Northern Lites Boreal Now Competition for Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Northern Lites Boreal Now Competition for Escape?

A notice about a new Northern Lites trailer called the Boreal just turned up on a Bigfoot Facebook page. It's a 27'6" streamlined molded-fiberglass trailer they say will be available this Fall:

https://northern-lite.com/boreal-23f...xVUjhi3RrJ1vxQ

Northern Lite truck campers is owned by the same company that owns Escape Trailers. So now these two will be competing in the trailer market?

Obviously the Boreal will be much larger than anything Escape is making now, or planning (AFAIK), bigger even than the 25' Bigfoot. So maybe it's not direct competition. But it is upstaging the eventual rollout of the Escape 23, is it not?
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
A notice about a new Northern Lites trailer called the Boreal just turned up on a Bigfoot Facebook page. It's a 27'6" streamlined molded-fiberglass trailer they say will be available this Fall:

Northern Lite truck campers is owned by the same company that owns Escape Trailers. So now these two will be competing in the trailer market?

Obviously the Boreal will be much larger than anything Escape is making now, or planning (AFAIK), bigger even than the 25' Bigfoot. So maybe it's not direct competition. But it is upstaging the eventual rollout of the Escape 23, is it not?
They seem to be about a year behind schedule......
Old 02-01-2022, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 E19
Is this what's known as "Vaporware"? Since it was going to roll out in 2021, perhaps they should show an image of a REAL trailer in 2022.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
It's a totally different animal, despite being FG like Escape. I don't regard it as 'competition' for any Escape model. Not that it matters, since ETI can't keep up with demand anyhow!
Old 02-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
Is this what's known as "Vaporware"? Since it was going to roll out in 2021, perhaps they should show an image of a REAL trailer in 2022.
In 2013, I put down a big chunk of cash based on a Photoshop picture and a layout written on a cocktail napkin. Sometimes you just need to have faith... and then the Escape 5.0TA was born in March 2014. Since I got number ten, I'm guessing there were nine other faithful ahead of me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 E19
I admit to being confused....In 2020, Northern Lite was press releasing their 23FB trailer with a body length of 23 feet. In 2021 they press released their 27FB trailer with a body length of 23 feet. Typo?
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
Looking at the stats, I believe Northern Lite's trailer will have a body that is 23' long and a overall trailer hitch-to-bumper length of 27'.

I see this as more of a direct competitor to the Bigfoot 25RQ, rather than the upcoming Escape 23. The Northern Lite will be a true 4-season design and is projected to have a GVW 3000lbs heaver than the Escape.

I think the 23 is targeted at those who like the size of a Bigfoot or Oliver, but are willing to sacrifice 4-season capability and live with fewer features in exchange for a lighter build and (hopefully) lower price point......
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
The virtual version is very light, just a few thousand pixels. You can tow it with a Tesla Cybertruck right now!
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It's a totally different animal, despite being FG like Escape. I don't regard it as 'competition' for any Escape model. Not that it matters, since ETI can't keep up with demand anyhow!
Good point. And, I should add, a little more competition would help open up the market and make it easier for some of us to find both new and used Escapes.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
I admit to being confused....In 2020, Northern Lite was press releasing their 23FB trailer with a body length of 23 feet. In 2021 they press released their 27FB trailer with a body length of 23 feet. Typo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Looking at the stats, I believe Northern Lite's trailer will have a body that is 23' long and a overall trailer hitch-to-bumper length of 27'.
Escapes and some other travel trailers, particularly those constructed of moulded fiberglass, have model designations corresponding to their overall length, from bumper to coupler as noted above. It is more common in the RV industry to designate travel trailers by body length, which is shorter than the overall length by the lengths of the tongue and bumper.

As Selkirk explained the new Northern Lite 27B with a body length of 23 feet is consistent with typical moulded fiberglass travel trailers; calling the same size trailer a "23B" would follow the other industry practice instead.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
The virtual version is very light, just a few thousand pixels. You can tow it with a Tesla Cybertruck right now!

Cyber Humor......
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #12

The Northern Lite "Boreal" trailer has been mentioned in this forum a few times since it was announced - try a Google search for "boreal" in this site if you're interested in previous discussions.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:15 PM   #13

I just had another look at the Northern Lite "sneak peek" page, and I wouldn't put too much faith in any of the specifications. They are showing 600 pounds of hitch weight and 6,500 - 7,500 pounds of "unit base weight", both "with LP and Batteries". Why would there be a 1,000 pound variation in base weight, since by definition that excludes options? Why would there be variance in the base weight, but not the hitch (tongue) weight? Would they seriously build a trailer with only 8% to 9.2% tongue weight?
Old 02-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I just had another look at the Northern Lite "sneak peek" page, and I wouldn't put too much faith in any of the specifications. They are showing 600 pounds of hitch weight and 6,500 - 7,500 pounds of "unit base weight", both "with LP and Batteries". Why would there be a 1,000 pound variation in base weight, since by definition that excludes options? Why would there be variance in the base weight, but not the hitch (tongue) weight? Would they seriously build a trailer with only 8% to 9.2% tongue weight?
I wonder whether they thought they were building a 23-footer to compete with Escape, and then realized that the 23-foot mold required another 4 feet of tongue. That might account for the confusing use of '23' and '27' in their brochure.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On preliminary comments, to me it’s just spitballing. Lots of things are said to pique potential customers interest. Somewhere, there are R and D guys and Engineers setting around a table with with a pitcher of beer saying, “Where the hell did they get those numbers?”

Happens all the time with features, costs, weights of proposed new releases. The tough part comes in when a company sells a new machine that’s not designed or built yet. But that happens too. I say more power to them, but don’t bet the farm on an initial press release.
The Northern Light truck camper I was in a couple years ago was very nice. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 02-02-2022, 05:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Because they know that if they published a realistic tongue weight (900 lbs), anyone with knowledge would realize the loaded trailer tongue will be >1000 lbs and not something that can be towed by a large swath of tow vehicles.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Because they know that if they published a realistic tongue weight (900 lbs), anyone with knowledge would realize the loaded trailer tongue will be >1000 lbs and not something that can be towed by a large swath of tow vehicles.
Perhaps. Bigfoot RV publishes tongue weights which look more plausible, as a fraction of trailer weight:
25B25FB: 5563 lb / 2524 kg base dry weight, 612 lb / 277 kg hitch (11%)
25B25RQ: 4863 lb / 2206 kg base dry weight, 610 lb / 277 kg hitch (13%)
The Boreal is bizarrely much heavier despite only two feet more length, likely leading to a significantly higher tongue weight.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Perhaps. Bigfoot RV publishes tongue weights which look more plausible, as a fraction of trailer weight:
25B25FB: 5563 lb / 2524 kg base dry weight, 612 lb / 277 kg hitch (11%)
25B25RQ: 4863 lb / 2206 kg base dry weight, 610 lb / 277 kg hitch (13%)
The Boreal is bizarrely much heavier despite only two feet more length, likely leading to a significantly higher tongue weight.
The Bigfoot trailers are real things that exist, so the tongue weights are more likely to be correct (at least correct for an empty trailer without options).

The Boreal is vaporware for the moment. What I was driving at is some understanding of how to market vaporware. You need some sexy computer renderings, a floorplan, and some invented specs. If you list, for example, "tongue weight 1080 lbs" then some future buyer will peruse the specs and think "I'd have to buy a new, heavy duty truck to pull this thing." And then that person might lose interest or feel like they can't afford both the vaporware and the new truck.

So you keep the tongue weight guess low. That gets more people excited for the trailer. And if the vaporware ever does become reality, those possible buyers may be so invested in wanting the trailer that they will talk themselves into proceeding and buy the new heavy duty truck as well.

It's adjacent to how the stick built industry names everything "XXX Lite". Then the brochure includes weights that exclude "options" like AC, stove, and awning. But unlike an Escape trailer, those things are not really options and come on every single trailer. So they literally never build a trailer that weighs as little as the brochure number.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:18 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post

Wow, look at the low profile tires on that! Bet it will corner great on the racetrack! /s
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
That’s a pretty fancy rig. I’m sure this latest information will generate a lot of comment, criticism and questions. I remember when a neighbor kid got a new watch that was marked “waterproof”. It wasn’t. So, time will tell.

On the positive side, all of us who comment on the forums and need a factory backed up answer to “I want a true four season trailer, that sleeps 4, fits my wife’s 6’6” 325 pound frame, is stylish and can be towed with my little F-550 pickup can now answer “Buy that new Northern Lites rig and you’re set”. Should save us some time.

Next up the 9.0 TRATH: 29 1/2 feet long, Trippple Axle Toy Hauler and beyond

Iowa Dave