Tools all over! Tell the Truth! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I have a different dilemma. We are getting ready to go "full time" in our 21C, hopefully in January. I keep going out to my workshop and envision getting rid of a lifetime of tool accumulation. Drill press, table saw, band saw and a world of other tools. With all of the downsizing to do, I think that getting rid of tools is the hardest part. My wife even agrees that it is the most difficult part.
Oh man, that would be agony beyond comprehension for me.

But, I guess that's the price of genuine full-timing / downsizing ... wishing y'all the absolute best of happy times with that

As with many who have responded ... workshop, mobile truck-kit, the house ... certainly some redundancy due to locations and memory-fault repurchases

I don't carry tools in the tiny Casita - rely on the truck-kit, but with the extraordinary storage in the 5.0TA I may gain another place to 'lose' tools
Old 09-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've carried (and use almost every day) an original Leatherman Supertool since my wife gave it to me as a birthday present in 1995. Unfortunately, I broke the tip off the knife blade & tried to get it repaired (they are guaranteed for life). The Supertool was retired in 2001 & parts are not available, even if you stop at the factory in Oregon. A little grinding, and I now have a shorter, but still useful knife blade.

I've been through 2 leather belt pouches, but the tool lives on!
Something to be said for buying quality. My Gerber worked hard for me for many years until the end of the blade locking part broke. I was by the factory in Portland and they apologized, said that the part was no longer available. They offered me a choice of any two of their products. So I choose a nice filleting knife and a folding tree pruning saw. Not a bad trade. They also let me keep the old knife. It's engraved so I can't go back to the well again. It's a "some day" project. I think that I could drill the rivets and tig weld a repair. I have many "some day" projects.

I've gone through at least of those nylon Leatherman pouches. Such a low quality accessory for a high class product. I found a leather one on line. It's very durable. It's all scuffed up because sometimes I roll around and grind it into concrete when I'm doing things, like under trailer work.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0006_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In my opinion, there needs to be community support for well run tool libraries and for the establishment by school systems and parks and recreation departments of supervised work areas where people could go to do “projects” with the appropriate supervision and well maintained equipment. It’s not that much different than a public exercise area with weight machines and exercise bikes or a library with books and “audio visual” equipment. I know these things exist to some degree and also in the modern vein, 3-D printers, but I think a lot more could be done. Even if you’re not going to be full timing it would be better to donate a good drill press and be able to go somewhere in your “I sold my house and don’t have room for it in my condo” years than to just sell something for what little it would bring. I would see it as a good use of the $750 I pay in taxes each year. But alas I am just a dreamer.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I have a different dilemma. We are getting ready to go "full time" in our 21C, hopefully in January. I keep going out to my workshop and envision getting rid of a lifetime of tool accumulation. Drill press, table saw, band saw and a world of other tools. With all of the downsizing to do, I think that getting rid of tools is the hardest part. My wife even agrees that it is the most difficult part.
Wished I lived closer to you.............
Old 09-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I just bought a Highlander and discovered it doesn't have the hidey-holes that the RAV4 had ( got useless third-row seats instead ). I removed about 50 lbs. of tools ( who needs two air compressors? ).

Replaced it all with my BCAA and Visa cards.
I always dislike having tools and other "stuff" rolling around in the back of my vehicles. The storage space provided by the manufacturer for such items is almost always inadequate. In my FJ I had built a set of storage drawers which were super useful and eliminated loose gear lying around the truck. Based on the usefulness of the storage drawers in my FJ, I just finished a similar set of drawers for my 4Runner which has solved my storage issues. They are super handy, and since the two drawers were built as separate stand alone units, I can take one of them out to fit a bicycle inside the 4Runner if I choose to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
20200926_144228.jpg   20200926_144251.jpg   20200926_144312.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
How many sets of tools to you have?
I like this thread... thanks John.

1- Complete tool set in my shed workshop (garage will come with next house!) - mechanics and carpentry
2- Partial tool set in house basement - mechanics and carpentry (so I don't have to walk to the shed to retrieve tools)
3- Small set in a house utility closet (so I don’t have to walk to the basement to grab a tool)
4- Complete job specific mechanics set at my primary workbench at work
5- Partial mechanics set at my secondary workstation at work (lots of duplicates as the primary workbench to save time and walks)
6- Full mechanics set in my tow vehicle
7- Small set in my 17 B

Don't know if I should include the other four sets I have on my bikes for self sufficiency with a mechanical issue while riding. They’re duplicates of each other

One of the most exciting things about getting a trailer was I got to purchase a whole new set of tools!

I enjoy going down this rabbit hole often and continue to learn more about tools:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I hear you. We are looking to move, have to sell the house, then rent while we look for something else. My basement woodshop is mostly heavy 230v tools that I need to sell before I can put the house on the market. I keep stalling.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Just happened...
Attached Thumbnails
ohurohvycv241.jpg  
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I hear you. We are looking to move, have to sell the house, then rent while we look for something else. My basement woodshop is mostly heavy 230v tools that I need to sell before I can put the house on the market. I keep stalling.
I just keep telling myself that I won't need all of these tools after we sell the farm and get down to just the truck and the Escape.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I always dislike having tools and other "stuff" rolling around in the back of my vehicles. The storage space provided by the manufacturer for such items is almost always inadequate. In my FJ I had built a set of storage drawers which were super useful and eliminated loose gear lying around the truck. Based on the usefulness of the storage drawers in my FJ, I just finished a similar set of drawers for my 4Runner which has solved my storage issues. They are super handy, and since the two drawers were built as separate stand alone units, I can take one of them out to fit a bicycle inside the 4Runner if I choose to do so.
Very nice Dave and as soon as this heat goes down going to do something similar for the bed of the truck . Just lucked out on a used shell for the truck and this will be my new project . Not much left to do for trailer Pat
Attached Thumbnails
F6ADB425-209E-4E60-A85A-2ACE0B7D95CF.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I feel your pain and don’t know what I would do having all that and more . Don’t want to think about it for now . Good luck with the decisions you are facing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
This is my favorite multi tool. Not because I use it everyday, or that it has multiple blades and functions, but because of how I got it. I was camping at Gaviota beach and talked to the campers across the way. They were a couple from Switzerland. They had shipped a VW campervan from Holland and were touring the US. I took them a map and suggested campsites up the pacific coast. He was so thankful for the map he told me to wait and rummaged in the van for a minute. He returned and gave me this knife in thanks. He explained he lived about 30 minutes from the swiss army knife factory ( Victorinox ), and this was how he thanked people who assisted him. I love this knife!!
Attached Thumbnails
20200929_151821.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
This is my favorite multi tool.

Did he explain why it is yellow and not red? I have a nice one that my daughter found and turned over to me.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I really feel for those facing giving away or selling long owned tools. I hope you can find someone who will be thrilled and appreciate them.

I have a Swiss Army knife that I’ve had for a long time. Most unusual use I have found is one time I was on a long camping trip and cut my hair with the scissors. My hairdresser said she has heard a lot of haircutting stories but that was the winner.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Did he explain why it is yellow and not red?
While red is the most common colour, there are lot of colours, patterns, and scale materials in both actual knives made for the Swiss Army, and similar knives made by the companies which supplied the Swiss Army. Maybe he just likes yellow; choosing something other than red would make it more distinctive and so the story of where it came from would be more likely to be remembered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I just keep telling myself that I won't need all of these tools after we sell the farm and get down to just the truck and the Escape.
While not intending to burst your bubble Mike, you know better than that. At some point you are likely to wish.......

Maybe as soon as the day after you get rid of it, whatever it is!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Did he explain why it is yellow and not red? I have a nice one that my daughter found and turned over to me.
Yellow on one side green on the other. I have no idea, but I was humbled.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Today, I just put up the first wall of a small 8'X10" workshop in my back yard. It is right next to the carport where most projects take place. 15' X 33" of covered space but now I will have a rolling work bench that I can pull out of the workshop whenever I need it. (Currently all my home tools live in our one-car garage in addition to my wife's car.)

Oh and of course tools in the truck and the Escape.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #39

As I pointed out to my daughter, Never marry a man without tools.
Don Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Daughters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
As I pointed out to my daughter, Never marry a man without tools.
Neither one of my daughters followed you advice. But then they soon learned that their husbands were ill equipped to undertake any “honey do” projects. However, it made it easy for me to select presents for them for several years. They are both fixed up pretty good now.
and have done some nice projects.
Iowa Dave