Trip Planning for Pickup in Sumas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2022, 06:48 AM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Trip Planning for Pickup in Sumas

As we get closer to our October pickup we are starting to do a little planning. It's a little difficult since we don't know for sure when "Side Effect" will be completed. We are hoping for a bit of an earlier delivery. The GCD is 10/22 but the earlier in October the better.

We are planning the northern route out to Sumas and will be using our Marriott points in Sioux Falls SD, Bozeman MT and Bellingham,WA. We are also planning a quick overnight after pickup at the KOA in Lynden WA for a quick check out before the long journey home.

Depending on weather might take the northern route back to Bozeman and the on to Cheyenne WY to see our granddaughter. But we are planning a southern route to Cheyenne WY via Richland WA, Mountain Home ID, Perry, UT and Rawlins. These return locations are based mostly on a 4-5 hour drive schedule each day.

We have 2 weeks to make this runs and I look forward to any suggestions for our adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4164.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
About an hour or so south of Sumas is a Walmart, good place to pickup all the supplies you’ll need for a week of camping. We spent almost two hours there, much longer than we expected, but it’s a big store and there’s so many little things you’ll need in addition to food, drinks, etc…
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:50 AM   #3

Good Idea!
Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We have 2 weeks to make this runs and I look forward to any suggestions for our adventure.
Hi, WillyB. Looks like you’re very close to delivery day. Time seemed to speed up quickly at this point for us. You’ll be picking up your Escape before you know it!

Our route from the Cincinnati, Ohio area was very similar to yours. It’s a loooong drive, but obviously worth it. We stayed at the Sumas Mountain Lodge (Bob’s Burgers & Brews) which was very convenient for the delivery. The room wasn’t anything special. Not bad either though. Bob’s was a nice place to grab some dinner the night before. They don’t open until 11:00am, so it would lunch instead of breakfast on delivery day. We had a morning delivery then stayed for lunch at Bob’s to gather ourselves before starting our journey home with our 21C “Dreamscape” (our very first time towing anything).

We planned to hit Yellowstone on the way home (the Great Flood of ‘22 closed the entire park the whole time we were in the area though - major bummer!). We had already planned to camp in Grand Teton NP too, so we added a few days there.

On the trip home from Grand Teton we stayed in Custer, SD and visited Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park. The highlight on the way home was Badlands NP. There’s a boondocking spot just outside the NP in the Buffalo Gap National Grassland called “The Wall” that is absolutely spectacular. We only allotted one night there, but we wished we had planned more. We’ll be doing that next year when we head back to Yellowstone. Highly, highly recommend you carve out time for a stay at The Wall if weather permits.

Speaking of weather, while we were on our trip we had an overnight temp drop to 28 degrees (F). We unhooked from the campground water supply, turned on the heat pads (on campground electric), and ran the furnace. We had no problems whatsoever. It was a very comfortable night.

Good luck, and stay safe on your trip. Happy Camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
I live just east of Seattle. There is a LOT of highway work being done this fall which has caused lane closures on I-5, I-90 and I-405. I suggest keeping an eye on things with this website.

https://wsdot.com/Travel/Real-time/Map/

It shows current blockages and real time traffic flow. The good news is that they also have a phone app - search for 'WSDOT'.

If I was making the same trip I would not go through Seattle - I'd go north through Wenatchee and then west to I-5 on either HWY 2 or HWY 20. Both are two lane, but traffic moves fast and there is a LOT of spectacular scenery.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Exclamation

I just picked up my 19 on the 25th at Sumas. I really needed two days to get everything done before I headed back down south. Please use that website the expletive deleted didn't post they had closed the five freeway at the 90 and it took me two hours traveling 2 miles an hour or maybe 4 miles an hour with 10,000 of my best friends to make it to the 90 freeway and intersect to the 405. Since I was dry camping escape filled my freshwater tank when it was delivered (thank you delivery section) take your time don't push it. Make sure you have a trailer aid with you (that's a plastic device that you can backup on a Dooley and take the tire off. The tire did not fail the valve stem actually failed so on the side of the freeway I had to change a tire luckily it was in a mountain area and I pulled off your put your tire chains on lots of room. I seriously question buying this but I was watching the YouTube videos by adventures in no madness. Thank you Angie. Best of luck
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:54 AM   #7

If we have enough advanced notice on our pick up date our good friend is considering flying to Seattle to share in our adventure. If so, we will pick him up at the airport and stay the night in Bellingham. All of us will head to Sumas the next morning for the pick up and the long journey back home.

3 small adults and 1 Shih Tzu in a 21C for 12 days for its maiden voyage!

I'm not worried about the return as we will be taking the Southern route via Salt Lake but does anyone have any thoughts about the drive through the many passes between Bozeman and Seattle in a F-150 4 x 4?
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I'm not worried about the return as we will be taking the Southern route via Salt Lake but does anyone have any thoughts about the drive through the many passes between Bozeman and Seattle in a F-150 4 x 4?
We made the same drive through Bozeman and Seattle to Sumas in our 2021 F-150 4x4 with the PowerBoost (3.5L hybrid) engine. We had the “joy” of doing some of those passes in the rain - one stretch being in an outright downpour. I was on the cautious side with my speed because I was very new to driving a pickup truck. They obviously handle differently than the mid-size suvs I’m accustomed to driving. A lot of folks blew right by us on the sweeping downhill curves (even in the rain!), but if you go the speed you feel comfortable with you won’t have a problem. We towed back the same way (through some hefty crosswinds), and I was comfortable then too.

FYI - if your F-150 has adaptive cruise control and lane-centering, towing through passes is a lot less stressful. I know some people won’t use cruise control when towing, but I found the adaptive cruise control to be better for me. I figure the truck is better at down-shifting in those conditions than I am.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Keep a close eye on road conditions- 20 and 2 both have closures right now (mudslide and fire respectively). Any closure increases traffic on 90 so try to hit that nowhere near rush hour.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Keep a close eye on road conditions- 20 and 2 both have closures right now (mudslide and fire respectively). Any closure increases traffic on 90 so try to hit that nowhere near rush hour.

Hwy 20 has reopened.

Hwy 2 remains closed due to fire.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:14 AM   #11

We have a confirmed pick up date in Sumas on Monday 10/24 at Noon.

We are making a fast run from St. Louis, Sioux Falls, Bozeman, SeaTac Airport to pick up our friend and then arriving in Bellingham Sunday night. Monday morning I have a quick meeting with one of my customers in Bellingham and then on to Sumas. After picking up in Sumas we are staying the night at the KOA in Lyden, WA, 15 minute drive, to get organized for the return trip.

We have 12 days to get back home and are planning coming back through Salt Lake City to Cheyenne route to see our grand daughter and then back to The Lou. But if weather permits we'd love to go through Billings to Cheyenne.

Let me know your thoughts on route, camping spots and especially how far is a good length to drive per day. We are okay with stretching it a bit to get to Cheyenne and then a bit slower back to St. Louis.

PS: We're excepting donations to cover our fuel costs.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 21
Willy, beautiful scenery with that route make sure y’all have yer cameras ready