for $300 (quite a steal for a nice fiberglass canoe that they had reinforced the front and back. The rest of them went for $400 or more and the rest were not in as good condition as mine.

Same is likely to happen here. It is probably worth $3K or $4K if the appliances are in working order. My guess is you could gut it and even order the materials from Escape for the interior redo for a lot less than a new one. Assuming the frame and underlying structure are okay, it would be a fun project.

I wonder what Johnny Hung could do with it!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2023 E19
It will be interesting to see what it sells for. I personally wouldn't want to bid without knowing why it was written off. Agree that flood damage is the most likely cause. Maybe a theft recovery?

I looked at some of the other RV salvage listings. There were a few Airstreams listed that were written off due to hail damage. They must be exceptionally expensive to insure in hail-prone areas. That might explain why it is so rare to see an Airstream in my neck of the woods....
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
$550 and rising...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post

I agree with Ron in that people do strange things at auctions.

It is probably worth $3K or $4K if the appliances are in working order. Assuming the frame and underlying structure are okay, it would be a fun project.

I wonder what Johnny Hung could do with it!
Funniest one that I ever saw was a Police auction of recovered bikes. The place was jammed full of people, some a long way back and maybe arrived too late to view the bikes. One bike had the rear wheel supports hacked apart, it was junk. Folks at the back were bidding like crazy. Folks at the front turned around and stated yelling no, no. It still went for a dumb price.

$3K to $4K, is that your final bid? OK, I just outbid you. Presuming an intact rolling chassis and an intact shell I'd go higher. There's probably a lot of other usable items also.

Johnny and a lot of other folks could probably do some interesting things with it.

Ron
Old 01-30-2024, 11:13 AM   #17

Out of interest I looked at what it would take to bring it into Canada. It would meet all the requirements except if it has been in a flood as any vehicle that has been written off due to flood damage can not be registered. A trailer is considered to be a vehicle. I don't think it would matter if you have the ability to completely rebuild it if the regulations won't let you register it. Maybe you could find a way around this but personally I would really need to know what the damage is before taking the risk.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:25 PM   #18

I don't know the answer either but cars that are write-offs are routinely sold with a rebuilt status.

In BC they've tightened up the rules for registering home built trailers. I've built a few different types over the years and the process was always the same. Take the receipts for the materials used that showed that you paid tax on them otherwise you had to pay the tax at ICBC. Get your license plate and go.

Now they're requiring inspections on heavier trailers, not quite as easy. I've heard that some folks are buying a complete piece of junk trailer just to get a valid registration.

Folks do get a bill of sale and that may be enough for some jurisdictions.

Going to be interesting to see what it goes for and I've love, just out of curiosity, to see how much damage there is inside.

Ron
Old 01-30-2024, 12:35 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape
I did a VIN check on National Insurance Crime Bureau site. The vehicle was identified as ETI. It was not flagged as stolen or salvaged. There are other free sites that want your email address to give a free report. I did not use those sites.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't know the answer either but cars that are write-offs are routinely sold with a rebuilt status.
They specifically refer to flood damage in the registration requirements. I understand that the reason is so many vehicles have been written of in floods and it is very difficult to to tell what systems are affected and if it could have undetectable safety hazards. I can understand this with motor vehicles as water can get into engines, braking systems, etc. and cause more degradation due to corrosion over time and you don't know when there could be an issue. I would not think this should apply the same way to a trailer, but they classify it as a vehicle that must be registered and therefor is also caught in this clause. I went to overhaul a Trek road bicycle a couple years after it had been in the Calgary floods in 2013. I could not believe the corrosion in the components when I went to overhaul all the bearings. I could see external signs of it on the frame but without a borescope I could not see well inside the frame and I gave up as I knew the frame had filled with water. That was fresh water damage so I can not imagine what sea water could do. The inside of the Escape frame would definitely fill with water in a flood. Wheels and axels could also have issues. Costs ad up quickly.

To me it is not worth the risk of buying it without knowing the damage and hauling it home to find the damage negates it from getting registered, even if fixed. Of course if it not flood damage it is a whole different story.