New ETI Completion Dates Video - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
New ETI Completion Dates Video

ETI just posted a video on their changes to the build capacity and how it affects orders, waitlist, etc.

It looks like people can start getting their trailers sooner through a couple of new mechanisms.

Well worth watching...
https://youtu.be/jTAWPIwROeM
camp4528 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
that is an exciting video for people who have late 2021 and 2022 delivery dates. Sounds like august of 2022 and earlier trailers have a good chance for 2021 completion dates. The inventory trailers they will build can further move the needle if everything goes correctly.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Considering a Fiberglass Egg
Seems like a logical approach especially the no new options but also means => expect to hear more “sorry no” to the special requests and customer supplied choices. Didn’t say direct but that was my impression when Karl said we’re providing more options than any others.

Here’s hoping the can include updating their build practices for meeting code standards as part of their streamlining process
MZL1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Been watching the video several time since last night, but not sure I'm more confused...
  • I understand the increase production (e.g. great news as long as quality is sustained).
  • Not sure I understand the inventory builds VS just building peoples trailers. Guessing they can build those set configuration trailers faster and/or easier to test the new production line, train new builders, etc. with those standard builds...
  • Not sure I understand why they say they are getting rid of the wait list. Unless, what they are really saying is currently the "preferred completion month" which is given at time of deposit is really a static unrealistic date, the change will be the new "earliest completion date" is more realistic.
  • Sounds like everybody who has put down a deposit will get new dates assigned to them. Is that correct?
bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
Not sure I understand the inventory builds VS just building peoples trailers. Guessing they can build those set configuration trailers faster and/or easier to test the new production line, train new builders, etc. with those standard builds...
Not sure either. How much faster could they build the inventory trailers if the are highly optioned anyway? It seems to me this just gives an opportunity for customers with long wait times to jump the line and snag a trailer. Why not just focus on getting scheduled customer builds done faster? Escape never used to have inventory trailers....it’s because you can’t keep them in inventory! Go back to building inventory trailers at times that production might slow down.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

The other thing that's strange to me is that they act as if the expected completion date currently in the system reflects the order sequence.

I have a March 2022 date, but I could have picked January 2022 when I put down the deposit. I didn't pick the earliest possible date because I didn't want the trailer in the middle of winter.

What I'm hoping now is that they are offering the move up dates based on the deposit dates, not the selected build month.

I also don't really understand the very last part they discussed about inventory trailers. I do understand building up a bunch of high-featured but not custom trailers in the first half of 2021 to move up people as fast as possible. It also at first seemed that these would be sequentially offered to people with deposits in order. But then right at the end of the video it sounded like these units would be available to anyone? That doesn't make sense as it would kick off a frenzy most likely. Hopefully the reality was as I first understood it, people at the front of the line (but with late 2021 builds) will get a shot at a spring delivery if they are willing to forgo a custom unit.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
[QUOTE=MZL1312;368968]Seems like a logical approach especially the no new options but also means => expect to hear more “sorry no” to the special requests and customer supplied choices. Didn’t say direct but that was my impression when Karl said we’re providing more options than any others. /QUOTE]

That was my impression also, and there are a few off the list things that I would like. We’ll see when it happens.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #8

JefferyG you can still wait for March 22, but at a higher price than late 21. I always counted on my Feb 22 date being rolled into late 21. I love the PNW, but can’t get the trailer for less than the 2K delivery charge. Our next trips are most likely the mid Atlantic states and the southwest. If you are planning a trip around the pick up, then yes that really is a bummer. I might have held out a few months on 22 options, but since there are none, and I don’t want the mentioned Truma system anyway, 21 works well for me. I really hope you can find a great solution to your desires.

I too don’t see the equality in inventory units when many folks just want their trailer as soon as they can get it.

From a business standpoint, pumping out inventory trailers a little faster than orders makes financial sense given how easy these things are to sell right now. They can order in items for a set level of options a head of time and roll them down the line.

My guess is, now I won’t get my off list options and will be ripping into my trailer when I get it. So, it will still be Feb 22, but now I’ll likely be the one doing the work.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Dates?

Hi: All... Looks to me like they want to do what they want... not what you want!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #10

Alf, I think that’s been true the last couple of years, and they are tightening the screws to become a standard production company. Based on the video implications, they will outsource more, and not add a second shift to keep labor costs down. As I’ve mentioned before, I think I waited 3 years too long to order a trailer. 19 was probably the last year to really have, “Escape Trailers! Built for You!”. Not that they shouldn’t make a profit, but the meaning of “built for you” is not what it used to mean. I’m still eager to get my Escape, but it’s my first, last, and only new RV. Since I hope it’s my last, one of the reasons that I chose it was to really have it built for my needs. I’ll still enjoy the trailer and have fun. Traveling and camping is fun no matter what the equipment is.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21NE
My Take on the video (I watched it 3 times)

- The increase in inventory trailers is being done for two reasons: 1) They don't have to go through the time of working with a custom build which could be a month of back-and-forth before a build is finalized and 2) as they increase production capacity the newer employees on the production line can focus on standard build procedures.

- Karl specifically said the inventory trailers will be offered to people on the current deposit list first - then, if they are not purchased by someone who already has a deposit down they will be offered to the general public

- The "requested completion date" is not realistic and they understand that. For example, I put my deposit down on Nov 1, 2020 and my "requested completion" was April, 2021 with "guaranteed completion" of April 2022. The new ECD (estimated completion date) is an attempt to be more "realistic" about when you will actually get your custom trailer. EVERYONE on the current deposit list will be contacted with their ECD. I like this...

- Karl said they are not going to introduce new "options" for 2021/2022. Keeping a static list of standard options will help them get trailers out the door faster

- Karl said they would start reaching out earlier to people on the deposit list for "finalizing" their build. I can imagine the finalization of a build can be a "problem" for keeping the line moving on the deadlines they promised. Whereas some people know what they want and commit quickly, I can imagine some customers go back-and-forth quite a bit.

Net-Net: They are doing what they can to increase production and reduce delivery times. Some people will jump on an inventory trailer which will reduce delivery time for all of us.
I appreciate them going the extra mile to explain what they are doing; most companies would just say, we have a waiting list, deal with it

Cheers and hope everyone waiting gets their trailer soon!
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #12

Edit: John posted his reply while I was working on this. We can compare notes!!!.

I think the new proposed approach makes sense to me. This is my understanding to help clarify things for me, and to solicit comments where I might have misunderstood.
  • Their current build process is 10 trailers a week. This known capacity will be directed to existing orders until late July.
  • They are hoping to build about 2 extra trailers a week while they figure out how many they can build in their new assembly process. Rather than committing to a build rate which then sets customer expectations with delivery dates, they will direct these builds to well-optioned inventory trailers until the end of July. The approximately 60 trailers will be offered first to customers who've placed deposits, and if they're not sold within a week or so, will be offered to the general public. I imagine they're well-optioned both to increase revenue, and to make sure they've worked out the kinks with the new options. It will be just like the car dealership where the cars on the lot tend to have more options. It's not clear how they will decide who gets to buy an inventory trailer - first come first served was mentioned, but I think it would be fairer to use the deposit date/order number to choose the "winning" buyer from all the existing customers who express interest in a given trailer.
  • By late spring, they'll know what their production rate will be and will then direct this increased capacity to fulfilling orders, starting in August 2021. To do this, customers with deposits will be offered an Earliest Completion Date which they can choose to accept, or stay with their assigned production date when they made their deposit. I think it would be fair again to use the deposit date rather than the production date for this process. The ECD is not guaranteed, but is as accurate as possible. Customers can choose the ECD, or their original date.
  • To plan with the supply side of the build process, customers choosing the ECD will be asked to provide option sheets earlier so that parts can be brought into inventory. To support this, the option list has been frozen for 2021 and 2022. [No compressor fridge for the Escape 5 - ] As well, ETI will be publishing a more comprehensive planning document, to help customers understand the build options. This will be available soon.
  • Trailers delivered in 2021 will have 2021 purchase and delivery pricing. 2022 prices haven't been set, but there was some grumbling by Karl that resin prices have gone up.
  • The current wait list is being replaced with the ECD process for now. This allows ETI to determine what ETI can do, rather than leaving it to the customer to hope for something. As I mentioned above, I would expect the deposit date will still play a role both in the purchase of inventory trailers and determining the ECD, but it was not mentioned explicitly. They may reinstate the wait list process sometime in the future.
  • An update on the Escape 23 will be coming very soon.

I agree that the configuration flexibility seems to be lessening, but there's still a way lot of choice, including custom decor and many construction and equipment options. So I am content with increased standardization as long as the quality remains high. I'm not a builder/modifier, but would be very content with a "well-optioned" inventory Escape 5.0. :-)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Nicely stated Steve! I can imagine they will find quite a few customers on the existing deposit list who might jump on an inventory trailer that is "close" to what they want. I will certainly look them over in case one is close enough for me, but I'm also okay with waiting to get the trailer I have spec'd.

Looking forward to the notification of my ECD!
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
JefferyG you can still wait for March 22, but at a higher price than late 21. I always counted on my Feb 22 date being rolled into late 21.
I'll take a 2021 date for sure, but I really want one in Aug/Sept. If the acceleration works like Karl described and they go by the dates people placed their deposits, that should be what happens. When I placed my deposit I could pick any date I wanted in 2022, which suggests to me that I was one of the earliest of the people who missed a 2021 build date and got pushed into 2022.

My only lament was that Karl almost made it sound like they were moving people up based on build date, not deposit date. But presumably if you were the first person who made a 2022 deposit but picked June (for example) they would not move all the people who picked earlier months ahead of you.

Quote:
I too don’t see the equality in inventory units when many folks just want their trailer as soon as they can get it.
The inventory trailers will be fine so long as they create a list of them and just go down the deposit list in order offering one to each person in turn until they are gone. Any other method would be chaos.

Karl wasn't really clear one way or the other in how the inventory units will be allocated, but in the early part of the video he did seem to suggest that they will move a lot of late 2021 build schedule holders into the spring, which suggests they will be doing it as I describe.

Then in turn, the people who placed the first 2022 deposits should be able to move into those later 2021 build slots. That's why I'm hopeful I can get into September or even August.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Overall I think they are being reasonable and upfront about what is being done for the unprecedented demand, and the associated growing pains. I'm eager to see how the new 23 will fit into all of this...
Old 01-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
I will certainly look them over in case one is close enough for me, but I'm also okay with waiting to get the trailer I have spec'd
Like JeffreyG, the date when my deposit was made in early Oct was Jan 2022, but I chose April 2022 to avoid a winter pickup. Given how COVID is playing out, April 2022 may be safer for North American travel anyway, but I will be looking forward to seeing my ECD as well as looking at what comes up "on the car lot".

It's all very exciting.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #17

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
I think that they are taking a measured approach & Karl is saying the right things. It sounds like they are having supply chain issues like everyone else right now and want to lock that in a little better...so, they will be asking for folks to declare their choices sooner and fixing them for the inventory units so that they can handle the longer lead times.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #18

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
[*] To plan with the supply side of the build process, customers choosing the ECD will be asked to provide option sheets earlier so that parts can be brought into inventory. To support this, the option list has been frozen for 2021 and 2022. [No compressor fridge for the Escape 5 - ] As well, ETI will be publishing a more comprehensive planning document, to help customers understand the build options. This will be available soon.
They are have added the Norcold DC558 compressor fridge as an option to the trailers with smaller units...in one of the videos, Samuels states that you can request it in another unit. That's my plan if they stay with the propane fridge for the 5.0. I would rather have a smaller compressor fridge than a larger propane unit. Those things sip DC power.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Smile nothing but favorable, IMO

Interesting update, it all makes basically good business sense to me, not gonna try to read anything into all the why's and wherefore's and gonna stay positive with the notion that quality will be maintained. IMO this sort of thing from ETI demonstrates (again) a remarkable degree of 'customer interest transparency' for a business of their scale.

From my admittedly selfish perspective ...
  • I'm still content with my original August 18 (this year - 2021) completion date, it works well for a number of personal reasons
  • I've now got renewed optimism, hopefully not misplaced, that I won't be subject to component delivery issues delaying that original commitment by ETI as some have apparently recently suffered
  • I trust that the few 'off-books customizations' which have been committed and recommitted by my sales rep will indeed be accommodated
  • I'm receptive to accelerating my build-sheet 'lock-in' / 'commitment date' as Karl alluded to for folks on my schedule - I'm ready and will respond promptly if offered that request by ETI
  • Still hoping (perhaps unrealistically) that the covid situation will have evolved to allow me to drive across the border to ETI for an 'old days' visit, trailer once-over, hitch check-out, and orientation prior to returning to Sumas for actual hand-off .... we'll see ...
Bottom line, methinks ETI still offers a compelling product at a compelling price and all wrapped in compellingly favorable customer-friendly approach. It may not be perfect, it may not be ideal for everyone, it may not be the same as 'the good old days', but what is, especially in the RV marketplace?

I'm anticipating with no shortage of confidence that the end result of my business relationship with ETI will be many years of RVing enjoyment, even expecting a few minor hiccups may arise. YMMV.

Signed,
The Eternal Optimist
Old 01-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Eternal Optimist, I like that. Also the statement that having fun camping is the goal. I like that too. From the basic Escapes, Casitas and all other fiberglass, old or new, it’s possible to have fun and meet great people with all of them.
Iowa Dave