Window choices on new build - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2022, 09:33 AM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Both window panels have a visible gap (maybe 1/2") in the rubber seal near the middle vertical frame support where the dust comes in. I've assumed it was by design to allow condensation to drain. Most road conditions don't cause much concern but it's a nuisance at times.
We have a small gap in the middle of our 5.0's rear awning windows that can let some dust in. I just took a small piece of gasket material to close the opening. We rarely open the windows, perhaps once a year, and the screens are always removed for a much better view.

Years ago, when traveling dusty roads, we learned to turn our Maxxfan on, blowing air INTO the camper, to help stop any dust from entering gaps from the bottom or the rear. Make sure it's blowing in, not out though!

The nice thing about fiberglass campers is they don't suck in near the dust our previous stickies would.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Our rear frameless seal all the way around.
Mine are all frameless and seal tightly with no dust. I like to put a dusting of 303 on them using a soft cloth when I think about it.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I wonder if Escape will eventually offer acrylic windows like Johnny Hung installed on his 21. Really nice. Go to 3:45 in the video...

I can see using one. but, at the price, at this point I want to wait & see how they age. I'm thinking of the headlights on the cars parked in the sun.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We are picking up on 21C on Monday and ordered it with sliding windows for a couple of reasons. One because we can open the windows with the manual awning not deployed and two because we did not want a center divider in the rear window.

Our trailer is coming with the new "non-screen" emergency window. I ordered the old version with the screen and red handle rom Lippert and after sending me a few that were damaged they finally sent me one that is perfect. The last damaged one they sent on had a very minor blemish in the metal frame and they said they did not want it back.

I will post it for sale later once I get our new 21C back home and settled in.
Can you tell me what the "non-screen emergency window" is. I think I remember it being an awning type window, but does it not come with a screen?
peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:00 AM   #25

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Can you tell me what the "non-screen emergency window" is. I think I remember it being an awning type window, but does it not come with a screen?
It's not quite an awning window. It still has a visible exterior frame but the glass is hinged at the top. To open the window you simply pull two large red handles and push the glass open. No Screen.

In the spring I will be removing this window and installing what was the original style emergency window with the screen.

The trip we just made to pick up our Escape I can tell you that not having a screened emergency window is a pain.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
It's not quite an awning window. It still has a visible exterior frame but the glass is hinged at the top. To open the window you simply pull two large red handles and push the glass open. No Screen.

In the spring I will be removing this window and installing what was the original style emergency window with the screen.

The trip we just made to pick up our Escape I can tell you that not having a screened emergency window is a pain.
thanks for the explanation. So having no screen pretty much makes it a useless window during most of the camping season if you want to keep bugs out?! Is the frameless emergency window different from the framed emergency window? I've watched so many videos i don't remember there being one about the emergency window. I could only find the one discussing the differences between the frameless and framed but it doesn't discuss emergency windows. We're trying to decide what we want to choose before our configuration stage comes around. Thanks for your feedback.
peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:02 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have read you get about the same airflow with both window options. We have the sliders and I love them. We have both optional windows, kitchen and bath, the airflow is good for little windows. The extra light is noticeable. We leave the small windows open if we’re away from the trailer. I do wish the back window opened but it gives a nicer view without the screen and cross bars.

I have read many complaints about the frameless windows breaking or falling off. Frustration I don’t need. The frameless windows won’t open if your manual awning isn’t deployed.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:45 AM   #28

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
thanks for the explanation. So having no screen pretty much makes it a useless window during most of the camping season if you want to keep bugs out?! Is the frameless emergency window different from the framed emergency window? I've watched so many videos i don't remember there being one about the emergency window. I could only find the one discussing the differences between the frameless and framed but it doesn't discuss emergency windows. We're trying to decide what we want to choose before our configuration stage comes around. Thanks for your feedback.
We have the sliders and like them plus we bought the original screened emergency window and from directly from Lippert. We prefer the rear window as one big pane of glass with no center post or screen obstructing the rear view.

Also, the additional cost of the frameless window did play into our decision process.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
It’s a tough call, many really like their awning windows.

I think it was Karl who said in a video the awning windows were best for areas that get a lot of rain. Sliders would give the best airflow.

I have sliders, along with the rear window being the split awning option. So far I’ve found him to be right. I can crack those rear awning windows when it’s raining or just to keep it fresh inside with no worries.

Odd the emergency window no longer has a screen, liability maybe.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Our 2019 21C emergency window has a screen. It comes out easily, so if there were an emergency, I don't think it would slow you down much.

While we're on windows, are tinted windows standard? Ours are so heavily tinted that we think it's dark outside when it really isn't. It's a little depressing sometimes.

I understand that they do improve privacy a bit, and may help keep the interior cooler in hot summer days. But in the Spring and Fall I found myself wishing for clearer glass.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #31

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
It’s a tough call, many really like their awning windows.

I think it was Karl who said in a video the awning windows were best for areas that get a lot of rain. Sliders would give the best airflow.

I have sliders, along with the rear window being the split awning option. So far I’ve found him to be right. I can crack those rear awning windows when it’s raining or just to keep it fresh inside with no worries.

Odd the emergency window no longer has a screen, liability maybe.
I have the awning back window as well and like it - best of both worlds having slider on the side and awning on the rear. I also have one of the last screened emergency windows but to be honest I've struggled to get the screen to fit properly so I tend not to use it much.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:02 AM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Better Airflow?

Stop and think about this: “How much airflow do you get from that large rear window when it’s fixed and can’t open?”

Sprare me on the flawed argument you get better airflow with sliders that only open 45% at the most, plus the loss of airflow from largest and only window on that side that doesn’t open at all and a bar to look at in the middle of every slider window.

I’ll take airflow from 3 sides with awning windows over 2 sides with sliders any day. Plus, with awning you get two large windows you don’t get with sliders, unless ETI has come to it’s senses and allows an awning window in the rear to be purchased with the slider option. Even with that option, after four years with the awning window option I don’t miss that bar in the middle you get with sliders and have no problems with the mythical non-existent airflow argument.

Food for thought,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Better Airflow?

Stop and think about this: “How much airflow do you get from that large rear window when it’s fixed and can’t open?”

Sprare me on the flawed argument you get better airflow with sliders that only open 45% at the most, plus the loss of airflow from largest and only window on that side that doesn’t open at all and a bar to look at in the middle of every slider window.

I’ll take airflow from 3 sides with awning windows over 2 sides with sliders any day. Plus, with awning you get two large windows you don’t get with sliders, unless ETI has come to it’s senses and allows an awning window in the rear to be purchased with the slider option. Even with that option, after four years with the awning window option I don’t miss that bar in the middle you get with sliders and have no problems with the mythical non-existent airflow argument.

Food for thought,

Perry
I do like having both, but I will say the sliders could use improvement with the slide.

Now what I’d really like is to custom each window to my liking.

Sliders in the bedroom, 5th wheel anyway, awning in the bathroom. The bathroom window goes to whatever choice you make.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have dual pane windows. IMHO THAT is the best feature. After struggling with condensation with single pane windows in my Scamp, I love what I now have! I believe duals are a standard feature now, they were an option when I bought.... like a $1,000 option and worth every penny.

There are plenty of windows in my trailer that open. That with the three vents on the roof I have PLENTY of ventilation, cross and otherwise.

It's not worth arguing about. Love the one you're with!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #35

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have dual pane windows. IMHO THAT is the best feature. After struggling with condensation with single pane windows in my Scamp, I love what I now have! I believe duals are a standard feature now, they were an option when I bought.... like a $1,000 option and worth every penny.

There are plenty of windows in my trailer that open. That with the three vents on the roof I have PLENTY of ventilation, cross and otherwise.

It's not worth arguing about. Love the one you're with!
+1 !!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote