Stove installation cost - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 07:48 AM   #41

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Thanks will try north shore. I had something booked for travco and then they emailed me they changed their mind. Fingers crossed
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 2018 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeathers View Post
We got ours replaced by JR RV in Sedro Wooley Wa. They did a good job, leak tested etc. Cost was $90.

When I got the notice from escape, I called Suburban and they had me send in the trailer ID tag and the stove serial number. They verified that the stove was eligible for recall. Then they had me download from their site a list of Suburban dealers in my area. I called all ten of them, only three were receptive to doing the work.

In talking to Suburban I found out this particular stove is used in many brands of RV's and Escape is the only brand that is being recalled. She told me that "the problem" has to do with the axel that is in the Escape, not specifically the stove, that the torsion axel versus spring axel used most commonly in other brands was the culprit. Some how they concluded that the road vibration from the the torsion axel was being transmitted to the stove and causing the pipe to develop a crack. Thus a stainless replacement. I do not know how they determined a stainless replacement will mitigate the cracking of the pipe in the future.

The dealers told me that this recall was different from most in that in most recalls a claim is opened on behalf of the owner and costs to the dealer are recovered through the claim from the manufacturer. In this situation, Suburban is not paying anything to the dealer, only providing a new stove. All the cost of replacement, admin work of calling, opening a claim, getting the stove etc., has to be passed along to the owner, which we submit to Escape.

I called Escape to ask them about the labor rate, 100 in US versus 120 in Canada. The receptionist told me that 120 in Canada is due to the higher labor rate in Canada ($200 per hour), and that the job should only take .75 hours. .75 of 200 is still 150 so escape is not paying a realistic rebate for the replacement.

In the end, I am glad it is completed, and I can go camping but I do not feel due diligence has been completed here. I do not know if a crack will develop down the road as I do not feel comfortable that transparency has happened and I am left with a lot of unknowns.

I wish other escape owners the best of luck and sympathize with the aggravation of this recall. I still love my little 17B.
Pfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17B
Hi, A RV shop here in Edmonton Alberta is to do the recall job for $190, BUT they mention I may pay the shipping fee for sending recalled cooktop back to Ontario. I assume this shipping back fee should be covered by Suburan. I am just wondering if you guys have this problem? Thank you.
Chester
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:33 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
Hi, A RV shop here in Edmonton Alberta is to do the recall job for $190, BUT they mention I may pay the shipping fee for sending recalled cooktop back to Ontario. I assume this shipping back fee should be covered by Suburan. I am just wondering if you guys have this problem? Thank you.
Chester

Suburban paid for shipping the cooktop from and to the shop. I had only to pay for installation labor ($130US, for which Escape reimbursed me $100).
Old 08-05-2022, 04:59 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Suburban paid for shipping the cooktop from and to the shop. I had only to pay for installation labor ($130US, for which Escape reimbursed me $100).
Thank you Lynn
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Smile

I emailed Escape to ask for suggestions and was offered to bring in the trailer for the work. I assume there won’t be a charge… they replied right away and I’ll get it done quickly. We’re a bit over an hour from the factory but happy to make the trip so I don’t have to worry about it. I didn’t know they still did that kind of thing.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2020
As mentioned in a maintenance post just now (!), we were at Camping World in Bakersfield, CA to get our Suburban stovetop changed out. It cost us $179.00 U.S. dollars, not sure of the exchange rate, but I think (hope) ETI will cover most of it. We are pretty ignorant on doing our own repairs so it was worth it to us.
FlowerandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:35 AM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerandFrog View Post
As mentioned in a maintenance post just now (!), we were at Camping World in Bakersfield, CA to get our Suburban stovetop changed out. It cost us $179.00 U.S. dollars, not sure of the exchange rate, but I think (hope) ETI will cover most of it. We are pretty ignorant on doing our own repairs so it was worth it to us.
Escape will reimburse you up to US$100. See here:

https://escapetrailer-5474298.hs-sit...rop-in-cooktop
Old 08-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Escape will reimburse you up to US$100. See here:

https://escapetrailer-5474298.hs-sit...rop-in-cooktop
If anybody like to try a different road:
I purchased the Dometic D21 from Escape, it was sent to my house for a total cost 157.22 USD.
Suburban agreed to buy the recalled cooktop, they sent me an email with a FedEx label to return the cooktop to them, at no charge to me. Yesterday they issued a payment of $325.98 USD.
I didn't have any hassle at all.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M View Post
I purchased the Dometic D21 from Escape, it was sent to my house for a total cost 157.22 USD.
Suburban agreed to buy the recalled cooktop, they sent me an email with a FedEx label to return the cooktop to them, at no charge to me. Yesterday they issued a payment of $325.98 USD.
Seems to me you have additional income of $168.76 to report.........
Old 08-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
How did you contact Suburban and get them to pay for the recalled one? That's what I want to do.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #52

Called customer service at (423)775-2131, talked to Brittany Willin.
It was done very professional and quickly.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 E19
Quote:
Called customer service at (423)775-2131, talked to Brittany Willin.
It was done very professional and quickly.
M & M. I appreciate the information and phone number on how to return the sds2 stove. I purchased the Dometic from Escape and was not aware of the refund for the return of the suburban stove. I actually came out ahead.

THANK YOU!
Doug-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #54

You are welcome Doug,
But actually I got the idea from another forum member, don't recalled his/her name.
In top of that, the replacement of the cooktop on my 17B was very easy.