Why not use the trunk instead of the front storage box? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've had the box from the beginning, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I can tell you, it gets a ton of use, and in the 19 it gives you a great place for the batteries too.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My avatar and her brother take up the bed of my truck.

Love the storage box.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One additional consideration. With some tow vehicles it is easy to exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating yet still have a fair amount of Trailer Weight Rating left. Moving weight from the tow vehicle to the trailer may be a practical solution.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
My avatar and her brother take up the bed of my truck.

Love the storage box.
That must be one big truck! Newfies?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #25

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
front box

we thought about the box but declined I'm hoping to get a northern tool metal box smaller profile ? Once we get the trailer home we will see.
I also have access to a metal fabricator that made my front box for my Snoozy so I might use them again .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #26
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
The bed of a pickup is not secure (the tongue box really isn't either but it gives the impression of such with a lock). You can do things to secure the bed of a truck (tonneau cover or canopy) but they'll cost somewhat less than (or well over) what the tongue box would cost.

Not all pickup tailgates can open when hitched up. My Tundra tailgate hits the standard tongue jack. There are things you can do about that (removable jack) but I haven't, so getting things in and out of the bed while hitched up is a bit of a hassle (the Tundra bed is deep making it difficult to reach the bottom from the outside)

What goes in the tongue box stays in the box and is always there. I could see if a person dedicated 2 or 3 totes to camping they'd fill up quickly then there likely would be other misc. things you'd have to remember to grab in addition to the dedicated totes. I'd easily forget those additional things. When the tongue box gets full it forces one (me) to prioritize as to what gets a place in the tongue box and what truly isn't needed. Or one would have to remember those now additional misc. things to grab for camping and I'm back to forgetting those misc. things.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
What donna said. Some car are just amazing !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9081.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've had the box from the beginning, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I can tell you, it gets a ton of use, and in the 19 it gives you a great place for the batteries too.
Totally agree. As well the protection of the front of the trailer.
All our "dirty" stuff goes in there when packing up. And when you actually think about it, it's quite a bit: ax, wheel blocks, levelling locks, light tools, quick connect hose, outside mat, table cover and holders, dish pan and dish brush, wet stuff like last used tea towel, little propane bottles.
Mostly all this stuff you need first when parking, and last when leaving. Very convenient to have it in one place close by.
Very well worth spent money having ETI's storage box. (my opinion)
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
Not all pickup tailgates can open when hitched up. My Tundra tailgate hits the standard tongue jack. There are things you can do about that (removable jack)
I found my taligate would easily open when I bought a Reese 3215 shank that was needed for enough drop. It is 13.5" from the center of hitch pin hole to center of ball. My previois Andersen was 10.5" and opening it was difficult. A Curt model that would give enough drop was 17" out- pushing the trailer too far back for my liking.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I have my Escape 17b now, and I have to say that I really love the front storage box. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's indispensable, but I really really like it. Thanks for convincing me!
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Poll those that either bought used or ordered a custom build from ETI without the front storage box and how many have regrets? There's been several posts from those "back east" that want to purchase the ETI storage box and found out shipping is/was prohibitive. Yes you can buy something else and it may work. But if you're buy new... really consider "now" or "later."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Poll those that either bought used or ordered a custom build from ETI without the front storage box and how many have regrets? There's been several posts from those "back east" that want to purchase the ETI storage box and found out shipping is/was prohibitive. Yes you can buy something else and it may work. But if you're buy new... really consider "now" or "later."
When we were at our orientation last Wednesday I saw 3 of the front storage boxes being carried out to vehicles. They certainly weren't crated for shipping so maybe owners are driving up to get them?

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 19'
After 3 week trip, I can't say enough positives about front storage box. Folks on the road commented more on this than my beautiful trailer!
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
That storage box just looks like it should be there. And as others have said, it is the permanent home for all of the stuff that goes with the trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We haven't added the storage box to our Build Sheet yet and we've got a couple of questions...
1. What are the dimensions of the box for a 19 footer?
2. We understand our battery would sit inside the box. Hubby is thinking it might be pretty difficult to pull the battery out to put it on the trickle charger after every trip as we currently do.
I kinda drool when I look at that box and think about all the items we carry in the rear of our SUV that could be hidden in it but I also worry about the tongue weight and any additional "sag" it might cause for us.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
We haven't added the storage box to our Build Sheet yet and we've got a couple of questions...

2. We understand our battery would sit inside the box. Hubby is thinking it might be pretty difficult to pull the battery out to put it on the trickle charger after every trip as we currently do.
Yes, it would be. You would need to remove anything stored on top of the battery (or batteries) - and the fans of the box insist that a big advantage of the box is that you never need to unpack it between trips - then remove the panel which separates the battery from cargo, then lift the battery out.

The battery does not need to be removed for charging. Linda, why would you take it out? Are you storing the battery somewhere without power for the charger, and taking the battery home?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, it would be. You would need to remove anything stored on top of the battery (or batteries) - and the fans of the box insist that a big advantage of the box is that you never need to unpack it between trips - then remove the panel which separates the battery from cargo, then lift the battery out.

The battery does not need to be removed for charging. Linda, why would you take it out? Are you storing the battery somewhere without power for the charger, and taking the battery home?
We have the box in the 19 . Love it ! It is so easy to check the batteries .We never remove the batteries and just hook up a charger with batteries still installed in box , check water level etc. our npbatteries will probably never be removed unless we need to change them out . We also very easy hook up a portable panel to batteries while they are in the box . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Even if you keep it in a storage lot with no power, you likely have fully charged the battery while towing it home.
Just flip the battery disconnect switch and you should be good to go weeks later.
I'm not speaking from experience, but that's my understanding.
I keep my trailer plugged in the house mains year round, but it's in my driveway.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We are picking up a new 21 next month with storage box. My last 21 did not have one and I never really thought about it. I didn't really like the looks of it. But, in Feb we were camping in Florida and while walking in the evening a new arrival rolled in. He had a 21 with the front storage box. For whatever reason seeing the box while in motion and hooked up to the tow vehicle really spoke to us. So we called Escape soon after and told them to put a box on our new Escape. Just another way of looking at it.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks for your replies. About the battery issue... We store the camper in a lot with no electricity so we couldn't charge the battery while in storage. It is our understanding that we need to keep it on the trickle charger when not camping, so hubby currently has to lift it off the camper to hook it up at home. Do we not need to do this during camping season to maintain our battery charge? That would be lovely! The battery is very heavy and awkward to move. We certainly would want to put it on the charger in off-season. This battery thing is really complicating the box thing for us! So many "things" to think about!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote