What keeps you from camping? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
civi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hellertown, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Posts: 100
Waiting till the end of this month, when my 16` Scamp is ready. 26 days, who`s counting. Carl
__________________

civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Please remember, you can take family along when you camp, you can take time away from work, and camp with less money, but once your health slides (and it will, unexpectedly) your choices diminish.
__________________

Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #23
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 10,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Please remember, you can take family along when you camp, you can take time away from work, and camp with less money, but once your health slides (and it will, unexpectedly) your choices diminish.
Would you be my boss, please.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
dave macrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Posts: 847
I find it quite surprising how little money it takes to camp, ( not including initial investment ) I am refering to day to day expenses. We always find that we spend less money than if we were home. The only thing that seems to add up is the cost of gas if we are going a long distance.
__________________
MacRae, 21ft
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
St.Albert Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 1,443
Someone in the family who says "You just went camping last week. Look at the overgrown lawn, look at the dirty bathrooms, look at the peeling paint, etc., etc."

In a word: Guilt

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois, Illinois
Trailer: Escape 21
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Best wishes Tash for a speedy recovery. You'll be back out there soon.

By the way, do you ever go through Rantoul? My Mom runs the Prairie Pines RV Campground there.
I haven't been through that area in a long time, but my sister lives about 45 minutes from there.

And I love hearing some of you talk about retirement--good for you! I have only about 20 years to go!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,604
Just got back from nearly a full week of wilderness camping on the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit in BC. Did the 120 km circuit in five days, four of which were in nearly continuous heavy rain. Took an unexpected swim in the one rapid on the circuit on the day with the heaviest rain. Had to dry out a pile of stuff before continuing on. Packed canoes and gear over about 11 km of portages. My home built portage cart broke down several times and tore up the bottom of my canoe. Tore a biceps muscle paddling hard on a windy lake. My buddy over estimated the amount of food we needed and we ended up carrying about 40 lb of extra food weight around the entire circuit. Biggest animal we saw on the circuit was a squirrel but we did see a moose and three black bear on the way out. Met some wonderful people from all around the world. Could not see much of the scenery until the last day because of the rain. Last day was an awesome paddle through glass like water and wonderful scenery. My canoe trailer broke a weld on the 1000 km trip home. Had a great trip. Cannot wait to go camping again.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #28
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
What Keeps you from camping?

154 Days, 18 hours.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,130
"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Dave - sounds like you also took a knife and a spoon.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
dave macrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Just got back from nearly a full week of wilderness camping on the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit in BC. Did the 120 km circuit in five days, four of which were in nearly continuous heavy rain. Took an unexpected swim in the one rapid on the circuit on the day with the heaviest rain. Had to dry out a pile of stuff before continuing on. Packed canoes and gear over about 11 km of portages. My home built portage cart broke down several times and tore up the bottom of my canoe. Tore a biceps muscle paddling hard on a windy lake. My buddy over estimated the amount of food we needed and we ended up carrying about 40 lb of extra food weight around the entire circuit. Biggest animal we saw on the circuit was a squirrel but we did see a moose and three black bear on the way out. Met some wonderful people from all around the world. Could not see much of the scenery until the last day because of the rain. Last day was an awesome paddle through glass like water and wonderful scenery. My canoe trailer broke a weld on the 1000 km trip home. Had a great trip. Cannot wait to go camping again.
Sounds like quite an adventure. I must admit that packing the right amount of food is the toughest part for me when backpacking, I always seem to come home with lots of extra and wish I hadn't lugged the extra weight
__________________
MacRae, 21ft
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
St.Albert Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Please remember, you can take family along when you camp, you can take time away from work, and camp with less money, but once your health slides (and it will, unexpectedly) your choices diminish.
Well said! My wife and I decided about 10 years ago to start really enjoying life and the outdoors camping, traveling, motorcycling, hiking, canoeing, fishing...you name it while we still have good health and our desire for adventure. We won't retire for another 7-8 years but why wait for retirement?? The best time is right now!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #32
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Well said! My wife and I decided about 10 years ago to start really enjoying life and the outdoors camping, traveling, motorcycling, hiking, canoeing, fishing...you name it while we still have good health and our desire for adventure. We won't retire for another 7-8 years but why wait for retirement?? The best time is right now!
Ditto. We both recently turned 50. Why wait another 15 years?
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Just got back from nearly a full week of wilderness camping on the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit in BC. Did the 120 km circuit in five days, four of which were in nearly continuous heavy rain. Took an unexpected swim in the one rapid on the circuit on the day with the heaviest rain. Had to dry out a pile of stuff before continuing on. Packed canoes and gear over about 11 km of portages. My home built portage cart broke down several times and tore up the bottom of my canoe. Tore a biceps muscle paddling hard on a windy lake. My buddy over estimated the amount of food we needed and we ended up carrying about 40 lb of extra food weight around the entire circuit. Biggest animal we saw on the circuit was a squirrel but we did see a moose and three black bear on the way out. Met some wonderful people from all around the world. Could not see much of the scenery until the last day because of the rain. Last day was an awesome paddle through glass like water and wonderful scenery. My canoe trailer broke a weld on the 1000 km trip home. Had a great trip. Cannot wait to go camping again.
Any photos to share, beautiful country, if you got a chance to see past the clouds that is.

Quick trip. You might have used the food if you had to spend more time, though that is quite a bit extra.

Which river did you swim in, Isaac or Cariboo? The whole reason that the cookhouse on Lanezi is closed in, is for the many that take a swim in the Cariboo to warm up.

When I canoed the circuit, we did not see much wildlife either, but when I skied it, we saw lots, include hordes of moose, one wolverine, and a few wolves.

Crappy on your canoe cart, as they sure do make the portaging easier. Crappy on the trailer too. It seems you got the bugs worked out.

This shot was taken after rounding the NE corner of Isaac Lake. Similar conditions to what you had, by the sound of things. This was taken during a brief respite from the rain we had all the second day.



These guys kinda missed a portage takeout on the Isaac River. Taking to the owners of Bear River Mercantile, they lose a few canoes a year on the circuit.



Yeppers, I am really looking forward to the day I do this circuit again.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
What Keeps you from camping?

154 Days, 18 hours.
Lots of great tents out there. The Escapes are really nice, but.......

Fortunately, I started exploring the great outdoors in my early teens, and was hooked. I used to spend all my spare time in the backcountry, all year round, and started trailer camping when our kids were young. They slept in cribs in our tent trailer when babes.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #35
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of great tents out there. The Escapes are really nice, but.......

Fortunately, I started exploring the great outdoors in my early teens, and was hooked. I used to spend all my spare time in the backcountry, all year round, and started trailer camping when our kids were young. They slept in cribs in our tent trailer when babes.
I hear you Jim. We love to camp, but the tent thing is getting very old -- thus the name 'Past Tents' for our new Escape.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I hear you Jim. We love to camp, but the tent thing is getting very old -- thus the name 'Past Tents' for our new Escape.
LOL. Fitting name.

Not quite Past Tents here just yet. I am hoping I am still using one where needed for many a year yet.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: st louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2006 casita
Posts: 31
Child support and private school has kept me from camping but i am thankful to have had the opportunity to own a casita and introduce my daugther to camping at a young age. I was a kid that was raised in the projects in Nyc and never saw a real tree until I 13 Now that I hit 50 I am determined to enjoy life as I no longer have the payments to my daugter education and support. I have no regret to either but cant wait to order an escape next not olny for product but the people that own them, as I have said many many times
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #38
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Child support and private school has kept me from camping but i am thankful to have had the opportunity to own a casita and introduce my daugther to camping at a young age. I was a kid that was raised in the projects in Nyc and never saw a real tree until I 13 Now that I hit 50 I am determined to enjoy life as I no longer have the payments to my daugter education and support. I have no regret to either but cant wait to order an escape next not olny for product but the people that own them, as I have said many many times
Thank you for sharing that Kevin. I look forward to meeting you at some future egg rally.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,604
When you get views like this while canoe camping, it is easy to wait a little longer to take out the Escape.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,130
Beauty.
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×