2019 E21 Front Solar Panel Failure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Aliner & 2019 Escape 21 - Adventure Orange
2019 E21 Front Solar Panel Failure

We are communicating this failure Out Of Concern For Health and Human Safety and for no other purpose.

*While driving west on I70 in Colorado the front solar panel on our E21 purchased in 2019 broke off and nearly collided with my wife's vehicle who was traveling behind me.

*The panel aluminum stands broke off leaving only the flat portion of the stand still bolted to the camper. We always drive the camper at 65 mph or less. There was a 5-10 mph headwind. The camper only has about 3000 miles due to COVID. The solar panel has never been bumped and was firmly attached when I checked before leaving on the trip.

*The panel was run over by a box truck. My wife pulled it off the Hwy and tried to put it in the back seat of the car. Glass fragments cut her leg and covered the back seat. The panel didn't fit and she had to abandon it on the road side.

*Both Escape and Go Power have been informed of the failure.

*Escape verbally indicated they are aware of issues with front solar panel failures on 21's and apparently sent emails to some owners but not others.
Escape verbally committed to correcting/repairing the issue, but then recanted via an email two days later with only a first name stating that apparently they changed their minds and deem such failures "warranty" issues. Ours is 2 months out of date.

*Go Power at first asked for more information then quickly deferred to Escape.

*It appears via information from this group and the forum that Escape has recommended and made modifications to some 21's with front solar panels, but not others.

*These are the facts that we have of a failure that could have resulted in severe injury and/or fatality and felt that people should know.

*Prior to this failure we thoroughly enjoyed our camper and it's solar package.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Unbelievable! This is a known installation problem; unfortunately sometimes it takes someone actually getting killed to wake people up.

Personally, I wouldn't take no for an answer from Karl & Co. Get loud- and do a review on Google. I guarantee that will get a response.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
Which 21?

"C", or "NE"?

Hope the wife is OK.............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This doesn't sound like earlier problems, since apparently brackets broke rather than detaching from the trailer. Perhaps someone more familiar with other failures could compare the details to see if this is a new problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
The other one that I am aware of was a 21 NE and I understood it to be a problem of the panel being too close to the front of the trailer than the C models? If you are able to post a few pictures of what is left on the roof where the panel was it might help. I was hoping to find out what escape's fix was for that one. Luckily no one was hurt by the flying panel, those things are heavy.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Aliner & 2019 Escape 21 - Adventure Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
"C", or "NE"?

Hope the wife is OK.............
"C"

Wife was a little shook up. She is OK.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Curious only: Do you have any photos of the top of your Escape where the panel used to reside?
Old 09-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
We had similar experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
While driving west on I70 in Colorado the front solar panel on our E21 purchased in 2019 broke off and nearly collided with my wife's vehicle who was traveling behind me.
*The panel aluminum stands broke off leaving only the flat portion of the stand still bolted to the camper.
*Escape verbally indicated they are aware of issues with front solar panel failures on 21's and apparently sent emails to some owners but not others.
Escape verbally committed to correcting and repairing the issue, but then recanted via an email two days later with only a first name stating that apparently they changed their minds and deem such failures "warranty" issues. Ours is 2 months out of date.
We are so sorry to hear about your solar panel failure.

Our daughter's 21NE front panel failed on their first trip. Luckily, we spotted it before it came loose. We received messages from another ETI owner who experienced a similar failure. ETI is clearly aware of the issue.

The panel flexing broke the street side rear mount, and it significantly bent the other three mounts. The replacement panel no longer fits.

ETI sent 4 replacement mounts with instructions to install them adjacent to the existing broken mounts. This requires 4 screws that extend through the headliner. ETI also arranged for GoPower to ship a replacement 190W panel.

We are going to remove all the old mounts, and we are designing a replacement mounting system.

We reinforced the front solar panel on our 19' We also reinforced the replacement panel for our daughter's 21NE. We are going to replace the mounts on our 19' like we do on the 21NE.

Did you receive the warning notice from ETI? Our daughter received an email on April 17, 2021.

Please send a PM if you need additional information.

Wish you the best on resolution.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
There have apparently been several iterations of fixes for these failures.

One recent 19 delivery shows shorter front brackets putting the panel on a forward rake and a wide front bracket that holds the front of the panel close to the roof.

More recently, as of this morning, I was informed that the fix is to lower all four brackets and eliminate the front bracket.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Escape verbally committed to correcting/repairing the issue, but then recanted via an email two days later with only a first name stating that apparently they changed their minds and deem such failures "warranty" issues. Ours is 2 months out of date.
I’m curious to know what the first name was on that email.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I asked if the problem had been resolved, as we are getting our trailer (21NE) delivered in a couple of weeks. This is the response I received this a.m. from Dustin:

Hello @kathydiggs

All trailers that were still at Escape's facility and already manufactured when the reinforcement kit was introduced have received the necessary kit before leaving.

The trailers that have been manufactured after the discovery of the failure have been installed lower to the roof which deflects the wind as previously intended.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
I’m curious to know what the first name was on that email.
Probably "Dustin"- see above post# 11
Old 09-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Probably "Dustin"- see above post# 11
My guess as well.

Maybe the change in response was because this is the only reported problem involving a 21C (and possibly the first response was based on the assumption that it was a 21NE)?
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
My guess as well.

Maybe the change in response was because this is the only reported problem involving a 21C (and possibly the first response was based on the assumption that it was a 21NE)?

I don't thing there is any difference on the outside of the trailer, so why would that matter?
Old 09-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't thing [sic] there is any difference on the outside of the trailer, so why would that matter?
This has been discussed in a 21NE panel-problem thread ... the bath layout differences drive a different roof-vent location and that then drives a different solar panel location.

Some, including apparently ETI, have suggested the resultant panel location difference is pertinent to the panel problem on the NE. YMMV.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
I asked if the problem had been resolved, as we are getting our trailer (21NE) delivered in a couple of weeks. This is the response I received this a.m. from Dustin:

Hello @kathydiggs

All trailers that were still at Escape's facility and already manufactured when the reinforcement kit was introduced have received the necessary kit before leaving.

The trailers that have been manufactured after the discovery of the failure have been installed lower to the roof which deflects the wind as previously intended.
I am waiting for a response to my question regarding the decision to lower the panel but to no longer slightly raise the height if the rear bracket.

A bit of additional downforce would seem to add a positive deterrence to the panel becoming a wing.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
I am waiting for a response to my question regarding the decision to lower the panel but to no longer slightly raise the height if the rear bracket.

A bit of additional downforce would seem to add a positive deterrence to the panel becoming a wing.
I am sure you will get an answer before we get our trailer, but I will be happy to let you know how ours is configured.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

Just to note that in the complex world of aerodynamics, particularly when the referenced surface (panel) is in close proximity to another body (the trailer) which is influencing airflow rather than 'in free space / clean air', raising the back edge / tilting the surface may not yield the desired "additional downforce" (counterintuitive though that may be). In fact, it is possible that 'lift' or other undesirable forces could occur. Rather sophisticated modeling or wind-tunnel work is required to assess such effects.

Just for your consideration.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #20

Well, as it turns out, the current 21Cs will have an overall lower mounting height and the rear mounts will be slightly higher.

I am OK with this approach. No need to rent wind tunnel time from the Mercedes F1 team.