Pop-up shower/porta-potty - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Pop-up shower/porta-potty

With our downsizing RV purging, we settled on a 13-foot escape w no bathroom. The alternate plan was to have a pop-up shower which would also house the porta-potty.

Ordered "stinky Pete" off amazon and it's been great. Easy to assemble and works better than anticipated. Even dumping the porta-potty isn't as bad as it appears on paper. The solar shower bags work well for one shower. Although we bump up the temp with some hot water.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0157.jpg  
coldstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
With our downsizing RV purging, we settled on a 13-foot escape w no bathroom. The alternate plan was to have a pop-up shower which would also house the porta-potty.

Ordered "stinky Pete" off amazon and it's been great. Easy to assemble and works better than anticipated. Even dumping the porta-potty isn't as bad as it appears on paper. The solar shower bags work well for one shower. Although we bump up the temp with some hot water.
Dan & Marnie,
Ah, another A-model owner; welcome to the "A-Listers"!!
We have a similar shower tent, that we can use for the Portapotty. We find the portapotty convenient to empty either in a toilet or a dump station. It's nice not having to endure the travails of black and gray tanks that we've read about.
Our only problem was, when we got the 4x4 tent, we pulled it out of its bag, and it immediately popped open, in our family room. It took some serious reading of the instructions to get it collapsed and back in the bag. All is good now. Enjoy your rare but fun Escape 13.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Don,
Curious about your 4X4 tent. I'm shopping, designing, thinking about similar. Any pointers?

Tom
Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I figure if I have anyone come along with me that's the way to go. I have the extra bed now but no privacy for the porta potti if two people are in the trailer. That seems like a nice tent for it. We usually camp with bathrooms but sometimes a midnight trip in the dark is tricky so having a shelter on site would be good.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Hi Dan and Marnie,

Congrats on your Escape 13. A great size in my opinion and because its an Escape build quality is high unlike other popular riveted 13 footers. Too bad Escape stopped production of the 13 and 15 foot models.

I had a Scamp 13 and loved the size as it was easy to deal after unhitching and fitting in smaller but very nice campsites. I could rotate it to suit the site.

Black tank, you aren't missing much and certainly sparing yourself from the dump station.

Regarding the 13 ft Scamp, I built a hot shower ( inside ) that took all of five minutes to set up. The trailer has a 10 gallon fresh water tank and 22 gallon grey water tank. We enjoyed using the shower. Wish I had come up with that earlier. It was even comfortable in the winter with snow all around. The set up was a DIY project of mine which disposed the shower water into the grey tank below. You seem to have a working system now but of you ever want to beyond that, send me a PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Too funny Don & Teresa
Good thing you didn't pull rip cord in garden shed or you'd likely still be there

We're really pleased the way it's working out. We have those acrylic mats from Home Depot for our outdoor living space and slide those right up to the pop-up for seamless entry at night.

After showering we simply sweep out excess water through openings in the corners of the floor.

Santiago, you got me thinking about rigging up an exterior shower head by running a flexible hose from our tap. No reason you couldn't pop it on and off when needed.
Safe travels
coldstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I could rotate it to suit the site.

A great thing to be able to do!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #8

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Santiago, you got me thinking about rigging up an exterior shower head by running a flexible hose from our tap. No reason you couldn't pop it on and off when needed.
Safe travels
To be clear. My mod was an interior hot shower. Never did an outdoor one.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Don,
Curious about your 4X4 tent. I'm shopping, designing, thinking about similar. Any pointers?

Tom
Tom,
We found one fairly cheap on Amazon. It sorta looks like one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZPZ7NLE...a-362828142887

It has a flat spring wire frame, like the windshield sunscreens have, so if you let it out of its bag, it instantly pops up fully erect. It works, though.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
FYI, I was in the Tetons National Park last week. Porta-Potties and the like could NOT be left out unattended or even in these types of enclosures, clean or not. Especially overnight. You'd think the animals would know better, but they evidently they don't.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Especially overnight. You'd think the animals would know better, but they evidently they don't.
Saw a video of campers dealing with field mice getting into campers at night, pooping all over and messing anything that looks like facial tissue, toilet paper, etc for nesting material. They came in every night. I love the Tetons and never experienced that but it was a while back.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
FYI, I was in the Tetons National Park last week. Porta-Potties and the like could NOT be left out unattended or even in these types of enclosures, clean or not. Especially overnight. You'd think the animals would know better, but they evidently they don't.
True that, Donna.
We camp and fish frequently in bear country (Eastern Sierra Nevada Mts. in Calif.), and we do not use the potty tent there. In fact, we don't leave things like ice chests out or in visible locations like the back of the SUV. The bears have figured out what every food container looks like. And, .. they know that tents are where people keep their stuff. (Note: see also the Geo. Carlin video posted on another thread!!!).
Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
They also become very interesting kites in any kind of wind.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We used one of those shower tents for many years. Still have it. And we used a thing that came in what looked like a battery box and takes a propane tank and has a heat exchanger and a pump and shower nozzle for our showering duties.
You took the battery case thing to the lake and filled it with water and then fired up the heater and then ran the pump with the spray head in the case. To recirculate the water till it was hot. Not very long. Then turned the heater off and just use the spray head to shower with.
It works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk