Camco Wave Catalytic Heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2024, 10:08 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Camco Wave Catalytic Heater

Is anyone here using a Camco Wave Catalytic Heater in their Escape?

I know catalytic heaters can be a touchy subject, so PM me if you don't want to post here.

We've been using a small portable Martin catalytic heater for the past four years with no problems of humidity buildup or CO. I understand how to vent adequately, but have a second CO detector that's never gone off with the Martin. However, that CO detector has gone off when cooking on the stove or running our Mr Buddy heater with no windows/vent cracked open.

Again I'm looking for someone who is actually using a Wave heater. Mr Buddy now makes a catalytic heater, so I'd be interested in hearing about the Buddy catalytic heater too.

Thanks,

Perry
Old 03-25-2024, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Camco Wave heater

I have an Olympian (now Camco) 3100 in a 20’ Argosy and also a 6 meter Minuet Argosy. Both trailers would have the approx sq footage of an Escape 19 I would think. For ventilation, I have just cracked the window about one inch at the bottom…as I remember something like 19 sq inches is recommended for ventilation. I’ve not had problems with moisture tho Colorado has quite a dry climate.
I have friends from Canada that winter in Az at about 2500’…they use the 8100 model in their 30’ stick built.
So in summmary, I have had good luck and so has my friend. I do recommend the heater covers that one can buy to cover the heater and protect it from dust.
I installed both myself, I tee’d off of the propane line to the refrigerator with a valve on the heater side of the T, as my heaters are on that wall. I had a plumber inspect the work and I paid him for the inspection.
BTW, both of the Argosys are great trailers..from the pre Thor days…but I (and more importantly my wife) like the Escape much better. I just posted both of the trailers for sale on the Airstream website.
Re CO, I have read Oxygen depletion is more of a problem with these than CO. We too, have a CO monitor with no alarms ever.
Attached Thumbnails
DF8D9B89-FB6C-40D0-82C5-7AD207A1DE99.jpg  
J1973s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:05 PM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1973s View Post
I have an Olympian (now Camco) 3100 in a 20’ Argosy and also a 6 meter Minuet Argosy. Both trailers would have the approx sq footage of an Escape 19 I would think. For ventilation, I have just cracked the window about one inch at the bottom…as I remember something like 19 sq inches is recommended for ventilation. I’ve not had problems with moisture tho Colorado has quite a dry climate.
I have friends from Canada that winter in Az at about 2500’…they use the 8100 model in their 30’ stick built.
So in summmary, I have had good luck and so has my friend. I do recommend the heater covers that one can buy to cover the heater and protect it from dust.
I installed both myself, I tee’d off of the propane line to the refrigerator with a valve on the heater side of the T, as my heaters are on that wall. I had a plumber inspect the work and I paid him for the inspection.
BTW, both of the Argosys are great trailers..from the pre Thor days…but I (and more importantly my wife) like the Escape much better. I just posted both of the trailers for sale on the Airstream website.
Re CO, I have read Oxygen depletion is more of a problem with these than CO. We too, have a CO monitor with no alarms ever.
Thanks for your response.

Do you feel your 3100 (called a Wave 3 after Camco purchased the company) can heat your camper at 30 F?

If not, at how low a temperature can it be your main source of heat?

I would prefer a Wave 3 over the Wave 6, since without a thermostat (always on) the Wave 6, at 3,200 btu's on low, would be too much heat on warmer nights. For example, our Buddy heater is too warm to keep on overnight. Our Martin would be perfect at 1,600 btu's, but the 1# bottle is good for 8 hours at best on low, and those bottles are costly.

Also, do you use any fans to get the heat to the opposite end of the trailer?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 03-25-2024, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Nice to know about Mr Buddy now making cats. I didn't know.

I have a way to attach a hose to a tank and run it through the doorway (the weatherstrip has plenty of give) to my Coleman Black Cat (a twin of the Martin, I think). 3000 BTU would be enough on a night that dipped to 30 degrees if the wind were not blowing, but a strong cold wind (especially if it's hitting the side where the fridge and furnace sit, and coming through the cracks & vents) will necessitate occasional furnace use even if I'm running a 1500W space heater (about 5000 BTU).

But with a BF, who knows? Could be totally different.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Camco 3100 heater

I have used the heaters on nights when the temps dipped into the twenties at night and have been comfortable. Days were in the forties tho. The Minuet was my lodging on several fall camping trips in Colorado and Wyoming. I am not sure about the insulation in the trailer tho…is it better than an Escape? If I had to guess..I wouldn’t think so.
I initially decided on the Camcos because I was trying to limit my battery use and the Suburban furnace used a lot. Even tho the Suburaban furnace is still functional, the Wave heater is my preference. The silent heat is nice.
I don’t use any fans…the heater seems to keep everything warm enough, it’s close to the galley, dinette and bed so plenty warm there. If it’s a warmer night…50?…even the Wave 3 is quite warm.
J1973s is offline   Reply With Quote