5.0TA Cargo Box - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post
https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black
I have this already and I'm putting on the back of my 5.0.
It weighs 50 pounds and I will load load it with another hundred maybe.
I also looked at that box. Way too heavy for the 150Lb limit on the bumper of my 21C. As someone else mentioned, the box only is 53 lbs, which doesn't include the mounting frame of 23-46 lbs. In addition to the weight, it's width would partially cover my tail lights, unless I wired it to my trailer. Also the specifications read, "Designed for vehicles and hitches with a minimum 300 lbs tongue weight capacity". I also wondered how "stable" it would be to not vibrate or bounce around when driving.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a StowAway II to my 2011 17B. No problems with stability or vibration (I did use a hitch tightener). I added a connector for the built in StowAway II lights.

I used it for bulky but light stuff & kept the total weight in the neighborhood of 150 pounds. If I was going to do it again, I'd order it without the swing away mount and use a hitch extension to get past the spare. For the rare times you need the spare tire I'd be willing to remove the StowAway II to get at the tire. The lid would not open all the way, but enough to be usable & it would save 30 - 40 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
_ADS6113.jpg  
Old 07-03-2023, 09:03 AM   #43

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Jim, this is outstanding. It's been a few years. How has it held up since you installed it? Anything you'd do differently?

Is the base steel? I see you removed the spare tire post entirely. I was thinking of using that to attach the top of the box for added support. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not planning to mount bikes atop the one I am planning, and was thinking of having a sloped top to shed water, and also to open like a lid, with a door in front that opens like a tailgate. (No shelves inside for me, planning on having it store generator, gas cans and lawn chairs. Maybe the spare tire).
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Jim, this is outstanding. It's been a few years. How has it held up since you installed it? Anything you'd do differently?

Is the base steel? I see you removed the spare tire post entirely. I was thinking of using that to attach the top of the box for added support. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not planning to mount bikes atop the one I am planning, and was thinking of having a sloped top to shed water, and also to open like a lid, with a door in front that opens like a tailgate. (No shelves inside for me, planning on having it store generator, gas cans and lawn chairs. Maybe the spare tire).
It is holding up great. I finally took it off and painted the frame and bumper with POR-15 and just reinstalled it yesterday.

The base frame is steel. I just weighed it and it is 45 lbs. Last year due to some bad tire wear I finally had to lower the spare and it was real easy to do. Straightening the axle was done by a shop here in Calgary.

It is a great place to carry your bikes, I am curious to where you would carry them otherwise. The bottom hinged door would be good, but one big one might be a bit of a pain. The great thing with the two doors, is the right side (first opened) contains the stuff commonly used. The left side some lesser used stuff like the propane fire pit.

We have solar so no need to carry my genset or gas. Besides, I would likely carry that in the rear and on a couple cases where I wanted it for construction at our land reasons, it went on the floor in the back of the cab. Our chairs go into the top step storage inside.

Having fun with the designing and building, I know I spent a lot of time at that, and do share with us the build and photos of the resulting cargo box.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:42 AM   #45

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another thing I decided to do to keep the weight forward was to mount the box on top of the rear bumper, and flush with the front of it. This put the rear of the box only 20" behind the bumper, way less than my previous 2 bike rack extended.

I hired out the construction of the box and the frame it sat on to a local welder I use. They welded two 2" receivers hard to each side of the trailer frame. Each one of these receivers is a lot stronger than the center mounted one Escape installs, so there was no concern of the trailer frame handling the extra weight.

The box is built out of 1/8" aluminum. I had considered thinner material for weight savings, but opted for adding a few pounds to gain a much stronger box.

Here are some photos from my welder from when the box was first roughed out, and they were building the steel support under it, getting everything set up just right.

After this they added the door hardware including hinges and latches. I also had them add a shelf inside. It was then sent to the powdercoaters to get a nice finish.

Here are a few photos showing the support frame taken while the box was getting powdercoated.

I bolted the 1UP racks to the top through cross members added inside the box. The bikes are very stable on there. The one thing I did not consider was how tight the front bike handle bars would be to the trailer, but with 22" bars they are about 2" away. A tennis ball is used on it to protect the trailer should some really bad bumps be hit. Hey, at least the weight is as forward as possible.

I never did weigh it, maybe I will some day, but empty we estimate it to be just over 200 lbs with the bike racks on.
Hi Jim, I am in the process of adding a storage box very similar in size to the one you had custom made. I am wondering if you remember what size tubing they used in frame and what wall thickness it was. Also now that you have had it for awhile is there anything you would change with the design. thanking you in advance Denis
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckled62 View Post
Hi Jim, I am in the process of adding a storage box very similar in size to the one you had custom made. I am wondering if you remember what size tubing they used in frame and what wall thickness it was. Also now that you have had it for awhile is there anything you would change with the design. thanking you in advance Denis
The pieces going into the receivers are 2" x 2" so they fit well inside and the cross pieces are 1 1/2" x 2". No idea what the thickness is, I just told the guy fabricating to make it as light as possible.

I have to still say we just love this thing, it is where we carry almost all of our campground items like propane fireplace, outdoor stove, cables and hoses, antenna (which gets very little use), awning support pole, etc. I also carry spare fix-it stuff and parts in a bin there. And it works great to carry our bikes and though a wee bit higher than bumper mounted it is still easy to get the bikes up and I use a two step stool for putting the cover over them.

In some ways not as deep might be nice but there are a few bins along with the fireplace that just fit nice. Plus it is just deep enough for mounting the two bike racks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-19-2024, 11:00 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I have to still say we just love this thing, it is where we carry almost all of our campground items
Yes, even though there's room in the back of the truck a rear box is just so convenient for access, hard to beat.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
16-01-2007 1-26-41 AM_0008_resize.jpg   IMGP0033_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, even though there's room in the back of the truck a rear box is just so convenient for access, hard to beat.

Ron
Hi Ron
I see an Erickson sticker near the bottom of your box. Is it a pre-made RV box made by Erickson?
Old 02-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I used an Erikson cargo carrier as the platform to build a box. The box is semi-monocoque meaning that it has no internal structure. The curved corners give it all the strength it needs.

I don't have multiple receivers but the spare tire holder attaches to the rear wall and prevents any side-to-side movement.

The bonus was that it was the perfect size for my portable solar panel. Instead of being tucked away it's in a position that often adds to my solar. If not, I have quick release pins and can put it in a better solar area.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-01-2007 8-29-06 PM_0003_resize.jpg   13-10-2020 3-42-49 PM_0002_resize.jpg   22-10-2020 5-48-43 PM_0007_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:51 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I used an Erikson cargo carrier as the platform to build a box. The box is semi-monocoque meaning that it has no internal structure. The curved corners give it all the strength it needs.

I don't have multiple receivers but the spare tire holder attaches to the rear wall and prevents any side-to-side movement.

The bonus was that it was the perfect size for my portable solar panel. Instead of being tucked away it's in a position that often adds to my solar. If not, I have quick release pins and can put it in a better solar area.
Ron
Thanks. That looks like a great solution. The cargo carriers are on sale right now, too.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:18 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I think these are as close to Jim's box as you can get without having one custom built. I was looking at these a couple of years ago. There are lots of options and sizes, smooth aluminum, diamond plate and also powder coated.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/x...x24x72-1705450
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
I think these are as close to Jim's box as you can get without having one custom built. I was looking at these a couple of years ago. There are lots of options and sizes, smooth aluminum, diamond plate and also powder coated.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/x...x24x72-1705450
At the time I was in the planning phase I looked at a lot of these and just could not find one the right size, especially depth wise. Most have full width doors and installing the tail/brake lights would need to be done on these but I would bet it would not be very though. You could always keep the box narrow and use the existing trailer lights.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:00 PM   #53

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Quote:
The pieces going into the receivers are 2" x 2" so they fit well inside and the cross pieces are 1 1/2" x 2". No idea what the thickness is, I just told the guy fabricating to make it as light as possible.

I have to still say we just love this thing, it is where we carry almost all of our campground items like propane fireplace, outdoor stove, cables and hoses, antenna (which gets very little use), awning support pole, etc. I also carry spare fix-it stuff and parts in a bin there. And it works great to carry our bikes and though a wee bit higher than bumper mounted it is still easy to get the bikes up and I use a two step stool for putting the cover over them.

In some ways not as deep might be nice but there are a few bins along with the fireplace that just fit nice. Plus it is just deep enough for mounting the two bike racks.
Thanks for the info Jim, if you don't mind me asking what did the entire project cost.
I am just weighing the options of have the box built or using a ready made box built by Norcan Aluminum that is the same size as your. The Box is $1393 plus tax so i would have to add the price of the frame and trailer attachments which i am sure can be done for around $500.
thanks again
Denis
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckled62 View Post
Thanks for the info Jim, if you don't mind me asking what did the entire project cost.
I am just weighing the options of have the box built or using a ready made box built by Norcan Aluminum that is the same size as your. The Box is $1393 plus tax so i would have to add the price of the frame and trailer attachments which i am sure can be done for around $500.
thanks again
Denis
Given that I did this 6 years ago, I don't remember. I could have the wife look for the transactions if it is still on our computer. Basically the costs were the box itself, getting it powder coated and the two 1UP roof racks I use for bikes. Oh yeah, the taillights, interior lights and license plate holder. Is your price in CAD, if so I would bet it is a bit less. $500 seems cheap for the bike racks, frame and all the wiring needs. I did the design and had the welding shop come up with all the details it needed as they were quite used to this type of work.

Edit: I seem to remember it being near $3k CAD all in.