Poll re Escape Quality - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: When was your trailer built and how was the quality
<=2019 Pretty Happy 51 61.45%
>=2020 Pretty Happy 19 22.89%
<=2019 Major Issues with Build (e.g., construction, wiring, plumbing) 1 1.20%
>=2020 Major Issues with Build (e.g., construction, wiring, plumbing) 1 1.20%
<=2019 Major Issues with Add-ons (appliances, electric, etc) 5 6.02%
>=2020 Major Issues with Add-ons (appliances, electric, etc) 4 4.82%
<=2019 Minor Issues with Build 4 4.82%
>=2020 Minor Issues with Build 8 9.64%
<=2019 Minor Issues with Add-ons 3 3.61%
>=2020 Minor Issues with Add-ons 3 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For me, this poll is just not something I would ever partake in. T0 result in a fair summary it would have to be more of a survey than a poll. This would address particular aspects of the trailers where some may have an issue, and not make it a one vote fits all approach. As well it starts with 'Pretty Happy', a very low level of acceptance as top category. What about 'Quite Happy' or 'Very Happy', both showing a higher level of acceptance. I personally would be in one of the higher categories. Not at the level of finish I would personally do, but then, I am expensive to hire.

While there have been build issues in the past, like the 19 frame of which I really doubt anyone had more of a bad result with than I did, but these build issues have been resolved. I find the build quality overall to be very good, and I am a building and renovation contractor.

The products bought to install are a totally different story. Escape is doing what they can to provide as much quality in these products, yet keep the price down to an affordable and at least meet the average in other manufacturers. If they shopped for, and used, the best available product to use the prices of trailers would sore and create more controversy. Trust me, I opted to do my own cabinetry finish with products I bought and with me doing the work it still cost me WAY more than Escape would have charged. I did it because I could and I wanted something a bit different, and am very happy with the results. If someone was to pay for the upgrades I did they would have to add something like $10k in parts and labour. Sure, some would go for this, but the majority would not, and a manufacturer just could not feasibly set up for this situation.

In my opinion, regardless of a few small issues, I still think Escape is a great product, one capable of folks using to create wonderful memories while out adventuring with. Three siblings in my family, all with an Escape, and for the most part very happy with what they have. I love being happy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #62

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

In my opinion, regardless of a few small issues, I still think Escape is a great product, one capable of folks using to create wonderful memories while out adventuring with.
Yep—Word. For me, our Escape is a valued means to an end.

12 years old to present 71:
Tenting or sleeping bag on a ground cloth—&gt; car camping with tent —&gt; rented pop up —&gt; 11’ aluminum tear drop trailer —&gt; 17B —&gt; soon a fresh baked 5.0. Great memories, good camping times. Hopefully more to come!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:53 PM   #63

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Poll summary after 7 days

First and foremost, my sincere thanks to all the contributors to this thread, whether you “voted” or not. The comments have been very constructive and on point for the topic.

The image is a point-in-time snapshot of the poll results after 7 days.

I know this is not a scientific poll in any way but I believe (my opinion only) the results so far reassure me and perhaps others that Escape trailer owners have had problems to be sure but are generally content. I also sense that owners have indicated more problems with newer trailers.

Again my thanks to all the contributors.
Attached Thumbnails
0B2D5E74-7F9F-4650-9FDB-841B88B1DDA3.jpg  
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #64

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
First and foremost, my sincere thanks to all the contributors to this thread, whether you “voted” or not. The comments have been very constructive and on point for the topic.

The image is a point-in-time snapshot of the poll results after 7 days.

I know this is not a scientific poll in any way but I believe (my opinion only) the results so far reassure me and perhaps others that Escape trailer owners have had problems to be sure but are generally content. I also sense that owners have indicated more problems with newer trailers.

Again my thanks to all the contributors.
Do you think there is any correlation to first time (newbie) RV owners and complaints about quality? I'm a newbie, never owned an Rv/TT before. I know this activity has mushroomed, blossomed in the last year and a half. Just wondering if any of this can be attributed to newbies and expectations? Its not like buying a car off a lot.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #65

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
... Just wondering if any of this can be attributed to newbies and expectations?
IMO expectations and judgment (major / minor) about issues and their significance can be all over the map whether or not a 'newbie'; that's part of what makes this 'poll' as written of limited value.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #66

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
IMO expectations and judgment (major / minor) about issues and their significance can be all over the map whether or not a 'newbie'; that's part of what makes this 'poll' as written of limited value.
Thanx Centex
Old 07-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Do you think there is any correlation to first time (newbie) RV owners and complaints about quality? I'm a newbie, never owned an Rv/TT before. I know this activity has mushroomed, blossomed in the last year and a half. Just wondering if any of this can be attributed to newbies and expectations? Its not like buying a car off a lot.
I have been thinking the same. Folks who have owned RVs for many years have learned of the varying issues that many an owner dealt with. I have had an RV for over 30 years now, the others than my 2 Escapes, and all had way more problems.

Newbies to an RV are not yet aware of the issues with other brands and may be looking for more perfection, not realizing that the RV industry is full of lower quality products designed for a more affordable temporary use unit.

As mentioned before, I recognized some of these potential issues with less quality with added items and made the changes I wanted to a new trailer. A choice I made before ever buying my second Escape.

Just a thought from a crazy Canuck owner. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-16-2021, 01:21 AM   #68

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I'm on my 7th trailer, none have compared to my 2 Escapes.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #69

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I'm on my 7th trailer, none have compared to my 2 Escapes.

We have a October 2018 5.0, so I voted in the 2019 category.

This is our 16th camper and only the Bigfoot was built as well. The Casita served us well, but the Scamp had issues related to Scamp's build The Lance was a joke when it came to quality, paper walls, elevated dinette, crappy cabinets, bathroom door that wouldn't close and a heat duct that was installed incorrectly. We actually had decent luck with our Jayco's, but today's Thor Jayco's are a joke. We loved our Aerolite, but the front totally delaminated. We had the shortest Cougar at the time (24') that was too high for the length and it would sway with Andersen's supposedly anti-sway hitch. Andersen even admitted they have problems with some camper builds.

Problems with our Escape build related to Escape? None

Problems with other vendors products in our Escape:
  • Kitchen faucet broke so water was always on. Reese walked me through a cheap and dirty fix till he could get us a new faucet.

• Constant sail switch failure for the first 6 months. I cleaned it a few times at under 20 F. Our third switch has worked fine for the past 2 years/250 nights.

• Both Dexter axles replaced. Dexter provided both axles, repair labor, and $220 for two tires. I understand their warranty is almost worthless today. We were in Arizona and chose to go home for one replacement, which destroyed a third tire. We now have 28,000 miles on one axle and 25,000 miles on the other with even tire wear.

• WFCO charger destroyed our last set of AGM's (overvoltage) and may have been responsible for the first sets faillure. The WFCO charger has been disabled since February, and our solar keeps our SiO2 batteries topped off. We carry a plug-in charger if ever needed.

• Door frame closure issues that I fixed.

• Exploded in my face Suburban SDS2 cooktop that has been replaced with a Dickinson stovetop (cat's meow!).

• I'm sure something else is missing.

Our Escape build is great! The products in the Escape are the same other RV's use and have the same problems. With every RV we've owned you either wait and wait for repairs at an RV dealer or you learn to repair them yourself. Doesn't matter who's RV you buy (including our Bigfoot). Repairs happen!

We'd buy another Escape in a heartbeat.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
skimmed the conversation. We chose major problems with addons. Our 17b has been used hard for multiple winters. That said. We have replaced microwave (twice), fabricating a more robust mounting system; furnace; converter; Dometic fridge (door FELL OFF). Dometic extended warranty by a few months and covered replacement which has been fine. The solar panel attachment from the rods to the unit failed and had to be repaired in the field. The original glued attachment to the escape top has been fine all these years.
The question I have is, is this experience better or worse than any other brand. Is Oliver really three times as good? It is three times the price of an Escape.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:29 AM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
skimmed the conversation. We chose major problems with addons. Our 17b has been used hard for multiple winters. That said. We have replaced microwave (twice), fabricating a more robust mounting system; furnace; converter; Dometic fridge (door FELL OFF). Dometic extended warranty by a few months and covered replacement which has been fine. The solar panel attachment from the rods to the unit failed and had to be repaired in the field. The original glued attachment to the escape top has been fine all these years.
The question I have is, is this experience better or worse than any other brand. Is Oliver really three times as good? It is three times the price of an Escape.
I haven't seen an Oliver in person, only the YouTubes, but if I was spending that much money I would need a bigger trailer that was more livable. I would only go for the 25' Airstream with twin beds.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have personally met Jim Oliver in Tennessee when he started bring the Oliver to rallies held there. I believe they are made in Hohenwald, Tn and he would routinely bring several models to the rallies held there every year. In fact he toured my E19 and liked several of the interior items made by Escape.....
Old 07-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I would only go for the 25' Airstream with twin beds.
Personally, if I was willing to go with a bigger and more expensive trailer, the Bigfoot 25 with twin beds is my choice. Just not into Airstream, and still want a better travelling trailer like an Escape.

I looked hard at an Oliver in 2008,before the Escape 19 or even Oliver's larger trailer. I have toured a few of them too. No doubt some great quality features, I just could not go for the poor layout or the institutional bright white interior, all for a starting price of $42k USD in 2008. Shortly after Reace announced the plans to do the 19 and I was all over it. [emoji4]
Old 07-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We are actively looking into the 25 Rw Bigfoot.. we feel the 23 won’t be enough of an upgrade from the 21. We looked at an Oliver excellent quality but not really much more room. If they had a twenty five Oliver we would look.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:58 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...I looked hard at an Oliver in 2008,before the Escape 19 or even Oliver's larger trailer. I have toured a few of them too. No doubt some great quality features, I just could not go for the poor layout or the institutional bright white interior, all for a starting price of $42k USD in 2008...

Jim, I believe you are misremembering something here. The average price of all Oliver trailers sold through the end of the 2008 year was $26,579.63. This price included an air conditioner, television and stereo, microwave, tank monitoring system, furnace, satellite receiver dish on roof, electric cord reel, three electric jacks and double pane windows. There were no options offered, but the factory would do absolutely any modification you could dream up.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:06 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
Jim, I believe you are misremembering something here. The average price of all Oliver trailers sold through the end of the 2008 year was $26,579.63. This price included an air conditioner, television and stereo, microwave, tank monitoring system, furnace, satellite receiver dish on roof, electric cord reel, three electric jacks and double pane windows. There were no options offered, but the factory would do absolutely any modification you could dream up.
For the quality you are getting , we believe the Oliver is well worth the price . We bought a 19 Escape but didn’t know at the time about Oliver or that would of been our first choice . Too far into our 19 with all the improvements now . Just do not understand why some have to bash Oliver . It is very good to have choices . Different trailers for different needs and likes . You are lucky to own your Oliver! Maybe see you down the road 👍🏻👍🏻Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:41 AM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I haven't seen any Oliver bashing. I've seen some that feel the white interior is too sterile. Some don't like the layout. Many have commented that that Oliver costs more than they are willing to pay for a trailer. I don't consider that to be bashing, but it doesn't matter, since I'm not in the market for a new Escape or an Oliver.
More porridge please.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:08 AM   #78

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I guess based what some have said I’m either stupid or have drunk the cool aid but I have been very happy with both my escapes 17 and 5.0 yes some miner issues but most of the time everything works as it should no I have not taken it apart and looked at every seam but no water intrusion no major issues and a lot of great years camping.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Oliver Twist!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I haven't seen any Oliver bashing. I've seen some that feel the white interior is too sterile. Some don't like the layout. Many have commented that that Oliver costs more than they are willing to pay for a trailer. I don't consider that to be bashing, but it doesn't matter, since I'm not in the market for a new Escape or an Oliver.
More porridge please.
Hi: gbaglo... Our '14 5.0TA had some teething issues but Reace came over from their 5.0TA, at the Escape rally, and dealt with them.
Our intro to the Oliver was jaded by the fact that the CEO didn't bring one to use at the Tennessee rally but brought his 40' Moho instead. Couldn't bring himself to use his own product? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #80

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
More porridge please.
I haven't seen Oliver bashing either. In 2017 (?) we looked at a 2014 Oliver. We were told it was Oliver's show unit for a year and it was in pristine condition. I liked it! Terry didn't. She didn't like the stark white interior, the small twin beds, or the small refrigerator. Is her opinion bashing? Again, I liked it and would have purchased if Terry had agreed.

My only complaint was the wiring underneath the beds was all over the place, but I could have corrected the placement and had more storage. I saw a newer Oliver and the wiring was neatly run. Now when it came to the quality of our Lance camper I'll bash, but certainly not Oliver's.

I might complain about our exploding Suburban SDS2 stovetop or other vendor's cheaply made products, but not about our Escape that we've had zero problems with. Again, vendor's yes, Escape no.

Enjoy,

Perry