Tires for Tow Vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2023, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Tires for Tow Vehicle

The tires on my F150 4x4 are going to need to be replace next summer, or sooner, so I thought I’d start this thread.

My truck came with Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT’s. With 57K on them they still look pretty good for a 60K rated tire. They ride soft and quiet.

Considering the Michelin LTX defenders because the do better in rain and snow than the GY’s. I’ve heard great things on the BF Goodrich KO2’s but those are 10 ply tires.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I was leaning towards KO2's as well but my son-in-law almost has me talked into Falken Wildpeak AT3w. He has them on his "zombie-apocolypse" ready Tacoma and says they are quieter than the KO2s, wear better and less money. All that said, I have been very happy with the OEM supplied Michelin Primacy XC on our F150. They are quiet, plenty grippy, and, most importantly, you can get them at Costco (last time I checked).
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 E21C
We're on our second set of Michelins from Costco on a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500. We changed out the first set at 70,000 miles on an 80,000 tire which has been discontinued by Michelin. Our present set of tires are 70,000 mile tires. We've been happy with them. Costco rotates marking down the brands they carry so you might wait for the Michelin brand to be marked diown.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
D&L

Trailer: 2023 5.0 (Casper)
I use the Michelin Defender LTX MS on all my TV at 40psi.
D&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Costco rotates marking down the brands they carry so you might wait for the Michelin brand to be marked diown.

John
Just happens that Michelins are on sale now at Costco. $100 off set of 4 Defender LTX. Sale ends 10/22.

I'm not affiliated with Costco but I should be given the number of hot dogs I've eaten there
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 E19
I tend to prefer Michelin tires and have been very happy with the Defender LTX's fitted to my TV. I think their price premium over some of the other brands is worth the added peace of mind.

I agree that an LT "E" rating (10 ply) is overkill for any load that an F150 is going to carry. However, I would strongly consider a LT "C" rating (6 ply) as an alternative over the standard "P" version....if they are offered in the size that you need.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Michelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&L View Post
I use the Michelin Defender LTX MS on all my TV at 40psi.
Times Two
I run 42 rear 40 front. The set I have on now has 70,000 on them and they are at 4/32. I’ll buy new ones before winter. Probably about Veterans Day. The original Michelin Latitudes went 62,000 miles and could have done another 5 to 8 thousand the way they were wearing but discretion is the better part of valor. Instead of paying for disposal, the used tire guy gave me $5 each so a $40 turn around.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2023, 08:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
Michelin Defenders. Been running them for yrs. Always got 70;000 miles out of them love the traction in dry rain or snowy weather.. they do pretty good traveling the backroads in the mountains.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
I loved bf Goodrich kO2s on my 08 jeep commander. Great tire in all weather but much appreciated during harsh Manitoba winters. I never found them noisy. With current jeep GC, we have the stock ecotopias and michelen x snow or ice (whatever the current generation). KO2s were still good at about 65,000 miles when we traded the commander. Nothing but good to say about those tires. From highway in summer to ice fishing in deep snow, an all around great tire imo.
Pauly D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If you don't need an overly aggressive tread and want a quiet, long-lasting tire with good traction in most conditions I am another fan of the Michelin Defender LTX. Great tires.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you don't need an overly aggressive tread and want a quiet, long-lasting tire with good traction in most conditions I am another fan of the Michelin Defender LTX. Great tires.
I agree. I wouldn't put k02s on our current Jeep GC because of their more aggressive tread. This is more aesthetic than functional, however; I barely noticed their noise and their performance in all conditions was excellent. Take care, Paul
Pauly D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
I've been happy with my BF Goodridge KO2's. They are still going strong after 60,000 km's and their snow performance has also been good.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:17 PM   #13

I was thinking about the KO2's because they were a 10 ply tire and thought they would add protection for those boon docking roads.

I had the LTX's on a previous truck and they seemed to never wear out. I got rid of them after 85,000 miles because they got too hard/slippery but they still had plenty of tread left.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I started using Michelin LTX AT tires in LT designation many years ago and have stayed with them after Michelin changed to the AT2. I'm on my fifth set and usually get 100,000km from a set if I don't sell them with the vehicle first. One set turned 125,000km. When I get a vehicle the first thing I do is put on the Michelins.

I'm due for another set next spring when I change out my winter tires for summer tires, but this is mostly due to age. The current ones will be 10 years old because I don't put on many everyday km since I retired.

I like them because they are a bit rugged, last a long time and are quiet. I'd love to go with WildPeak ATs but they have to be noisier with all those lugs. I'm open to the idea of Defenders seeing as many of you like them.

I personally don't know if there is any truth to it but in the past my Michelin dealer told me the Michelins sold by Costco are different tires than the Michelins sold by dealers, like, a version made just for Costco, but I don't recall what the difference is.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I started using Michelin LTX AT tires in LT designation many years ago and have stayed with them after Michelin changed to the AT2. I'm on my fifth set and usually get 100,000km from a set if I don't sell them with the vehicle first. One set turned 125,000km. When I get a vehicle the first thing I do is put on the Michelins.

I'm due for another set next spring when I change out my winter tires for summer tires, but this is mostly due to age. The current ones will be 10 years old because I don't put on many everyday km since I retired.

I like them because they are a bit rugged, last a long time and are quiet. I'd love to go with WildPeak ATs but they have to be noisier with all those lugs. I'm open to the idea of Defenders seeing as many of you like them.

I personally don't know if there is any truth to it but in the past my Michelin dealer told me the Michelins sold by Costco are different tires than the Michelins sold by dealers, like, a version made just for Costco, but I don't recall what the difference is.
How is the ride?
Old 09-30-2023, 07:40 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
How is the ride?
Hi: WillyB... When I retired the Wranglers off our Ram 1500 I went with my usual replacement tire 20" Toyo HT. (highway tread). Not quite as cushy but quiet and they last n last. Somewhat less than Michelin or Bridgestone but equal to the challenge. Just my 2 cents worth. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
How is the ride?
I find the LTX AT2 to ride smooth and quiet.

I reduce the air to around 34psi when empty and up them to 55psi when towing the Escape.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I find the LTX AT2 to ride smooth and quiet.

I reduce the air to around 34psi when empty and up them to 55psi when towing the Escape.
Another vote for the Michelin tires...smooth, quiet and long lasting. The only thing here in the mountains is that I run REAL snow tires in the winter(x ice, blizzack etc)...the LTX are not snow tires for around here! Two sets of expensive tires!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Another vote for the Michelin tires...smooth, quiet and long lasting. The only thing here in the mountains is that I run REAL snow tires in the winter(x ice, blizzack etc)...the LTX are not snow tires for around here! Two sets of expensive tires!
True. Not snow tires.
I have a separate set of tires for winter.
iamunique127 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
On my F150 I had some very road oriented continentals that were really great. Highly rated in the wet and dry, very passenger vehicle oriented. Rated to be very quiet. Then I moved to the country and they started getting lots of holes from small nails and such. When I took them in to the shop I had two or three plugs and two new nails that I could see.

I just got some KO2s and they are certainly a bit more rugged feeling. Smooth on the highway but a bit more resistant in tight maneuvers in parking lots. Nothing awful, just a tad more truck feeling. I was really nervous they would be loud, but that has not been an issue.

One issue is that I have 20 inch wheels and the aggressive tread looks a bit silly on 40 series tires. But I got over that pretty quickly.

I know the K02s aren’t nail proof, but that have to be a bit more nail resistant.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote