Modifications to Our Sweet 17 B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Modifications to Our Sweet 17 B

First Significant Customization - Dinette Table and Pedestal

Upon acquiring our pre-owned 17 B, the original unstable compression pole pedestal led me on a quest for a solution. I knew this had to be my first project on our new-to-us 17 B. I didn’t have any confidence we could enjoy a beverage while with our Bernese Mountain Dog at our feet.

I enjoyed reviewing everyone’s creative solutions on the forum. I wanted to go with a single pole design. I considered a Springfield Pedestal but thought it was a little too bulky for our small 17 B dinette table. I came across Ed’s (Eggscape) “Cheapfield Table Leg for Eggscape” design and it was the perfect solution!

Eggscape’s Post #33 found here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-12918-4.html

Thank you so much for sharing your design and detailed instructions Ed! I didn’t know black iron union fittings even existed. Such creative re-purposing of an affordable off the shelf product.

My pedestal dinette table has…
• An oak octagon base plate which is both screwed and epoxied to the floor for good stability. The four short screws which mount the iron floor flange to the oak base plate, and the base plate to the floor, are a bit too short to provide good stability, so I also used some JB Weld.
• 1” black iron upper and lower pipes with a 1” union fitting
• Two 12” ball bearing drawer sliders mounted between a 3/4” birch plywood base plate and the bottom of the tabletop. Allows the tabletop to slide towards the passenger side bench
• The tabletop is inexpensive rough cut pine board sanded smooth with tough oak trim (first time building something with biscuit joints! happy with the outcome)
• A removable table leaf
• Three coats satin polyurethane finish
• Approximately $150 for all the materials

We like the rustic look of the bare iron pipe, flanges and union fitting in contrast to the lighter oak and pine. Ed has a solution for a more finished and polished aesthetic. It's sharp!

This design is really stable. I also like the tabletop angle adjustment the iron union flange provides. It collapses relatively easily.

I wanted to fabricate a low profile and sleek metal base plate like Ed did, but I didn’t have the proper tools.

All items are easily sourced from Home Depot except the under table leaf support slider which I sourced from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5605.jpg   IMG_5609.jpg   IMG_5608.jpg   IMG_5403.jpg   IMG_5047.jpg  

IMG_5606.jpg  
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #2

Medicine Cabinet Horizontal Bars

Like others, we got tired of medicine cabinet items falling out upon destination arrival.

Desired a permanent solution, saw another forum member use aluminum angle stock.

The vertical forward facing trim of the cabinet behind the door is hollow so I was able to mount the bars with 1/4“ stainless screws. Didn’t need to remove the cabinet.

The shape of the L stock interface was a bit of a challenging shape to create with a hacksaw and Dremel tool. Edges are smooth to the touch, close-up pics makes them look a little rough. Happy with the outcome.

$6.50 angle stock
$3.00 flat bar
$1.50 screws
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5653.jpg   IMG_5654.jpg   IMG_5656.jpg  
Old 08-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Radio Power Switch

Our radio, mounted under the upper passenger side cabinet above the feet of the bed, was annoying at night because of the light it emitted. Got tired of placing electrical tape or post-it notes over the face of the radio.

Decided to install a simple 12 volt power switch on the inside of the cabinet. I thought about mounting the switch externally, but didn’t want to drill through the cabinet. Also, this is our first season with the trailer we’re not using the radio too much because we use our phones when in cell range. Not a switch I desired the easiest access to.

$6.50
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5664.jpg   IMG_5663.jpg  
Old 08-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #4

Under Front Window Cubby Shelf

Our pre-owned 17 B came with a gaucho bunk which wasn’t being used and was pulled. We got the trailer with a functional horizontal pad under the front window.

We considered re-installing the bunk and it didn’t suit our needs.
Covered up the holes for the bunk brackets in the interior liner with this cubby shelf I made to compliment the table. The cork tile and trice piece is bonded to the 1/4" wood backer plate seen on the back of the cubby. We like rustic industrial style.

Really wanted to make the table (post #1) and cubby shelf with reclaimed lumber. However, this material is so expensive and hard to source in metro-Boston because of the high demand from the unending building boom. I’d also have to buy a much desired planer which just isn’t in the budget yet. Some day.

$6 rough cut pine
$11 leaf panel molding trim
$2 cork tiles
(2) 3/4“ screws and small pieces 30 lb 3M tape to mount
2 coats polyurethane
Attached Thumbnails
yes.jpg   IMG_5406.jpg   IMG_5407.jpg   IMG_5405.jpg   IMG_5605.jpg  

Old 08-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Step Carpet for Dog

Doggo wan’t stepping on the perforated retractable step when getting in and out of the trailer. I saw on Youtube video dogs can get their nails caught in the holes of the step.

Had to solve this right away… $3.75 (by the foot) outdoor carpet piece from Home Depot epoxied to the step.

Chloe approves and is using the step now!

When the carpet gets wet we don’t like it though. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our pets. I may have to come up with a different solution.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5635.jpg   IMG_5636.jpg  
Old 08-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Like others, we got tired of medicine cabinet items falling out upon destination arrival.

Desired a permanent solution, saw another forum member use aluminum angle stock.

The vertical forward facing trim of the cabinet behind the door is hollow so I was able to mount the bars with 1/4“ stainless screws. Didn’t need to remove the cabinet.

The shape of the L stock interface was a bit of a challenging shape to create with a hacksaw and Dremel tool. Edges are smooth to the touch, close-up pics makes them look a little rough. Happy with the outcome.

$6.50 angle stock
$3.00 flat bar
$1.50 screws
Nice install! The angle stock is certain to add life to the plastic shelves.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #7

Thank you! Yes, the forum member who suggested this (can't locate his post) recommended the angle stock for this reason. Those thin plastic shelves are now supported well and no worry about breakage.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Hmm, I have some perforated fake grass I got once for a dog show- I bet I could cut a carpet step from that that we'd all like. Mine don't like the perforated step, either, I covered it with fabric that now looks like a shambles.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That all looks really great- and like the shorter wardrobe to open up that front dinette area we used to call our bistro table in our 17B.

Also- you can get Camco step cover on Amazon for $10.
Camco 42925-A Gray 18 Inch 42925 18" Rv Step Rug-Grey
Old 08-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That all looks really great- and like the shorter wardrobe to open up that front dinette area we used to call our bistro table in our 17B.

Also- you can get Camco step cover on Amazon for $10.
Camco 42925-A Gray 18 Inch 42925 18" Rv Step Rug-Grey
Thank you! The previous owner, forum member tburt, created the short wardrobe cabinet bench. I can't take credit for his wonderful design and craftsmanship. We're really happy with it and happy not to have the 'bistro table' .
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...17b-16907.html

Nice, didn't know that Camco product existed.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Hmm, I have some perforated fake grass I got once for a dog show- I bet I could cut a carpet step from that that we'd all like. Mine don't like the perforated step, either, I covered it with fabric that now looks like a shambles.
haha, I would have been happy with the fake grass carpet. My wife wouldn't have it an she doesn't like the carpet I installed. I thought black would blend-in. She has better design sense then me and I just implement her wishes. Funny thing, I'm always more than happy with the outcome.

Oh, nice to actually confirm it's not just my pup.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

Yeah, thinking about it, green would look horrible. Carpet would get soggy. I'll keep thinking.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #13

Maybe a piece of solid wood there, bolted to the step?
Old 08-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Maybe a piece of solid wood there, bolted to the step?
I bolted on a piece of rubber truck mat cut to fit, same stuff that covers the bottom of pickup truck boxes. The local installer has small pieces/cutoffs available for free.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I bolted on a piece of rubber truck mat cut to fit, same stuff that covers the bottom of pickup truck boxes. The local installer has small pieces/cutoffs available for free.

I thought about a nice piece of hardwood bolted in place also. Michelle said no. Too funny.

Ah, rubber truck matt is the solution. It’s also black and grippy. Another fun project! Thanks.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Make sure the surface is roughed up or has dimples so it is not slippery when wet

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Our radio, mounted under the upper passenger side cabinet above the feet of the bed, was annoying at night because of the light it emitted. Got tired of placing electrical tape or post-it notes over the face of the radio.

Decided to install a simple 12 volt power switch on the inside of the cabinet. I thought about mounting the switch externally, but didn’t want to drill through the cabinet. Also, this is our first season with the trailer we’re not using the radio too much because we use our phones when in cell range. Not a switch I desired the easiest access to.

$6.50
Nice! This deals with the phantom load of the lights too. Our radio has a removable face and I deal with the light problem at night that way, but a switch would be a good idea.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #18

Short Wardrobe Cabinet Cushion & Drawer Pull Latch

We're happy with the shortened wardrobe cabinet our pre-owned trailer came with. We wanted a matching cushion to stretch out our legs when seated at the front dinette and a better latch and pull tab to easily open the always loaded drawer.

Sourced a yard of matching fabric and correct thickness firm cushion foam. The base is 1/2” birch plywood. Getting the shape of the cushion base took some time as the bench top isn’t square and has some angles to it. First time making a cushion. $18 for the fabric, $15 for the foam and the plywood was left over from another project.

Cool new old stock aluminum latch from e-bay. $20
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5615.jpg   IMG_5422.jpg   IMG_5616.jpg   IMG_5617.jpg  
Old 08-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #19

Trailer Harness Mount & Protector

When parked, I didn’t like the loose dangling cord and having the pins exposed to the elements.

I wanted to avoid zip avoid tying the harness to the trailer frame or drilling into the frame to mount the harness. Pulled the cover off my power tongue jack and discovered there’s hollow space behind the cover. Mounted with (4) 1/2" stainless screws and some silicone on the threads for extra grip because the cover is just a few millimetres thick.

Etrailer
Optronics 7-Way Trailer Harness Plug Protector
Item # ACP7B
$11
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5673.jpg   IMG_5674.jpg  
Old 08-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #20

Sink Cover Moisture Protection

Noticed there were some dark spots on the back of my sink cover and one of the corners was weak and damaged, probably from being dropped. The discoloration is probably from mold stains. The sink is often wet when placing the cover on it and I thought this needs to be addressed.

Was able to mildly separate the layers of laminate wood and get epoxy in between the layers to shore it up. Sanded and cleaned the wood and applied three coats of polyurethane to the bottom, sides and finger hole. Now I’m happy the cover is sealed, repaired and moisture resistant.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5620.jpg   IMG_5621.jpg