There's a dog in your trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
There's a dog in your trailer

Before the trailers there was Brandy, Apples, Sporty 2, Lady, and Sporty 1. Had some cats too, but this is a dog story. Always loved our dogs. We’ve always had one; then Jenny, Jake, Ben, and now Josie; all rescue dogs.

Some 15 years ago our first trailer dog, Ben, was rescued from across the tracks on death row at the Newark Pound. Then I got our first egg. Best guess: a pit bull, ridgeback mix. I had to go look ridgeback up. He had a minor physical deformity on one foot but, a real sweetheart. Guessing Ben must have been created by the brothers doing some inner-city animal husbandry, and was an unwanted left over.

Trailer dogs do require special adjustments. Trailering across the continent several times, in 3 different eggs, Ben kept a close eye on us. Never barked or whined, always patient. Will he sleep on the floor under the dinette, or with you up on the bed? That usually answers itself, like if he/she’s a tiny toy, or really extra large, or has a companion, or if owners are certified softies. We had a dog bed for him at first, but found along with water bowls, it took up too much precious floor space. That's Ben watching television with us. Dog lovers know what’s right. We also learned the great value of a good supply of sandwich bags.

At night when winter camping he was a breathing hot water bottle. When he got too old to jump up on the bed I got him there. The best camping companion, so tolerant, patient, understanding, forgiving, through all our many trailer trips.

Seven weeks ago we finally lost Ben. It was hard. I thought to myself, that’s it. Do not want to do this again. We’re not that young anymore. But, we are dog people. We need that third party in our nest, in our den, to care for, to make us smile, to provide diversion and to satisfy our paternal instincts. Last week, after much thought, we rescued Josie.

The exact opposite of couch potato Ben. She’s a probable one-year old mix, maybe Weimaraner-Boxer-Ridgeback, from the No-Kill Rescue Dog Adoption agency in the area. But who knows? Opinions welcome, fellow dog lovers. A lively teenager, full of energy, loves to run, has big springs in them hind legs and leaps across our large yard like a gazelle. She will be a trial for us. However, Josie is exceptionally loving and eager to please. I believe all dogs learn from their masters and adjust behavior to their environment. (Of course though, there was the case of Jenny, our alpha female black lab. Now there was a real piece of work.)

Josie loves riding in the truck. Have not yet introduced Josie to our Escape trailer. She sniffs but is wary. Not certain how her intensity will translate into the discipline of trailer camping. Ben was always laid back. When a loud thunderstorm raged outside the house he would get totally freaked out. To quiet him down we got to giving him a non-prescription dog medication called “Composure.” It is for dogs and cats; it addresses stress and calming for anxious animals. Available by catalog, at Pet Supplies Delivered

Josie is such a bundle of energy we may need to use this medication on the next trailer ride. With a new dog you never know until you know. The trailer stands winterized, ready and waiting for the next trip out. Nothing planned before the February rally at Quartzsite, AZ. No doubt we’ll need to get Josie acclimated to trailer life before Quartzsite. Not sure what lies ahead on that. Oh, I got the itch, but current winter storm reports and road crashes make us nervous.
Attached Thumbnails
Ben7.jpg   Jo-05.jpg   JT01.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Oh, she's a very pretty dog. I hope she'll make you a good camping companion for years to come!

My three are pretty good. Sleeping on or under the bed depends on the weather. Oliver barks at people who walk by so he can be a bit of a pain-a remnant of his long ago past. I try to orient things so he isn't barking the whole time we are in the trailer or sitting outside of it. Jack is a houdini and food thief- I need that wood divider you have between the bed and the counter at both ends of my counter or at least something to stop him from counter-surfing but the best is just to pop him in a crate when I leave. (I can fit his crate on one of the dinette seats.) Sadie is good if she can get out and run once in awhile- I left her with friends when the trip was just to see the grandkids as she would have been cooped up in the car or trailer too much of the time.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Does Josie like the Weather Channel too?

Sorry to hear about Ben, but looks like you found another beauty. A friend in college had a ridgeback and she was one of my all time favorite dogs.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

Have not yet introduced Josie to our Escape trailer.
Nothing planned before the February rally at Quartzsite, AZ.
Know what you mean about never again. But three times we've fostered dogs after saying "never again" and three times we've ended up adopting them.

So you'll be at Quartzsite, great, see you there. I might try the hill where you were last year. Gotta optimize my chances of pulling in TV stations, otherwise I'll think that my new Jack antenna was a waste of money.

Gertie hasn't been on a trailer trip yet but she's been on lot's of car rides and is just fine. Curls up and snoozes so we're not worried about that. Good thing because between going to Baja and across Canada she's going to get some serious trailer life.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-12-2016 2-47-38 PM13.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Dogs can be friends for life! Enjoy them, love them, treat them right. The reward will be wonderful!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The dog needs to go out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Dogs can be friends for life! Enjoy them, love them, treat them right. The reward will be wonderful!
Jake the French Brittany says Hi to all of his friends and wishes them all a Merry Christmas. From Ridgebacks to Corgis and Labs to Poodles , his quote is "I never met a south end I didn't want to sniff." He travels in the hard cage and sleeps in the collapseable cloth cage. He starts my heart about 5 each morning and takes my place on the bed before I can get my shoes off when he comes back in. I met about 60 dogs last year and only got bit once. Them Skipperkes are pretty fast.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
"I never met a south end I didn't want to sniff." Dave
Ain't that the truth.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Before the trailers there was Brandy, Apples, Sporty 2, Lady, and Sporty 1. Had some cats too, but this is a dog story. Always loved our dogs. We’ve always had one; then Jenny, Jake, Ben, and now Josie; all rescue dogs.

Some 15 years ago our first trailer dog, Ben, was rescued from across the tracks on death row at the Newark Pound. Then I got our first egg. Best guess: a pit bull, ridgeback mix. I had to go look ridgeback up. He had a minor physical deformity on one foot but, a real sweetheart. Guessing Ben must have been created by the brothers doing some inner-city animal husbandry, and was an unwanted left over.

Trailer dogs do require special adjustments. Trailering across the continent several times, in 3 different eggs, Ben kept a close eye on us. Never barked or whined, always patient. Will he sleep on the floor under the dinette, or with you up on the bed? That usually answers itself, like if he/she’s a tiny toy, or really extra large, or has a companion, or if owners are certified softies. We had a dog bed for him at first, but found along with water bowls, it took up too much precious floor space. That's Ben watching television with us. Dog lovers know what’s right. We also learned the great value of a good supply of sandwich bags.

At night when winter camping he was a breathing hot water bottle. When he got too old to jump up on the bed I got him there. The best camping companion, so tolerant, patient, understanding, forgiving, through all our many trailer trips.

Seven weeks ago we finally lost Ben. It was hard. I thought to myself, that’s it. Do not want to do this again. We’re not that young anymore. But, we are dog people. We need that third party in our nest, in our den, to care for, to make us smile, to provide diversion and to satisfy our paternal instincts. Last week, after much thought, we rescued Josie.

The exact opposite of couch potato Ben. She’s a probable one-year old mix, maybe Weimaraner-Boxer-Ridgeback, from the No-Kill Rescue Dog Adoption agency in the area. But who knows? Opinions welcome, fellow dog lovers. A lively teenager, full of energy, loves to run, has big springs in them hind legs and leaps across our large yard like a gazelle. She will be a trial for us. However, Josie is exceptionally loving and eager to please. I believe all dogs learn from their masters and adjust behavior to their environment. (Of course though, there was the case of Jenny, our alpha female black lab. Now there was a real piece of work.)

Josie loves riding in the truck. Have not yet introduced Josie to our Escape trailer. She sniffs but is wary. Not certain how her intensity will translate into the discipline of trailer camping. Ben was always laid back. When a loud thunderstorm raged outside the house he would get totally freaked out. To quiet him down we got to giving him a non-prescription dog medication called “Composure.” It is for dogs and cats; it addresses stress and calming for anxious animals. Available by catalog, at Pet Supplies Delivered

Josie is such a bundle of energy we may need to use this medication on the next trailer ride. With a new dog you never know until you know. The trailer stands winterized, ready and waiting for the next trip out. Nothing planned before the February rally at Quartzsite, AZ. No doubt we’ll need to get Josie acclimated to trailer life before Quartzsite. Not sure what lies ahead on that. Oh, I got the itch, but current winter storm reports and road crashes make us nervous.
Myron , sorry to hear about your Ben . They never leave our minds and heart . Glad you saved Josie . Looks like she will give you lot's of smiles . Good to know about "Composure "
Have a little one who could use that . Will give it a try . Don't like the prescription and how it drugs her . Again very sorry . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Know what you mean about never again. But three times we've fostered dogs after saying "never again" and three times we've ended up adopting them.

So you'll be at Quartzsite, great, see you there. I might try the hill where you were last year. Gotta optimize my chances of pulling in TV stations, otherwise I'll think that my new Jack antenna was a waste of money.

Gertie hasn't been on a trailer trip yet but she's been on lot's of car rides and is just fine. Curls up and snoozes so we're not worried about that. Good thing because between going to Baja and across Canada she's going to get some serious trailer life.

Ron
What a little cutie Ron ! She knows where to lay and be safe Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Two suggestions....one is if you love animals especially dogs and need some dog time without the full commitment then I would highly suggest a trip to Kanab Utah and Best Friends. Wonderful town and Best Friends is fabulous. I've volunteered there several times as a dog walker, poop scooper, etc. Just a great experience to be there and help out. Kanab is fun and you are near Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Work has kept me from being down there for three years now. I am hopefully retiring in 2017....guess the first place I'm going to.

Second, as a responsible dog owner....please be sure to have your dog on a leash OR have a very strong recall for your dog if it is off leash for it's own safety, safety of wildlife and the safety of other dogs who may not be so keen on having yours near by. My dog is a pit bull, he's been attacked twice by off leash dogs on two separate occasions (Golden Retriever and a Husky). Now he's gun-shy of other dogs and I camp far, far away from others and almost never in a campground.

I got my Escape solely for my dog. It acts as his place of safety, a warm place to sleep and I can drop it and take my dog elsewhere to do his business if the area is not dog friendly for him. Can't wait till springtime.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Rick, my friend just got her new dog (a SharPei mix) from Best Friends.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those of you who I have met will know that Franklin and Hershey are always with us while traveling, in fact Franklin has crossed the country 4 times in his life and has a lot of miles under his belt so to speak. But he will be 13 this year and is slowing down a little, as we all are. Both Franklin and Hershey are rescue dogs(who can resist a dog name Hershey living 30 miles from Herhsey,Pa?) and we have 3 rescue cats that stay at home and make a mess while we are gone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0696.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We will always have a dog, as long as we are able bodied enough to care for it. It's heartbreaking of course when they pass, but they bring so much joy and love into our lives.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Rick, my friend just got her new dog (a SharPei mix) from Best Friends.
Best Friends is a great place. Fair warning though....it's hard to leave without a critter or two. My dog came from the county animal shelter. He spent six months in a 4 ft by 8 ft concrete cell with no bed, no regular walks. Luckily he found me
Attached Thumbnails
brock8.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
All of our pets came from shelters. We always adopted grown animals to leave the puppies for the families with kids, as the grown ones are less likely to be adopted. We used to pay pet sitters a bundle when we went on a big trip as we had six pets at a time for many years. Did the pet thing about 25-30 years. They were fantastic to have and all had different personalities. We're done though. Travelling for long periods and pets wouldn't work for us.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
For those with just 1 dog, what do you do with it when you want to sight see or go to dinner?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One of us stays and the other partakes and we take turns.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"

Dexter can't wait to go on adventures!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #19

I'm not sure why having one makes it different. I generally don't go places unless the weather allows the dogs to stay crated in the car, unless I'm camping with someone who is willing and able to watch the dogs for awhile. Or I can leave them crated/loose (depends on dog) in the trailer if there isn't any reason one is likely to start barking. (Such as noisy people or dogs nearby.)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One of us stays and the other partakes and we take turns.
Now that's a romantic dinner!