Is the PSI really 65 for the Escape 19 tires? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Per the sticker on our 2020 19' Escape, 50 PSI.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220211_125247 (1).jpg  
Old 03-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #22

Trailer: Leaning towards a new 21’
Inflation charts and TPMS

New guy question( delivery scheduled in May ‘22 for an NE). Given that Escape placards tire pressure, how should the tire manufacturer’s inflation charts be used, if at all? Perhaps I’m overthinking (again), but I plan on using a TPMS and an infrared temp gun during walk arounds at rest stops.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember these temperatures mentioned are "cold", not while in use. You can start out with 50 psi and then when checking the reading maybe higher, but do not let any air out until the tires are cold again (at rest, overnight). I check mine before starting a trip and will wait until the next morning, before moving, to check again.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember these temperatures mentioned are "cold", not while in use. You can start out with 50 psi and then when checking the reading maybe higher, but do not let any air out until the tires are cold again (at rest, overnight). I check mine before starting a trip and will wait until the next morning, before moving, to check again.
Understood. Are the tire inflation charts of any use?
Old 03-03-2022, 04:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
Given that Escape placards tire pressure, how should the tire manufacturer’s inflation charts be used, if at all?
The tire manufacturer's charts (which are the same for every manufacturer of the same type of tire following the same standards) give the minimum inflation pressure for a given load. The inflation pressure recommended by Escape is high enough to provide sufficient load capacity for the fully loaded trailer, so they don't conflict with the tire manufacturer's load/inflation chart... once you have confirmed that (if you have any doubt), you don't need the charts any more.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The tire manufacturer's charts (which are the same for every manufacturer of the same type of tire following the same standards) give the minimum inflation pressure for a given load. The inflation pressure recommended by Escape is high enough to provide sufficient load capacity for the fully loaded trailer, so they don't conflict with the tire manufacturer's load/inflation chart... once you have confirmed that (if you have any doubt), you don't need the charts any more.
The charts are fine for a starting point. Then you have to plan for a worst case where one tire of a dual axle has failed and a single tire is now carrying twice the load that it would in normal circumstances. Then you also have to consider if the pressure is high enough to give a good wear pattern, high enough to dissipate summer heat in West Texas (maybe no tire can do that), and high enough to provide proper sway stability for a loaded trailer. It is a reasonable assumption that the manufacture has taken all this into consideration.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:27 AM   #27

Thank you all for the clarification. Running the placarded tire pressure combined with a TPMS seems to me a prudent way to provide both an added level of safety in case of a blowout and an early indication of impending failure. As a pilot, I appreciate redundancy in a system.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:39 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
The charts are fine for a starting point. Then you have to plan for a worst case where one tire of a dual axle has failed and a single tire is now carrying twice the load that it would in normal circumstances. Then you also have to consider if the pressure is high enough to give a good wear pattern, high enough to dissipate summer heat in West Texas (maybe no tire can do that), and high enough to provide proper sway stability for a loaded trailer. It is a reasonable assumption that the manufacture has taken all this into consideration.
When that happens, I would just change the tire rather than driving on 3 of the 4!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
With a 12 volt inflator it is possible to try various pressures while on an extended trip to learn what performance the owner prefers. The tire wear factor is considerably influenced by pressure adjustments. Road temperature makes a difference too. Like a lot of things it is satisfying to adjust variables to a “sweet spot” if you want to take the time and pay attention to conditions at hand.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... Then you have to plan for a worst case where one tire of a dual axle has failed and a single tire is now carrying twice the load that it would in normal circumstances.
I don't think you do: when you get a flat, stop - the other tire will be fine for the short time involved. Some people get one flat on a tandem-axle trailer and continue, destroying the other tire on that side by overloading and overheating it.

There is a tandem-axle factor to consider: in any tandem setup, and particularly with the non-equalized system used by Escape (Dexter Torflex), the two axles don't necessarily carry the same load. Inflation pressure must allow for the effects of off-level trailer attitude and unequal tire inflation, which result in unequal load on the axles.

But I agree with this:
Quote:
It is a reasonable assumption that the manufacture has taken all this into consideration.
50 PSI is fine, given all of the factors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote