How to get comfortable with towing a trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2023, 10:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
How to get comfortable with towing a trailer

We are the proud owners of a 17B which we plan to pick up in Sumas in about three weeks. For the last 30 years we have traveled in medium sized motor homes; the last trailer we towed was a pop-up tent trailer that we sold in the late 1980's. We will be towing with a Ford F150. As the date approaches I am more than a little bit intimidated by the prospect of towing our Escape.

I am hoping that, like riding a bicycle, muscle memory will help me to get back up to speed. Still, I would prefer that my first trailer towing experience in this century not be pulling out of Bob's Burghers Burgers and Brews and that I will not have to relearn how to back up a trailer at our first night's camping site at the Oostema Farmstead.

So, how have others approached learning or relearning how to safely tow a camping trailer? What has worked best for you? Are there any particularly helpful Youtubes or other resources?

We are thinking of renting a U-Haul trailer for a day to get a taste of driving in traffic and on freeways and to practice backing. Does this seem like overkill?
Mountain Air is offline   Reply With Quote