any extra jacks needed for hitching Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2021, 01:25 AM   #1

Trailer: put down deposit for Escape 19' Delivery date 12-9-2021
any extra jacks needed for hitching Escape

The Escape will be my first RV/trailer. Will

i need any extra jacks or hoists to remove and hitch up trailer other than what is provided by the factory?
dblagsvedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do not mention your tow vehicle, but as long as you can get 19" height at the ball you should be fine....
Old 12-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 E17A
A comment on hitching.
  • At times my coupler can be sensitive to fore/aft alignment and I cannot get it to drop down on the ball. When this happens, I lower the jack putting a little weight on to the top of the ball. I then chock my TV and put it in neutral with parking brake off then go back to the coupler and bump the back of the TV with my shoulder. With little effort it drops into place and I then can lock it. After locking I always raise the jack a little making sure it is truly locked into place.
SFcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post

i need any extra jacks or hoists to remove and hitch up trailer other than what is provided by the factory?
No, but what comes in very handy are a couple of blocks. Something like 2"x8" by 16". I carry 6 different blocks and use them primarily to level the trailer. One set is 1 1/2" thick with a 1/2" bottom layer for a total thickness of 2". Perfect for putting one wheel on leaving the other free to be removed.

But there are occasions when the tow vehicle and the trailer aren't on a level site or one's at an angle and the other isn't that some blocks can come in handy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post

If you have a manual jack, you might want to consider getting a Fastway FLIP Automatic Jack Foot

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
If you have a manual jack, you might want to consider getting a Fastway FLIP Automatic Jack Foot

We have the 6” version of this. Great except for parking on a steep driveway (manual actually says do not use on a grade greater than 3%) or if you land where the trailer tongue is nose down and vehicle is nose up. In the latter case the foot won’t come down without digging out some dirt. We are going to an electric jack but if we weren’t I would probably change to the 4” version. If needed you can keep the jack from folding down with your foot and rest the weight of trailer on the folded leg if you position a board properly to keep the flange on the base clear of the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
DDA9C95B-6E73-428F-AE2F-91CA61A5DBBD.jpg  
Old 12-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We have the 6” version of this. Great except for parking on a steep driveway (manual actually says do not use on a grade greater than 3%) or if you land where the trailer tongue is nose down and vehicle is nose up. In the latter case the foot won’t come down without digging out some dirt. We are going to an electric jack but if we weren’t I would probably change to the 4” version. If needed you can keep the jack from folding down with your foot and rest the weight of trailer on the folded leg if you position a board properly to keep the flange on the base clear of the ground.
I have the high lift kit on my trailer so the 6" version is fine. In over 100 nights camping, I've only had to use the kneeling position once.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I have the high lift kit on my trailer so the 6" version is fine. In over 100 nights camping, I've only had to use the kneeling position once.
Makes perfect sense since you are about 2.5” higher. So the 4” Fastway Flip is probably a better choice for those without the high lift.