Add rear lights to hitch box? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Add rear lights to hitch box?

Hello, I have a friend making a storage box to go on the hitch receiver on our 5.0. I will cover the lower rear brake lights, so I want to add lights to the box that tie into the trailer's lights. Anyone have info on how to do this? Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I would tap in a 4 prong connector (from the 4 prong connector in the truck next to the 7 wire) truck to the back of the trailer to tie in to the new lights. Sort of a parallel line going back there. If you bought the spray foam under the trailer, just run it outside of the foam. Leave what the factory gave you alone. Buy a good quality round cable to run back there as opposed to a cheapie flat one from Harbor Freight. I think you can find that at RH Scales on Riverside Drive in Portland
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
In my 2021 5.0 ETI made the final connection to the taillights on both sides with a WAGO connector. On one side it was barely visible under the edge of the flexible wall material ending under the dinette bench, the other a bit higher under that wall covering but easily exposed by peeling up the material (again, all below the bench seat). The WAGO connectors lend to easily lifting the lever for each wire and adding another for aux lighting as appropriate - no cutting or alteration of the trailer's OE wiring required.

Here's a page showing a typical WAGO connector with videos showing how they work.

Your aux light wires will be very small, you can easily drill a small hole to pass them through the bottom of the shell under the dinette and use your preferred sealant (Proflex, etc) inside and out to make that penetration watertight.

As long as you use commonly available LED trailer-type fixtures for your aux lights there will be no issue with the slight additional load in parallel on the existing circuit.

Just one option for your consideration, IMO much easier than running and securing wires from the front of the trailer and perfectly suitable to the need, have fun!
I did not add aux taillights to my trailer but did replace the OE taillight fixtures with larger LED taillight arrays, making the connection at those WAGO connectors (and adding backup lights to aid rear trailer-cam visibility in low light when backing)
Old 07-02-2023, 06:48 PM   #4

Centex, haven't been able to get in there yet. Would going through the un-needed battery vents be a good option? Maybe have a connector of some sort put there?
Old 07-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Your sidebar says your 5.0 is on order; I'd just sit-tight until you have your trailer and then scope-out / mock-up wire-routing alternatives with the trailer in front of you so you can decide what will work best to meet all of your specific need and preference criteria.

Every aspect of a project like this invariably has multiple solutions with different pros and cons. IME the most satisfying outcomes are based on working the issues with the 'worksite' (the trailer) in front of you. OMO / IME advance planning 'in absentia' is great but it has its limits, particularly as one drills-down to the details.

The main point of my post was to inform of a potentially convenient point of connection to the required trailer circuits for your consideration.

You may have reviewed Jim Bennett's 5.0TA Cargo Box (with taillights) thread, Jim may be a good resource of ideas for your project.

Have Fun!
Old 07-03-2023, 07:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I used a five pin trailer connection to go from my trailer to the rear cargo box for tail and brake lights along with interior lights to see in there in the dark.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
2022 21c , we had ETI wire a 4 flat connector. It was cheap and well worth it.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:29 AM   #8

I wish I had thought of having the connector installed, but it wasn't on the sheet.

Jim, how did you install the five pin trailer connection on the trailer?
Old 07-07-2023, 09:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
I wish I had thought of having the connector installed, but it wasn't on the sheet.

Jim, how did you install the five pin trailer connection on the trailer?
I wired one end into the light cables inside the trailer and the other to the lights on and inside the cargo box. The cable is mounted about 8" in from the side of the box and about8+10" long.

My five connections were negative, left and right turn (brake), tail and positive for interior lights.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote