Buying a used Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Arlington, Tennessee
Trailer: 1983 Alumalite at hunting camp / WTB 21' or 23' Escape
Posts: 14
Buying a used Escape

New user....first post!

My wife and I have been contemplating putting a deposit down on a new 21C or trying to get into the lottery for one of the 23' models they are about to build...but we've found what appears to be a really clean used 21C a few hours from our home...I made contact with the gentleman but he wants me to send a $3,000 deposit via Apple Pay to show that I am serious BEFORE he will agree to let us even make the drive to see the camper.....

We are at an impasse because there is no way I'm sending $3K to a stranger for a camper I've never seen....is this a common ask?

Thanks,
David Koeppel
__________________

dkoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,116
It's not something I'd do. You have no proof the seller really has the trailer.

Where'd you see the ad?
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,734
Sounds pretty suspicious to me, I’ve never heard of having to pay upfront to view a trailer, I’d run.
__________________
Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoeppel View Post
....there is no way I'm sending $3K to a stranger for a camper I've never seen...
Me either. Nope, nope, nope... wouldn't do it.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoeppel View Post
New user....first post!

My wife and I have been contemplating putting a deposit down on a new 21C or trying to get into the lottery for one of the 23' models they are about to build...but we've found what appears to be a really clean used 21C a few hours from our home...I made contact with the gentleman but he wants me to send a $3,000 deposit via Apple Pay to show that I am serious BEFORE he will agree to let us even make the drive to see the camper.....

We are at an impasse because there is no way I'm sending $3K to a stranger for a camper I've never seen....is this a common ask?

Thanks,
David Koeppel
Wouldn’t touch that deal with a ten foot pole. Scammers can get pictures and details off the web and post as their own. Locally, there has been a nice looking Casita for sale on Craigslist for $800. Same posting is on multiple area Craigslist and seller has no real address. All kinds of red flags.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
HABBERDABBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison area, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 639
DANGER Wil Robonson, DANGER!

Worth investigating the rig more, but no $$$$.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Arlington, Tennessee
Trailer: 1983 Alumalite at hunting camp / WTB 21' or 23' Escape
Posts: 14
Thanks everyone...I was born at night, but it wasn't last night...LOL!

I never considered sending him a dime but wondered if these campers were so popular that this had become commonplace.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and my sanity.

David
dkoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Arlington, Tennessee
Trailer: 1983 Alumalite at hunting camp / WTB 21' or 23' Escape
Posts: 14
He went "radio silent" after I said we weren't going to send a deposit but could make the 2-3 hour drive virtually any day since I work from home and my wife is retired from the Department of Justice....which is true by the way.
dkoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,979
You’ll get that on your bigger jobs
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
HABBERDABBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison area, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 639
A scam, man

I had an inquiry and interest for a Scamp, years ago. The fellow emailed back and said he was a minister, and would be not be around for a conversation, holding a church service, but he dangled the possibility of a price too good to be true.

The scams are out there, everywhere.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Doug2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London, Ontario
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 720
Sounds like a scam. Make an appointment at the earliest time and go see it. Never send money.


If you offer to send a deposit after a lengthy phone call, that's different.
__________________
2020 Escape 19, AKA The Escape Pod 2
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC Silver
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #12
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,751
The fact you've received no reply gives you your answer. Scammer. Unfortunately there are many of them.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 878
I would reply back that you needed a $3000.00 deposit sent to you to the ensure that he actually had the trailer and that it will be there when you arrive with a clear title in hand lol

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Park, Maine
Trailer: 21NE on order
Posts: 84
Run away. Report the scammer to the forum mods. To make the scam work, the scammer needs to catch the victim's (aka the "mark's") attention with a really good deal and a good story (the "song") to see if they will bite.

A few years back I got a call from a guy I sort of knew from OR (I had sold him some fuel injectors for a VW bus once) who wanted to buy a very nice 1978 VW double cab pickup for a cheap $10K located in Portland, ME. The song and dance was that it was this guys late brother's DC and he was settling the estate. They would pay to also ship the DC to anywhere in the US. The ante to get into the game was $2K at Western Union or some untraceable thing like that. The "song" was that the doublecab was located in Portland, ME, the seller was located in VA, and they were trying to make sure that the mark was interested and thus the cash up front. Everything was a big hurry. They sent him all sorts of photos (of someone else's DC from the internet) and told the mark that the DC was located at a real address in Portland, ME. The mark called me up to go up and look at it, since he sort of knew me and it was close to me. I called the business up (ironically a law office) and they told me that this was the latest scam using their parking lot and they did not even know what a VW DC was. Previously it was a corvette, a 240Z car, and a boat.

The goal is to separate you from your cash in a way that won't bite the scammer as it will take you a while to realize you have been had.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Arlington, Tennessee
Trailer: 1983 Alumalite at hunting camp / WTB 21' or 23' Escape
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Run away. Report the scammer to the forum mods. To make the scam work, the scammer needs to catch the victim's (aka the "mark's") attention with a really good deal and a good story (the "song") to see if they will bite.

A few years back I got a call from a guy I sort of knew from OR (I had sold him some fuel injectors for a VW bus once) who wanted to buy a very nice 1978 VW double cab pickup for a cheap $10K located in Portland, ME. The song and dance was that it was this guys late brother's DC and he was settling the estate. They would pay to also ship the DC to anywhere in the US. The ante to get into the game was $2K at Western Union or some untraceable thing like that. The "song" was that the doublecab was located in Portland, ME, the seller was located in VA, and they were trying to make sure that the mark was interested and thus the cash up front. Everything was a big hurry. They sent him all sorts of photos (of someone else's DC from the internet) and told the mark that the DC was located at a real address in Portland, ME. The mark called me up to go up and look at it, since he sort of knew me and it was close to me. I called the business up (ironically a law office) and they told me that this was the latest scam using their parking lot and they did not even know what a VW DC was. Previously it was a corvette, a 240Z car, and a boat.

The goal is to separate you from your cash in a way that won't bite the scammer as it will take you a while to realize you have been had.
I reported his post and my experience....he'll have to do a lot better than that to separate this TN redneck from my money...LOL.
dkoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri
Trailer: 2021 - 21NE
Posts: 4
As a lawyer, I would advise not to do this. Alternatively, agree to post the money with your lawyer, who can acknowledge receipt, subject to your examining the RV and a later agreement to buy.
Ted Bartelstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Marygee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Trailer: Scamp 16’ 2002
Posts: 4
No, not a common ask.
Marygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bow, Washington
Trailer: 2015 19'
Posts: 8
Don't do it. When I sold my 19' last year the first response came from someone that wanted to buy it using pay pal. This person was trying to scam me. He kept texting me for a week trying different excuses why he could not pay thru a bank.
00tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
Posts: 313
If you found an escape a few hours away make arrangements to view it and get in your car and go look at it. When I am trailer shopping my bags are packed and I can be anywhere within 1K miles by the end of the next day. I have made prior arrangements with my bank for a funds transfer and have enough money for a deposit in hand. Most people will hold a trailer for one or two days if you are a serious buyer. Scammer's disappear once you tell them you tell them you want to view the trailer before giving them a deposit.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Arlington, Tennessee
Trailer: 1983 Alumalite at hunting camp / WTB 21' or 23' Escape
Posts: 14
That's the plan...I'll be putting a deposit down with Escape on a new trailer but will also keep watching for a used trailer that we like....in either case we will be straight cash buyers, no financing will be required.

I clearly knew this guy was a scammer from the first or second email...when he would not budge from his demand that I send him $3,000 deposit BEFORE I could come see it 2-3 hours away...come on....
__________________

dkoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×