What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 108 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2024, 12:08 AM   #2141

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmm, I think the previous owner of my 19 told me that flipping the main disconnect switch would prevent the batts from being charged by the solar panel. Maybe he was wrong, or maybe I mis-remember.
My 2017 21 was wired with the solar controller direct to the battery bypassing the bypass switch. I subsequently added a Solar shutoff switch for safely working on things. My solar worked through a calmark cover over a winter and kept the 6volts charged.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:26 AM   #2142

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post

Before I brushed off the snow, I went in and checked the charge controller. 13.7V, 100% charge, 0 draw.
Darn, I hate being dumb! I didn't look in the solar charger manual and assumed the "0" was for draw on the batteries. Now I've looked up a manual online and see that field is for PV charging current.

Given that it was "0" with the snow still on the cover, I guess i should have checked the panel again after I swept off the snow. I'll do that next time.

Would the read-out show any charging current if the batteries are full, though?
Old 01-08-2024, 07:27 AM   #2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
My 2017 21 was wired with the solar controller direct to the battery bypassing the bypass switch. I subsequently added a Solar shutoff switch for safely working on things. My solar worked through a calmark cover over a winter and kept the 6volts charged.
Mine appears to be wired that way too, direct to the batteries.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:59 AM   #2144

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I picked this up for my Hot Tub, but while parked in my yard this has been great.
How portable are they?
Old 01-09-2024, 11:58 AM   #2145

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
How portable are they?
That’s the advantage of owning a pull behind over a 5.0, it could fit in the back of your pickup truck. I suppose if I didn’t have bikes on my bumper I could rig up something to transport it.
It's lightweight and sturdy, but it would take up quite a bit of space a in TV. After using it I would definitely take it with me if I had the room. I also really like having the extra grab handle it comes with.
There is a two step version that would probably work and be a little easier to load up. I’m on a slight incline where it’s parked but at most campsites the three step would be unnecessary.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:01 PM   #2146

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
That’s the advantage of owning a pull behind over a 5.0, it could fit in the back of your pickup truck. I suppose if I didn’t have bikes on my bumper I could rig up something to transport it. e where it’s parked but at most campsites the three step would be unnecessary.
So, it doesn’t fold up. Guess I’ll stick the dog ramp idea.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:28 AM   #2147

I went out tho the storage yard yesterday to check on the trailer and batteries.

Surprisingly, the Classic Accessories RV cover is still holding up. This is my third CA cover. Two were replaced under the 3 year warranty after they each disintegrated over one winter. CA must have improved the roof material because this is the current covers second winter and the material is still nice and strong.

I checked my two six volt batteries. This is the first winter I'm leaving them in the trailer hoping the solar panel will receive enough light through the cover to keep them charged. The top of the cover is somewhat translucent. The tail lights are visible through it.

That is an older photo. Yesterday the cover was clear of snow and it was windy so the cover was billowing up off the solar panel a bit.

The solar controller read-out showed 14.1V, 100% charge and 0 input. The last time I checked it showed 13.7V and 100% charge. I hope the 14.1V is OK. Does anyone know?

The solar panel does in fact seem to be getting enough light to maintain the batteries so this was a valuable experiment for me.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:32 AM   #2148

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I went out tho the storage yard yesterday to check on the trailer and batteries.

Surprisingly, the Classic Accessories RV cover is still holding up. This is my third CA cover. Two were replaced under the 3 year warranty after they each disintegrated over one winter. CA must have improved the roof material because this is the current covers second winter and the material is still nice and strong.

I checked my two six volt batteries. This is the first winter I'm leaving them in the trailer hoping the solar panel will receive enough light through the cover to keep them charged. The top of the cover is somewhat translucent. The tail lights are visible through it.

That is an older photo. Yesterday the cover was clear of snow and it was windy so the cover was billowing up off the solar panel a bit.

The solar controller read-out showed 14.1V, 100% charge and 0 input. The last time I checked it showed 13.7V and 100% charge. I hope the 14.1V is OK. Does anyone know?

The solar panel does in fact seem to be getting enough light to maintain the batteries so this was a valuable experiment for me.
Yes, 14.1V is ok at the final charging stage. Unless it's staying there all the time. The controller should be letting the batteries drop back down after a while to the usual (probably 13.6-13.8V range).
Old 02-26-2024, 01:01 PM   #2149

Thanks, Mike.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:53 PM   #2150

Trailer: 2021 Rockwood 2318G
Submitted my build sheet for a 21c :-)

Also ordered some stuff from amazon for it: suction cup towel bar, ratcheting paper towel holder, over the door spice rack, over the door coat hooks, dual axle wheel chocks. Member of Amazon vine, so all that stuff is free as long as I post a review :-)
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:11 PM   #2151
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Towed mine from Villahermosa to Ocozocoautla, setup at the Hogar Orphanage there. Nice camping spot!

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:09 PM   #2152

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Uncovered a week ago in prep for March camping, spring clean inside. Had bearings packed, brakes checked.

Snowed today

Fingers crossed.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:13 PM   #2153

I envy that eclipse trip, John. Also just realized tonight that we're both on cloudynights as well as the escape forums!
Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 PM   #2154

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I am on both sites Cloudynights and the Escape Forum.
Ken in AZ
Keep looking up
Drives1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:01 AM   #2155

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Me too for CN & escape forum.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:51 AM   #2156

Great to see a few fellow amateur astronomers on here! :-)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #2157

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Me too!

You can check out my astrophotography at….

https://chrisboar.com/astrophotography/
Old 02-28-2024, 01:38 PM   #2158
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
Me too!

You can check out my astrophotography at….

https://chrisboar.com/astrophotography/
Beautifully done!

(And the wedding-photo video, too).
Old 02-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #2159

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Wow Chris - Amazing photographs!
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:42 PM   #2160

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Finished repairing the broken grey tank connections on our 2019 E19. Let’s start with a HUGE THANK YOU to the forum members that took the time to post detailed photos and descriptions of how to address the epic engineering fail Escape implemented on some trailers of our vintage. We did not utilize any of the water systems post pick-up and sadly the trailer has been in storage most of the time since. While de-winterizing and preparing for an upcoming trip we found all of the connections to the grey tank were broken off at the threads. Some of the connections were less of a challenge to remedy than others with the vent being the largest PITA. With rubber connections in place we are now ready for the season and thankful for the kindness of forum members to share their knowledge for the benefit of others. I shudder to think of what this would have cost for a local RV shop to repair. Again, Thank You!!!
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote