Lensun solar panel problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
Lensun solar panel problems

I know many people like the Lensun solar panels but I just want to report my negative experience with these panels. About 2 1/2 years ago, I bought 2 100W panels (primarily after reading about Jim Bennet's installation) and attached them to my trailer's roof using VHB tape. I noticed this winter that their output didn't seem very high so I connected my portable Lensun panel to the trailer. I store my trailer on my side yard and I don't have power run to it so I was using the solar to keep the batteries charged.
Last week I finally got time to investigate the roof panels and measured 0V output from both. I measured right at the panels with the cables disconnected so I know there aren't any other things interfering with the measurements. I am now going to remove them both and replace them with a Zamp panel with tilting brackets from AM Solar.
This is not meant to bash Lensun but to give others information to help make an informed decision. I still like my portable panels from Lensun; they are light and compact. I'm just not convinced that flexible panels adhered directly to a surface with no air flow/ heat dissipation is a good thing.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for your update and sorry to hear of your complete output loss.

I think there is a reason that the manufacturers have a very short warranty period for these flex panels.

From what I have researched, I am not satisfied that I could get 15 to 20 years out of a flex panel with out major output loss.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
I know many people like the Lensun solar panels but I just want to report my negative experience with these panels. About 2 1/2 years ago, I bought 2 100W panels (primarily after reading about Jim Bennet's installation) and attached them to my trailer's roof using VHB tape. I noticed this winter that their output didn't seem very high so I connected my portable Lensun panel to the trailer. I store my trailer on my side yard and I don't have power run to it so I was using the solar to keep the batteries charged.
Last week I finally got time to investigate the roof panels and measured 0V output from both. I measured right at the panels with the cables disconnected so I know there aren't any other things interfering with the measurements. I am now going to remove them both and replace them with a Zamp panel with tilting brackets from AM Solar.
This is not meant to bash Lensun but to give others information to help make an informed decision. I still like my portable panels from Lensun; they are light and compact. I'm just not convinced that flexible panels adhered directly to a surface with no air flow/ heat dissipation is a good thing.

Ben
Morning Ben sorry to hear the Lensun panels aren’t working for you . I am in no means a expert but could it be something else like the solar charger , cables etc. ? Just a thought . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:

Ben
For both panels to fail I would think the heat is responsible. While not as hot as AZ you do get heat and sun where you are. The Lensun panels look to be about as good a flex panel as is out there, but even under optimal conditions I would only expect 5-7 years. Most of the folks in AZ that have gone flex panel only got about 1-2 years.
My glass panels on my house are warrantied for 25 years, but they are visible. I guess you have to evaluate the trade-offs for each system.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
My Lensun woes

I bought a 100 watt portable Lensun this winter. I set it up into my rig with a charge controller. All was OK. Later, when disassembling the set-up, I noticed blisters on one of the panels.....bubbled film. Contacted Lensun and they sent another panel and said .01% or some such number of panels have this issue. It must be a short in a localized area. New panel works OK, blistered panel retested. More blisters developed, and temp with an IR thermometer was over 200F at blister, much cooler on good area.

Not a lot of confidence in these panels, and we'll see how they last.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

Ben
Have you contacted Lensun about the warranty?

https://www.lensunsolar.com/Warranty-Policy
1. Semi-flexible is covered by a 24 months workmanship warranty provided by LENSUN. We repair or replace defective items at our own discretion. In addition, solar cells are guaranteed to operate at 90% of nominal power output at 10 years after purchase and at 80% of nominal power at 25 years after purchase.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I bought a 100 watt portable Lensun this winter. I set it up into my rig with a charge controller. All was OK. Later, when disassembling the set-up, I noticed blisters on one of the panels.....bubbled film. Contacted Lensun and they sent another panel and said .01% or some such number of panels have this issue. It must be a short in a localized area. New panel works OK, blistered panel retested. More blisters developed, and temp with an IR thermometer was over 200F at blister, much cooler on good area.

Not a lot of confidence in these panels, and we'll see how they last.
Looks like a portable panel you have there . The surface isn’t the same as the fiberglass backed semi flexible panels .Pat
Old 05-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yes, I know, it is not the same as OP, but same company.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

I, too, assume the failures are due to heat destroying the panels. Everything you read says that heat is the enemy of solar panels. I was hoping that it wouldn't be this bad with panels made to sit flush with the mounting surface.
My roof panels look ok; no blistering or external damage as being struck by a branch.
Yes, I contacted Lensun a few days ago but have not heard back.
Not that it matters but my roof panels are aluminum backed.
I removed one panel today; it was easier to do than I had thought it would be. I still have tape to remove but at least it will be easy to get to. As a side note, some of the tape had failed, it lifted easily off the roof. This was in an area that was wet underneath. As I read about installing the AM Solar brackets, they say that the VHB tape will degrade when wet. I didn't know that when I installed the Lensun panels but that does seem to be an accurate statement.

Ben
Old 05-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
I, too, assume the failures are due to heat destroying the panels. Everything you read says that heat is the enemy of solar panels. I was hoping that it wouldn't be this bad with panels made to sit flush with the mounting surface.
My roof panels look ok; no blistering or external damage as being struck by a branch.
Yes, I contacted Lensun a few days ago but have not heard back.
Not that it matters but my roof panels are aluminum backed.
I removed one panel today; it was easier to do than I had thought it would be. I still have tape to remove but at least it will be easy to get to. As a side note, some of the tape had failed, it lifted easily off the roof. This was in an area that was wet underneath. As I read about installing the AM Solar brackets, they say that the VHB tape will degrade when wet. I didn't know that when I installed the Lensun panels but that does seem to be an accurate statement.

Ben
Ben I used etherbond tape ,it is used to seal roofs etc . Nothing has degraded . Forgot the spelling for tape . Just used acetone to clean roof ,before to attach tape to roof . Pat
Old 05-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ben I used etherbond tape ,it is used to seal roofs etc . Nothing has degraded . Forgot the spelling for tape . Just used acetone to clean roof ,before to attach tape to roof . Pat
I used Eternabond tape as well and it shows no signs of letting go. I also used heat transfer tape under the panels and that has reduced the surface temp of the panels due to the heat transfer to the trailer roof.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
After attempting to remove Eternabond to replace a roof vent on my old trailer I think the last thing anyone has to worry about is it letting go as long as the surface is preped right.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Smile

Quote:
As a side note, some of the tape had failed, it lifted easily off the roof. This was in an area that was wet underneath. As I read about installing the AM Solar brackets, they say that the VHB tape will degrade when wet. I didn't know that when I installed the Lensun panels but that does seem to be an accurate statement.

Ben
3M VHB tape is used to install the exterior panels on trailers, panel trucks. and skyscrapers. I have seen it used to install stall fences on the wings of aircraft. It is often used as a good fastening method to avoid drilling holes for mechanical fasteners. The engineering and test data on 3M's website shows the conditions that it has been tested under and it is pretty extreme. Note that there are a lot of VHB types and can vary in application depending on surface types, strength requirements etc.

The biggest cause of failure is problems with surface preparation. If the surface has not been prepared properly it can leak or even fail, even if it is just in one area. Is it possible that the wet area under your panel is a result of the tape coming loose and not the other way around?

By the way, I installed three 80W Lensun Panels on my E19 today with VHB. I guess I am counting on it.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I used Eternabond tape as well and it shows no signs of letting go. I also used heat transfer tape under the panels and that has reduced the surface temp of the panels due to the heat transfer to the trailer roof.
Hi Tom ! Thankyou for the correct spelling of the Eternabond tape ! Pat
Old 05-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I also used heat transfer tape under the panels and that has reduced the surface temp of the panels due to the heat transfer to the trailer roof.
I'm not sure that the trailer's roof is going to act as a very good heat sink. Fiberglass is an insulator and won't conduct much of the heat away from the panels. That is one reason that I went with the aluminum backed panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
Is it possible that the wet area under your panel is a result of the tape coming loose and not the other way around?
The second panel's tape was fine and installed in the same way and pattern as the other (the tape did not cover the whole perimeter so there were gaps for water to get under the panels). After looking at the tape of both panels, I assume there was a problem with the way I preped the trailer's surface because most of the tape was in good shape. Also, I used 7 1/2', 1" wide of 3M 5952 tape per panel.

Ben
Old 05-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi Tom ! Thankyou for the correct spelling of the Eternabond tape ! Pat
We used 2 in wide Eternabond tape . Pat
Old 05-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 - 19
My Lensun panels arrive tomorrow according to tracking. I will post Pics of the install when i complete it. With the 3 80W panels I hope that i wont have to pull out the “portables”.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
We used 2 in wide Eternabond tape . Pat
I followed yours and others lead and used the Eternabond also. A little spendy but after the first trip to Baja sun etc. I was happy to see the tape is in pristine condition.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #19

Quote:
I'm not sure that the trailer's roof is going to act as a very good heat sink. Fiberglass is an insulator and won't conduct much of the heat away from the panels. That is one reason that I went with the aluminum backed panels.
Ben
Very true that a fiberglass trailer roof is a poor conductor of heat but adding mass to the fiberglass backed solar panels to spread the heat helps. I've measured the temps of the panels just laying on the roof and then measured them again after attaching them with heat sink tape. The panel temps are definitely lower with the heat sink tape attached.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I followed yours and others lead and used the Eternabond also. A little spendy but after the first trip to Baja sun etc. I was happy to see the tape is in pristine condition.

Ron
What ‘s the saying ... You get what you pay for . Most of the time it is true ! How you doing Ron ? So glad we all were able to get together before we knew what was coming ! Pat