Escape model history - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2023, 02:17 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When Reace got towards the end of the year he’d register trailers as the following year. Kind of like buying a new car in November 2022 and having it titled as a 2023. I don’t know as though there were any special
new and different” features or changes to go along with the year change, those would come along “randomly” though out the the year. From my recollection. That’s an early one though for sure.

Iowa Dave
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Does an accurate summary exist of the differences between the Gen1 vs Gen2 versions of each model?

From what I gathered from prior threads, I think the gen 2 versions feature:
- New "flat side" moulds
- Wider standard RV-style door/screen instead of a proprietary moulded door and rollup screen
- Heavier frame (from 3" to 4" in case of the 19)?
- Thicker/better quality gelcoat?
- Higher capacity axles with increased max GTW
- Considerably heavier empty weight
Generally yes, except that the frame change for the 17' and 19' occured before the generation change in the body, 21' and 5.0TA frames probably haven't changed, and axle capacities were tweaked at various times... and I have no idea how (or if) the gelcoat changed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:20 PM   #63

For the overall count and production rate, I'll note that ETI VINs are of a format only provided to low-volume manufacturers, meaning less than 500 units per year. In this format only the final 3 digits are the sequential number, while a regular manufacturer has the final 6 digits available. ETI is now pushing that 500-per-year limit.

A regular manufacturer is identified - with the country of origin - by the first 3 characters of the VIN, called the World Manufacturer Identifier. Low-volume manufacturers in the same country share a WMI ("2E9" in the case of the group in Canada which includes ETI), and are individually identified by 12th through 14th characters ("068" in ETI's case). The factory is identified by the 11th character, and ETI has only one (code "C", presumably for "Chilliwack"). The 4th character - the beginning of the model identification - is always a "T" (presumably for "trailer") on Escapes.

As a result, every Escape has a VIN which looks like:
2E9TxxxxxxxC068nnn
The "xxxxxxx" part is the model identification, a year code, and a check digit (part of the standard VIN design).
Old 01-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #64

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I have no idea how (or if) the gelcoat changed.
The reason I mentioned gelcoat is that I recall a statement made on a couple of recent ETI YouTube videos that Escape "now uses the the highest quality, most UV stable gelcoat available" (specifically stated as an improvement) . To me, that implies that they must have upgraded the gelcoat in some form over what was previously used. I figured that might have coincided with the Gen 1 to Gen 2 change.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the properties of gelcoat. Until recently, my only interaction with moulded fiberglass was the shower/tub enclosure in my bathroom.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:29 PM   #65

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbatus View Post
Hi, I found this thread very interesting, so went out to look at my escape 17b Vin, to see if I could find out, when it was manufactured.
Per the discussion on this thread, can I assume my Escape 17b, is the 5th one manufactured?
my vin/niv: 2E9TF61AEX3C068005
date of manufacture: november 2003
not sure why they said mine is a 2004, when it was manufactured in 2003.
we are the third owners of this Escape
Wow! Indeed your 17 looks like the 5th Escape ever made. This coincides with Reace and Tammy's start of production in 2003. I believe the 10th digit (you added an 'A' on mistake) in your VIN being a '3' means 2003.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I believe the 10th digit (you added an 'A' on mistake) in your VIN being a '3' means 2003.
Yes, the 10th character is the year code and 2003 was "3" (and 2033 will be "3" as well).

Wikipedia: Vehicle identification number / Model year encoding
Old 02-15-2023, 06:38 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hi Dave,
I hope you are doing well. I just had the chance to see our trailer yesterday and to be honest never even paid any attention to the ID sticker on the outside. The last three numbers in our VIN #848 and it says manufactured 05/2014. So based on this thread would that make our 21C the 848th trailer they manufactured? Any idea where it would be in the list of 21C's manufactured? I'm guessing at least one of the first twenty.

All the best and THANKS in advance,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:32 AM   #68

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Hi Dave,
I hope you are doing well. I just had the chance to see our trailer yesterday and to be honest never even paid any attention to the ID sticker on the outside. The last three numbers in our VIN #848 and it says manufactured 05/2014. So based on this thread would that make our 21C the 848th trailer they manufactured? Any idea where it would be in the list of 21C's manufactured? I'm guessing at least one of the first twenty.
Hi Steve. Last three of #848 means you have the 848th Escape built. We know from Iowa Dave's previous post that Tom from Seattle has the third 21 made with last three 763. Hard to tell exactly how many 21's were made before you because all models are in the sequence but I'm sure Reace was busy with 21 orders as it was the hot new model. Given that production started mid-2013 and your production date is almost a year and 85 total trailers later I think you might be a bit further in than the first twenty but that is just a guess.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:25 AM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Reace told Tom and me at the 2019 Escape rally that he originally built three first run trailers. One he used as his own long enough to take it to the rally where he announced the “deal” on the first 10, the second for a nephew I think he said, who still had the trailer and one for a customer who said he take the
Prototype model. Reace said the response to the offer was immediate and that before he could “get the orders shut off” he had promised (sold) 13 trailers. As I posted ours is #766 and was the sixth one built.
Tom’s is #763. So Steve does have a pretty early trailer. I think Reace said they used their trailer for a while and then it was sold as a demo trailer.
The early ones had low point drains that were soon discontinued. Ours was built without solar so after we bought it from AZJack and Nancy we took it home to iowa, loaded it up and headed for Chilliwack where we got a 190 panel installed and had a great vacation including North Cascades National Park where we hadn’t previously visited. We wore out the tires I had installed in 2017 when we got it and put new ones on last spring in 2022. We’re about 40,000 plus miles with the 21. Big weather coming in they say but “cheap” butter at the supermarket today at $3 a pound so I gotta stick up.
Have a great day
Iowa Dave

Iowa Dave