Air conditioner options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2021, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21C
Air conditioner options

We are getting ready to complete our build sheet for a 21C. What are folks experiences with the two different AC units offered, the 11K vs the 13.5K units? It seems the Dometic is quite loud, much more so than the 13.5K unit. Any thoughts out there?
Dcgrout@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Perhaps of interest:
Old 03-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Read this thread. If you want the quietest rooftop unit available consider getting it installed aftermarket. RecPro has these in 9.5K and 13.5K units. I recommend the 9.5K for the best dehumidifying. Escapes should all be A/C ready and the Houghton unit has a remote. I did a mini-split but if I hadn’t I would be all over this.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ner-17936.html
Old 03-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Read this thread. If you want the quietest rooftop unit available consider getting it installed aftermarket. RecPro has these in 9.5K and 13.5K units. I recommend the 9.5K for the best dehumidifying. Escapes should all be A/C ready and the Houghton unit has a remote. I did a mini-split but if I hadn’t I would be all over this.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ner-17936.html
The 9.5K is showing out of stock. I think people are on to these quieter units now.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioners/
Old 03-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
On the Facebook group people are reporting that the Coleman A/C unit has been removed from the build sheet options because of a lack of availability for the foreseeable future. People who had selected it on their build sheet are being notified that the only option for now is the Dometic.

The great RV component shortage continues...
That's explained in the video in post #2, straight from ETI
Old 03-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The 9.5K is showing out of stock. I think people are on to these quieter units now.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioners/

I'm just going to spec my Escape with no AC and add the RecPro 9.5k in 2022. If it still isn't available, then 2023.

AC is just an every once in a while need for me anyway.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I am a little confused by the video. I assumed the max fan is a standard feature included on all Escapes. Is that correct? Or is the Max Fan an option? Also that the Vent mentioned in the video is strictly and open a close metal vent cover. Actually I just stopped typing and scoured through all of the Escape literature I have and the neither is mentioned an option or standard feature. If you have a Max Fan the only reason to have the vent is so you have an opening in the roof to facilitate install an A/C at a later date.
If Someone can clarify this I would be grateful.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
I am a little confused by the video. I assumed the max fan is a standard feature included on all Escapes. Is that correct? Or is the Max Fan an option? Also that the Vent mentioned in the video is strictly and open a close metal vent cover. Actually I just stopped typing and scoured through all of the Escape literature I have and the neither is mentioned an option or standard feature. If you have a Max Fan the only reason to have the vent is so you have an opening in the roof to facilitate install an A/C at a later date.
Look at the interior photos of the 21C the is a glimpse of the Max fan above the bed. I assume then ETI will install a vent instead of the A/C unless you want 2 Max Fans.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
The standard trailer has a max fan and then a manually openable vent in the A/C “hole”. Many opt for a second Maxfan for additional ventilation, or an Air Conditioner (with optional heating element) for that second hole. The change is that the only AC option is the Dometic since they cannot source the Colman unit. A few ask for no second hole to make room for additional solar but that is a custom modification.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #10

Greatboatz3, per my build-sheet discussions with Linda at ETI ...
  1. MaxFan is standard for the front roof opening
  2. If no AC is selected, a non-fan manual-opening vent is standard for the rear roof opening
  3. If no AC is selected, a Maxfan (matching the standard front one) is an extra-cost option for the rear roof opening
  4. If no AC is selected ETI will upon customer request completely eliminate the rear roof and interior headliner cutouts (no charge / no credit)
#4 might seem odd, but that's what I've ordered in anticipation of DIY install of a bumper-mounted minisplit AC and desire for an un-interrupted rear roof to facilitate DIY install of PV solar panels over that area.

Hope that helps clarify.

edit - woops, camp4528 covered it while I was typing, apology for the redundancy
Old 03-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
[LIST=1]
edit - woops, camp4528 covered it while I was typing, apology for the redundancy
Centex, your writing is always much clearer than mine. Don’t stop.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Greatboatz3, per my build-sheet discussions with Linda at ETI ...
  1. MaxFan is standard for the front roof opening
  2. If no AC is selected, a non-fan manual-opening vent is standard for the rear roof opening
  3. If no AC is selected, a Maxfan (matching the standard front one) is an extra-cost option for the rear roof opening
  4. If no AC is selected ETI will upon customer request completely eliminate the rear roof and interior headliner cutouts (no charge / no credit)
#4 might seem odd, but that's what I've ordered in anticipation of DIY install of a bumper-mounted minisplit AC and desire for an un-interrupted rear roof to facilitate DIY install of PV solar panels over that area.

Hope that helps clarify.
Thanks Centex, I thought having the max fan with the vent was a possible configuration but I wasn't certain. I am hoping to have the RecPro 9.5K available. If not I'll most likely go with their 13.5K w/ Heat Strip
Old 03-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Centex, I thought having the max fan with the vent was a possible configuration but I wasn't certain. I am hoping to have the RecPro 9.5K available. If not I'll most likely go with their 13.5K w/ Heat Strip
No worries, that oughta work out swell (I'd probably defer until the 9.5KBTU is available for reasons already stated by others, but that's just me and JeffreyG ).

I didn't pursue it because of my minisplit plan, but IF I were anticipating adding a roof AC to an Escape after delivery I'd have an explicit build-sheet discussion to ensure that all the wires needed (maybe only power in the case of the Houghton units with wireless controls) for that AC at the roof opening are pre-installed, accessible, with enough extra length, and proper gauge for the intended use. I would refer to Houghton, not ETI, for that unit's wiring requirements. IOW, assume nothing, verify everything, specific to your build; maybe ETI installs all you need by 'default', but that's the sort of thing I would explicitly verify and document on my build-sheet.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21C
We are still a ways out on completing our build sheet for a 21c. I have until now thought I would just order the 13.5 ndq. We live near San Antonio and it certainly gets hot down here. Our last trailer was a hybrid and with the 13.5 ac unit on high in the hot summer it just couldn't keep up. I'm sure the lack of tent ends will make a huge difference but will a 9.5k ac keep up?
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
We are still a ways out on completing our build sheet for a 21c. I have until now thought I would just order the 13.5 ndq. We live near San Antonio and it certainly gets hot down here. Our last trailer was a hybrid and with the 13.5 ac unit on high in the hot summer it just couldn't keep up. I'm sure the lack of tent ends will make a huge difference but will a 9.5k ac keep up?
With fiberglass trailers being white, the interior seems less hot than SOB's and having used both the the 13.5 and smaller units, the noise as well as comfort level is easily achieved with the smaller unit.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021
Easy Start 299.00, cut and connect 3 or 4 wires.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote