Is the top of your fiberglass Escape rough? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Not sure who you have spoken with from Escape, but call and ask for Samuel.
I found him to be helpful and effective.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Willy, does the roughness show up in a photo? If so, people who are receiving build photos may want to start requesting a roof shot.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #23

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Willy, does the roughness show up in a photo? If so, people who are receiving build photos may want to start requesting a roof shot.
it does not show up in a photo.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Work the problem, sky is still up

My 2016 E19 has areas of missing gelcoat on the bottom side. Not from damage, not 600 grit roughness, but missing, & gone. Likely left back in the mold. This E19 is a "classic" built by the original creators of Escape. I bought used. I could repair that, but I'm not concerned as it is a cosmetic defect in a unseen area.

Talk to some yacht owner sometime after his mega $$$money purchase of a fiberglass boat. You'll likely hear comments about gel coat cracks. Again, a PITA, and much reduced these days with gel coat formulations, but they still happen. And they tend to happen in locations of high stress. A trailer going down the road is, as our wise moderator Donna has noted......an earthquake going down the road.

I am not trying to dismiss or minimize your concerns but saying instead that cosmetic defects in new, complex fiberglass products are frequent but disturbing. As a new Escape owner, get ready to patch, fix, replace and trouble shoot a multiple of issues. Use your warranty, but ETI is 2K miles away for help.

bon voyage,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:43 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Maybe if you are concerned about the longevity, find a fiberglass place that would inspect and give you an estimate. Then you would know by asking if it”s a cosmetic polish, or something that could cause future deterioration. It would also give you something in writing to ETI if it’s more than cosmetic. Since it won’t photograph, it’s likely only cosmetic, but without more info, we are making best guesses. If it’s rough, it can still be easily cleaned. Lots of folks, including myself, clean nonskid boat decks. Something like Starbrite Deck Cleaner should work nicely. My top is smooth, but definitely not as polished as the sides. With use, the top simply won’t stay as nice as the sides.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Maybe if you are concerned about the longevity, find a fiberglass place that would inspect and give you an estimate. Then you would know by asking if it”s a cosmetic polish, or something that could cause future deterioration. It would also give you something in writing to ETI if it’s more than cosmetic. Since it won’t photograph, it’s likely only cosmetic, but without more info, we are making best guesses. If it’s rough, it can still be easily cleaned. Lots of folks, including myself, clean nonskid boat decks. Something like Starbrite Deck Cleaner should work nicely. My top is smooth, but definitely not as polished as the sides. With use, the top simply won’t stay as nice as the sides.
Thanks for the suggestions. Great Idea!
Old 11-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 E21C
WilllyB I read your first post with ETI's response to you and forced myself to count to 10 ten times prior to responding. ETI's response is unacceptable to put it mildly. I just applied a coat of Meguiar's Flagship to the roof of our 2020 21C. This roof was shiny and smooth prior to this application and is now brilliant shiny, smooth and "slippery" as I would expect a new trailer to be. I personally would not consider this to be an aesthetic only issue.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
They setup my Fastway E2 hitch a couple of inches too low. After multiple questions about why I needed the 8-hole drop hitch on my 18 1/2” bottom of receiver height they said I needed it. No response yet on if Escape will pay to have the hitch setup correctly and pay me back for the 8-hole drop that was not needed.
I was going to mention that you looked low when I saw your pic posted here from pickup but wasn’t sure if it was the angle or maybe I was splitting hairs.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post433168

I agree you could have probably gotten away with a 6 hole shank but you should be able to just move the hitch head up a couple holes and be done.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
What can you say, but it isn’t Reese and Tammy selling Escape Trailers anymore. We love our 2016 Escape 19 classic.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I was going to mention that you looked low when I saw your pic posted here from pickup but wasn’t sure if it was the angle or maybe I was splitting hairs.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post433168

I agree you could have probably gotten away with a 6 hole shank but you should be able to just move the hitch head up a couple holes and be done.
I could move it up. It's only two bolts. But I don't own a torque wrench, or a wrenches of that size, capable of that many ft/lbs.. I think it's something like 225 ft/lbs..

Since Escape owns a F150 you would think they were capable of doing it right the first time.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #31

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I could move it up. It's only two bolts. But I don't own a torque wrench, or a wrenches of that size, capable of that many ft/lbs.. I think it's something like 225 ft/lbs..

Since Escape owns a F150 you would think they were capable of doing it right the first time.
Not sure about that specific tool, but a tool rental isn’t real expensive, or Autozone type shops also might work for a quick loaner.

As far as quality workmanship, I’ve become accustomed to that being a unicorn.
I have a friend who can build you a house ground up, best I’ve ever seen. Most of the younger guys have no interest in learning what he could teach them.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #32

Trailer: WTB: E19
Willy ...again, do a quick polish and move forward

Willy,

I know how frustrating this is for you.

When a few issues add up it becomes a concern especially when it is a premium product.

With that being said, see if you can polish the roof and get the hitch set up right.

If you don't polish it yourself, you can go to Stateamind Marine on Ford Road for polishing the roof and Uhaul on Dunn Road for the hitch adjustment.

Get these items dfixed up and you will still be upset but at least you can move on. Things will get better.

Bill
Escape_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #33

The rest of my Escape seems to be top notch and I'm sure I'll get this all worked out. But this whole issue isn't just about the extra money I have to spend or the additional time I have to waste fixing Escape's errors.

I expected much much more from Escape and purchased based on their reputation. Everyone makes jokes about "stickies" and their shell construction quality reputation. I'm not seeing much difference with Escape so far.

The word "cosmetics" has been noted about my cracked gelcoat on my less than one month old Escape. When is the next crack coming? Did they mess up the entire gelcoat? I'm sure nobody would be happy with or except a "cosmetic" cracked up paint job on their brand new Lexus/Jeep/Mercedes/Volvo/BMW/Cadillac/Denali.

Future buyers should be aware of this, especially on the fiberglass, when they are making decisions about an Escape.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Our September 2021 21NE is very smooth, even under the two solar panels. QC must be lagging. :-(
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #35

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Perhaps, at some point, the current level of attention to detail at ETI will trigger buyers/owners to speak up and not just buy into the notion that it is what it is.
You said it brother.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

The word "cosmetics" has been noted about my cracked gelcoat on my less than one month old Escape.
Can you post a photo of the gelcoat crack?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Can you post a photo of the gelcoat crack?

Ron
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Star2.jpg  
Old 11-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #38

Willy I am having a hard time seeing it
Old 11-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Willy I am having a hard time seeing it
Click on the picture and you will see the cracking
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #40

Opening it on my computer full size and I definitely see them now, myself I would need that repaired.