Barbeques - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #181
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That grill is at our local Costco....
Thanks for tips, Hugh, and Ross.
I went to my local Costco (Oxnard) after work, looked it over, and decided to buy one (of the last six on the stack.) $99.99. There were two other people looking; so they may be all gone now!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #182
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Posts: 343
$99 is a great price. It is made by Duro and probably just branded for Costco. It has 2 burners and has enough height to do a beer can chicken so it will work for me. And 20,000 BTU's so will have more than enough heat. Just have to figure out what fittings I have to put on it to connect with the hose that ETI will be supplying with the trailer.
hughharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #183
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,136
I do "beer can chicken" a lot at home, but since neither the Weber Q nor the Dickinson Spitfire can accommodate a chicken standing up, I just cut a fryer in half and place it ribs down/breast up on the grill on low for an hour. Innards get charred, but the part you eat is better than fine.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #184
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
$99 is a great price. It is made by Duro and probably just branded for Costco. It has 2 burners and has enough height to do a beer can chicken so it will work for me. And 20,000 BTU's so will have more than enough heat. Just have to figure out what fittings I have to put on it to connect with the hose that ETI will be supplying with the trailer.
It will screw right on, you need to first remove the hose it comes with that is attached to its regulator. Again,they have a CYA label warning about that FWIW.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #185
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,626
"If it doesn't stow, it doesn't go"

This is a loosely kept rule I created, with the exception of the beer cooler, which resides just outside the door when camping anyway. I just don't like a lot of 'loose' stuff getting in the way, for the most part. If I don't want to leave the cooler outside when camped, I toss it in the tow.

My bug tent is another thing that won't stow, and needs to sit on the floor, but I only bring it during mossie season, and it goes up right away.

Where do folks store these big BBQ's when not in use? I am guessing in the tow vehicle, or do they fit in the storage bin?

This is the main reason I got rid of my Camp Chef, which is a great, simple BBQ, but I could not stow it away anywhere.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
"My bug tent is another thing that won't stow, and needs to sit on the floor, but I only bring it during mossie season, and it goes up right away.
So whenever there's no snow then, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Where do folks store these big BBQ's when not in use? I am guessing in the tow vehicle, or do they fit in the storage bin?

This is the main reason I got rid of my Camp Chef, which is a great, simple BBQ, but I could not stow it away anywhere.
I've got a Camp Chef single burner, and grill box, and griddle, and... They all go in a metal job-site tool box that sits in the back of the truck. It takes a lot of space in the bed of the truck, but we wanted something the would be acceptable to the rangers when in bear country.

We originally considered something that would fit inside the trailer, but decided we didn't want the smell (no matter how much cleaning you do, a grill smells greasy). Once we decided the grill wasn't travelling in the trailer, size wasn't much of a concern (we did consider one of the smaller Weber Q models but didn't get as far as figuring out if it would fit in the front box before settling on the Camp Chef, though).
__________________
Doug

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #187
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
So whenever there's no snow then, eh?
Snow? We don't seem to get that any more. At least during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
We originally considered something that would fit inside the trailer, but decided we didn't want the smell (no matter how much cleaning you do, a grill smells greasy).
We have noticed no smell at all, but we do keep it clean, and wash out the drip tray regularly.

As the BBQ is meant only for use with the trailer, I do like to keep it with it, and save room in the Pilot for things we use when out on daily forays.

Is your Camp Chef grill the one with the removable legs? Other than not great in the wind, I really like that BBQ. A good size for when our kids regularly camped with us, and a really good price.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Posts: 5,234
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;89255]"If it doesn't stow, it doesn't go"

That is a great mott-o That Costco Duro NX will not go in the front box, and when checking out stashing it under a dinette bin(it wouldn't) I decided I wouldn't want to do that anyway. My Weber charcoal grill does go in the front box easily; I stash it in a good "got my own bag" grocery bag. Also room for the metal coal starter. The one shown is their propane version, but at 6500 BTU's don't think it would cook as good as the charcoal version.

Have to ask my bro-in-law what he uses- it was small/single burner but that tri-tip he cooked was seared and tasty!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #189
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,640
With the dual 6V batteries in the front passenger side dinette storage area and the blackwater tank in the front driver side dinette storage area, there is really no "closed" storage space in my 19' to keep our Spitfire grill. I was disappointed that it would not fit in the front external storage box, even with the legs turned flat on the grill (I tried). What we do is keep the grill under the dinette table while travelling or away from the campsite. When in camp, I keep the grill outside (usually) or in the back of the truck (often over night). Not an ideal situation, but we live with it.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #190
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
With the dual 6V batteries in the front passenger side dinette storage area and the blackwater tank in the front driver side dinette storage area, there is really no "closed" storage space in my 19' to keep our Spitfire grill. I was disappointed that it would not fit in the front external storage box, even with the legs turned flat on the grill (I tried). What we do is keep the grill under the dinette table while travelling or away from the campsite. When in camp, I keep the grill outside (usually) or in the back of the truck (often over night). Not an ideal situation, but we live with it.
Just a note for those not in the know. I do store my Spitfire inside, under they driver's side dinette seat, but I have an older, and smaller black tank. This will not work in the newer units.

If your batteries are in the storage box, the passenger side seat would work with minor modifications though.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #191
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is your Camp Chef grill the one with the removable legs? Other than not great in the wind, I really like that BBQ. A good size for when our kids regularly camped with us, and a really good price.
Our stove is the pro-30 (Pro 30 Single Burner Stove | Camp Chef). It does have the removable legs, though they don't go on and off very easily. If the campsite layout allows it, the truck is usually fairly close to the trailer and I put the stove on the tailgate of the truck.

We have the grill box to go with it (Professional Grill Box 30 | Camp Chef). It's a bit big for the two of us, but we're often travelling with friends so a bit of extra space is a good thing.

And I love the griddle (Professional Flat Top Griddle 14" x 16" | Camp Chef). I've never cooked on one before, but it makes an excellent surface for cooking breakfast.

There are times when having an additional burner would be useful (e.g. when cooking breakfast and making coffee at the same time). In those instances we either use the stove inside the trailer, or just be patient (Patient! For coffee?!?).

This is all good quality stuff but if I were to start over again I'm not sure I'd go this route -- it all takes up too much space. I suspect a T-connect on the propane tanks, an ordinary coleman-style stove and a small grill like the spitfire or weber babyq would do the job fine and be rather more space-efficient.
__________________
Doug

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #192
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
"If it doesn't stow, it doesn't go"

....
I considered that when I was looking at the Duro grill at Costco. I plan to carry it in the back of the tow vehicle, as I don't believe I'll find a place in the 17 (that I pick up in about 24 weeks), unless it's in a box on the floor.
It is a good quality unit in terms of materials and assembly; and at $100, that's why I got it.

The legs bolt on, and don't fold.
Space needed: 24"(610mm) x 18"(457 mm) x 14½"(368mm). 24" allows for the hose to remain attached.
If you unscrew the hose, you're at 21"(534mm) wide.
The hose is about 40"(1020mm) long, with a regulator and QCC connector to attach directly to your propane tank.

{incidentally, why do the metric aficionados still use Btu/h instead of joules/sec., or Watts, or maybe HP?}
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #193
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,626
You Southerners, with your own definition of what BBQ is, are weird, you know, eh!

I use the term BBQ for any grilling, because if I didn't, I couldn't use all the BBQ sauces I have. I don't have any grilling sauces. When I smoke, I call it smoking, where temps are low, cook times are long, and meats are oh, so juicy and tender.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #194
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You Southerners, with your own definition of what BBQ is, are weird, you know, eh!

I use the term BBQ for any grilling, because if I didn't I couldn't use all the BBQ sauces I have. When I smoke, I call it smoking, where temps are low, cook times are long, and meats are oh, so juicy and tender.
Yea, Jim, I know. I had it pounded into my head after moving here. Not really a southerner; I'm originally from New England. Moved here from NH to get away from the winter weather. But quickly came to realize what was sold there as "BBQ" was not really stellar. Sort of like Manhattan clam chowder ain't clam chowder at all. And sort of like Philly cheese steaks sold in Los Angeles just don't cut it, or chili from Wendy's can't compare with chili from almost anywhere in the southwest. And those who would tell you that West Virginia is "almost Heaven" have probably never been in Colorado, Montana, or BC!
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #195
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,268
Just curious, what does one call using a griddle to cook on, is it grilling? I have a cast iron flat griddle I use over both burners of my outdoor stove. Easier to clean, but no smoke. For that I use the Cobb Grill which is charcoal fuel.
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #196
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Yea, Jim, I know. I had it pounded into my head after moving here. Not really a southerner; I'm originally from New England. Moved here from NH to get away from the winter weather. But quickly came to realize what was sold there as "BBQ" was not really stellar. Sort of like Manhattan clam chowder ain't clam chowder at all. And sort of like Philly cheese steaks sold in Los Angeles just don't cut it, or chili from Wendy's can't compare with chili from almost anywhere in the southwest. And those who would tell you that West Virginia is "almost Heaven" have probably never been in Colorado, Montana, or BC!
I heare you, Carl. I do like to get differing variety to the same dishes though, and some regional stuff, though different, can still be good in its own right. I love Manhattan Clam Chowder too, but it is nothing like the delicious Boston type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just curious, what does one call using a griddle to cook on, is it grilling? I have a cast iron flat griddle I use over both burners of my outdoor stove. Easier to clean, but no smoke. For that I use the Cobb Grill which is charcoal fuel.
I have heard it referred to as a grill before, Jim. But I usually call it a griddle. I have one I use on either the stoves two burners, or on the BBQ (Grill). I bet those Texans have another name for it too.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #197
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,868
If my vote counts I would call cooking on a grill "grilling" and cooking on a griddle "frying".
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #198
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
If my vote counts I would call cooking on a grill "grilling" and cooking on a griddle "frying".
Sorry, wrong answer. Your vote is hereby disqualified.

Though if you were consistent, and called it "griddling", that might be fine.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #199
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just curious, what does one call using a griddle to cook on, is it grilling? I have a cast iron flat griddle I use over both burners of my outdoor stove. Easier to clean, but no smoke. For that I use the Cobb Grill which is charcoal fuel.
I think it is called "griddling".

As John Denver said,
Quote:
Well, I got me a fine wife, I got my old fiddle
When the sun's comin' up, I got cakes on the griddle
Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle
Thank God I'm a country boy
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,868
But...don't you fry eggs on a griddle?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.