Modifications to Our Sweet 17 B - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
I think you offer a fair trade Bobbie! Sounds like your place on Whidbey Island with beach access would be an ideal location to visit and also help-out an Escape Forum friend. :-)

Looks like you live in a wonderful place. Google Maps: "Picturesque hilly island with pastel & earth-toned wooden buildings..."
The hilly part is why I bought an ebike. I love down there (see pic.) (That's low tide.)
Attached Thumbnails
cabin from bluff.jpg  
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Joel, Nice Mods. Like the removable counter extension. The factory one simply didn't work with the mattress, hence its removal. Glad you are enjoying it.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:19 AM   #43

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
The counter extension is level and held in place tightly when installed. I just pop it out when travelling and place it on top of the bed.

Another smart idea! Though I had an extension installed to extend the wardrobe's counter into the doorway, I didn't have one installed next to the sink, because I didn't want it in the way of seating (at the U-shaped area) in my 17B. That said, I could certainly use the counter space right next to the sink while preparing food. Your assembly takes care of the issue. I'm going to save this page and find someone local to do the install. Thanks again for sharing!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
The hilly part is why I bought an ebike. I love down there (see pic.) (That's low tide.)
Beautiful view!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Beautiful view!
It was supposed to say I live down there, but I guess love works...

Hmm, I may have a local friend who could make those blocks for me.

I asked about putting the counter extension on the wardrobe and they wouldn't do it! I think someone must have misunderstood what I wanted as I've heard of several that did get that done. But I like this idea better.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
Joel, Nice Mods. Like the removable counter extension. The factory one simply didn't work with the mattress, hence its removal. Glad you are enjoying it.
Thank you. Yes indeed. We looked at reinstalling it and made sense why you removed it. Also, I think the stock brackets are unsightly. Simply doesn't work.

Just wrapped up our 7th outing this past weekend since July 4th. Just loving the trailer.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post

Another smart idea! I'm going to save this page and find someone local to do the install. Thanks again for sharing!
Thank you! Yes, the extra little bit of counter space square footage in a 17 B makes all the difference.

I finally re-discovered the mod which inspired me. Thank you Woodie. Post #19 on this thread with some nice pics:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post29826

I think a more skilled carpenter than myself would make easy work of creating and installing the L bracket counter side blocks for you Ava.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #48

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Joel: Thanks for providing the original post. I'm excited about this mod!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #49

I wonder if I could get an L bracket that is like those keyhole hangers where you put the bracket over a screw and then pull down so it goes up into a slot. Put those on instead of the folding ones. I like the blocks but screws would be easier if the bracket part is available.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #50

Installed New Front Window with Rock Guard

My 17 B came with an aftermarket tinted double pane front window and no rock guard. The seal between the two windows migrated over time breaking the seal and allowing rainwater between the window panes and moisture accumulation. We considered fixing this but decided we just want the stock front window and rock guard.

So, I'm thinking this is a custom mod to my trailer since it didn't come with the stock spec rock guard.

$420 USD (included installation of matching graphic, $40 crate fee and $80 shipping). I thought this was quite reasonable.

After carefully cutting a line in the original caulking above the window, unscrewing the interior window black metal band securing the window, I then Frog taped around the exterior fiberglass area of the window to protect the fiberglass and finish from the bicycle tire lever and plastic puddy knife which I used as levers to gently break the window seal and separate the window from the front wall.

Upon removal of the old window we discovered a difference in the thickness of the weather seal, off to Home Depot and luckily found an ideal product.

This was challenging and fun. The window is perfectly sealed and has been exposed to numerous rainstorms, snow and two washings. No leaks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5727.jpg   unnamed.jpg   IMG_5799.jpg   IMG_5807.jpg   IMG_5806.jpg  

IMG_5810.jpg   IMG_5811.jpg   IMG_5814.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #51

Installed New Front Window with Rock Guard, More Pics...

2 more pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5818.jpg   IMG_5821.jpg   IMG_6371.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Good job. Looks just like a brand new trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Good job. Looks just like a brand new trailer.
Thanks Dave!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm glad you put the Escape 17 graphics on. When I'm on the road I enjoy seeing other Escapes. But sometimes on a busy highway you only get a fleeting glance at the oncoming trailer. If there's no graphic on the front it might, gasp, get mistaken for a Casita.

Don't want to start a war but I've never understood why some folks don't want the factory graphics.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #55

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Hi Joel...does your trailer have insulation? I ask because in the pic with the window out I see the vinyl with the foam backing. That is what my 2010 has and I think it does not have added insulation. But maybe I'm wrong if yours does have insulation?
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm glad you put the Escape 17 graphics on. If there's no graphic on the front it might, gasp, get mistaken for a Casita.
Ron
My wife and I went back and forth on this decision. She really wanted the graphics and I didn't. I'm really glad I agreed with her foresight because I like the additional color on the front of the trailer and happy to advertise for Escape.

Oh, I didn't think about helping other fiberglass enthusiast easily identify our trailer, especially fellow Escape owners. There's so few of them in New England. I'm now even happier with the graphic. Don't want to be mistaken for a Casita! Thank you Ron!
Old 11-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have all the graphics except the rock shield. I didn't want it because it can be seen from inside. I would have been happy to have the graphics above the rock shield but didn't think of it.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Hi Joel...does your trailer have insulation? I ask because in the pic with the window out I see the vinyl with the foam backing. That is what my 2010 has and I think it does not have added insulation. But maybe I'm wrong if yours does have insulation?
I posted that pic to show the layers of material in the wall, glad it grabbed your attention. I found it interesting. I'm amazed how thin the fiberglass is.

I believe all the trailers have the vinyl with foam backing and are constructed like this. I could be wrong though. Maybe others have more insight.

My trailer has the added insulation on the underside of the trailer and I've seen some different stock spec foam material and silver reflective bubble material lining the walls under the permanent bed at the rear of the trailer.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I have all the graphics except the rock shield. I didn't want it because it can be seen from inside. I would have been happy to have the graphics above the rock shield but didn't think of it.
I agree with why you wouldn't desire the graphic because it's definitely seen on the inside of the trailer and it's pretty odd seeing it from this perspective. Oh, that's a neat idea putting the graphic above the front window.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #60

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
I posted that pic to show the layers of material in the wall, glad it grabbed your attention. I found it interesting. I'm amazed how thin the fiberglass is.

I believe all the trailers have the vinyl with foam backing and are constructed like this. I could be wrong though. Maybe others have more insight.

My trailer has the added insulation on the underside of the trailer and I've seen some different stock spec foam material and silver reflective bubble material lining the walls under the permanent bed at the rear of the trailer.
Hmmm...mine has the reflective bubble in the same area...the lower part of the trailer all the way around. But it doesn’t extend any higher up the walls. I’ve been under the impression this means I don’t have the extra insulation. But I’m really not clear on that. I think Escape changed away from the bubble insulation somewhere along the line.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote