Lensun solar panel problems - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I also used the Eternabond tape with Lensun semi-flexible panels and have no issues in the 2+ yrs they have been on my trailer. Of course I do not frequent the scorchingly hot places that some of you folks hang out, so heat damage is not an issue for me.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I liked sealing the entire perimeter, seems to have worked perfectly and, yes, you usually get what you pay for. (if you're lucky)

Hope that's not true for my el cheapo flexible panels though. Time will tell. One is permanently mounted on the roof and one is on my tilting swiveling mount as a portable panel. So we'll see if the one exposed 24/7 has any issues sooner than the one only occasionally exposed to the elements.

Doing OK here. Being as though we're usually frequent travelers there's been lot's of differed maintenance to catch up on the house. Chomping at the bit though to get up to the interior of BC.

Yes, who knows what the situation will be by next Feb. when we'd normally be heading for Q'site and Baja. We can only hope that things are back to some sort of semblance of normal by then.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
I'm not sure that the trailer's roof is going to act as a very good heat sink. Fiberglass is an insulator and won't conduct much of the heat away from the panels. That is one reason that I went with the aluminum backed panels.

The second panel's tape was fine and installed in the same way and pattern as the other (the tape did not cover the whole perimeter so there were gaps for water to get under the panels). After looking at the tape of both panels, I assume there was a problem with the way I preped the trailer's surface because most of the tape was in good shape. Also, I used 7 1/2', 1" wide of 3M 5952 tape per panel.

Ben

AM soar uses 3M 4950 tape, that might make a difference. They also use something to cover it with so it is not exposed to the weather like sikaflex-221 or one other product that I cant remember at the moment.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used 3"x4" pads of 4950 and covered everything with Dicor.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Eternabond
Sikaflex
3M
VHB
Butyl Tape
Thermal Tape
Dicor lap sealant
Proflex

AAAAAAAAAA. I installing mine tomorrow and i have most of the above ready to go! The panels will probably self combust and ill just rock myself to sleep in a corner
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My panels have been installed for 3 years now with Eternabond tape and everything is still in great shape. I do plan to do a really good inspection this spring when I find some time. I did get a bit of a view when cleaning snow off this past winter to allow the batteries to stay fully charged. I went with the manufacturer's suggestion of using the fibreglass backed units though had fully planned to anyway.

If I was to do panels again, I would most definitely go with this same setup. I love the look as you can't see them, and the performance of the four 60W panels mostly serves my power needs. Only on a few dark and rainy days have I not reached a full charge which usually happens by noonish time.

Folks now seem to worry way too much about a full charge every day. Heck, I used to go 3 nights all the time before solar, and in near freezing temps that saw the furnace fan running a fair bit. Not that it is bad to keep the charge up, but to go an extra day to get there under poor conditions is not so terrible either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I used 3"x4" pads of 4950 and covered everything with Dicor.
Yes, Dicor was the other product that |I could not remember at that time.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:11 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'm bumping this thread with a question. I'm considering putting a Lensun flexible panel on the roof of my tow vehicle's fiberglass truck cap, secured with Eternabond tape. Do you think it will make it through a carwash?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm bumping this thread with a question. I'm considering putting a Lensun flexible panel on the roof of my tow vehicle's fiberglass truck cap, secured with Eternabond tape. Do you think it will make it through a carwash?
Hi Mike our 3 Lensun flexible panels on our 19 are now 6 years old and I installed them with Eternabond tape , no holes in our roof . I can check how they are doing sitting in the house with our Victron equipment .When I wash the trailer and take a look up on the roof , the tape is still holding and everything just as I originally installed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
And I used VHB tape to attach my three Lensun 80W panels to corrugated plastic panels and VHB to affix the combos to our E19 roof in July 2020. I also used short segments of Eternabond on the perimeter of the panels to further ensure they stay put. I used short segments of Eternabond in order to allow airflow through the corrugated plastic beneath the Lensun panels. Still working great. I obviously don’t take the trailer through any automated car washes, but I do use the self service wash bays and have sprayed them directly. Of course, with my multiple adhesive methods, no problems with separation.
Attached Thumbnails
98E5502F-7CA3-4E58-B319-955279F25BD7.jpg  
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Mike our 3 Lensun flexible panels on our 19 are now 6 years old and I installed them with Eternabond tape , no holes in our roof . I can check how they are doing sitting in the house with our Victron equipment .When I wash the trailer and take a look up on the roof , the tape is still holding and everything just as I originally installed . Pat
Yes, hi Mike and hi Pat, long time no see.

Every time that I wash my roof I'm impressed with the way that the Eternabond has stood up. Zero issues and it doesn't look like it will have any anytime soon.

Actually just pulled into Q'site and I'm remembering the good times that we had here.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
And I used VHB tape to attach my three Lensun 80W panels to corrugated plastic panels and VHB to affix the combos to our E19 roof in July 2020. I also used short segments of Eternabond on the perimeter of the panels to further ensure they stay put. I used short segments of Eternabond in order to allow airflow through the corrugated plastic beneath the Lensun panels. Still working great. I obviously don’t take the trailer through any automated car washes, but I do use the self service wash bays and have sprayed them directly. Of course, with my multiple adhesive methods, no problems with separation.
I'm curious, what is the purpose to the corrugated plastic panels? I don't recall seeing folks using this in the past with the flexible panels. Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:08 AM   #33

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
I'm curious, what is the purpose to the corrugated plastic panels? I don't recall seeing folks using this in the past with the flexible panels. Thank!
The corrugated plastic helps dissipate heat. Heat is the #1 killer of flexible panels glued directly to the roof.

Last summer was not good on flexible panels with the >110 degree heat in Airzona. A friend of mine in Tucson covers the flexible panel on his NuCamp with a white flexible cover when not using his trailer. Others velcro a white correlated plastic over their panel when not in use.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-22-2024, 10:27 AM   #34

Yes, exactly what Perry said. Prior to my installation, I watched a YouTube of an Australian manufacturer of semi-flexible panels. They recommended the corrugated plastic barrier for heat dissipation. Their method of attachment was solely VHB tape, but I worry too much, so I added short segments of Eternabond, while allowing ~50% of the corrugated plastic edges exposed.

I also watched additional videos that demonstrated how to remove VHB and Eternabond tape. It can be done if needed, but I could also just affix new panels directly on top of old panels, should any fail.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:35 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
My question is? Is there any science to support the use of the corrugated plastic? It seems that it is generally accepted that fastening the panel directly to the roof decreases the effectiveness of the panel. I like the idea, particularly when you can use the refrigerator roof vent as a raceway for the cable.

Does the corrugated plastic conform to the roof or are you limited to flat surfaces?

Edit: Cross post, some has been answered.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My question is? Is there any science to support the use of the corrugated plastic? It seems that it is generally accepted that fastening the panel directly to the roof decreases the effectiveness of the panel. I like the idea, particularly when you can use the refrigerator roof vent as a raceway for the cable.

Does the corrugated plastic conform to the roof or are you limited to flat surfaces.

Edit: Cross post, some has been answered.
I didn’t delve into the science very deeply at all. I had just seen a few mentions of semi-flexible panel failures that were suspected to have been heat caused. I also felt that if a manufacturer of semi-flexible solar panels recommended the corrugated plastic panel barrier/sandwich, must be a reasonably good idea. Cost was minimal and it added very little difficulty to the job.

The corrugated plastic panels that I used had about as much flexibility as the Lensun panels, so anywhere the solar panels can be mounted works when using the corrugated plastic panel as well. I mounted mine on the wide central “spine” of our E19 where most others have also mounted their semi-flexible panels.

Here is a link to my questions and installation:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ons-17711.html
Old 03-22-2024, 04:34 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My Lensun panels have been adhered directly to the trailer roof for 7 years now and have handled Mexican sun and Alberta golf ball sized hails without anything underneath. Not only does the panel soak up the sun, it also blocks the heat quite well. I have put my hand on a panel at near 30°C temps and while it was semi-hot I could easily keep my hand on it.

If I was doing it again I would still go directly to the shell. Works for me.

I used Eternabond and it is still holding well. My brother used VHB tape and though for less time than mine, it too is holding good. On a vehicle roof I would be willing to use either with no worries.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:47 PM   #38

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My Lensun panels have been adhered directly to the trailer roof for 7 years now and have handled Mexican sun and Alberta golf ball sized hails without anything underneath. Not only does the panel soak up the sun, it also blocks the heat quite well. I have put my hand on a panel at near 30°C temps and while it was semi-hot I could easily keep my hand on it. .
You need to remember you live in Calgary where the temps are much colder than in Phoenix or Tucson. The little bit you're down south in Mexico during the winter pales in comparison compared to my friends campers that sit in Phoenix and Tucson all year. The damage can be cumulative over time for their campers.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-23-2024, 08:07 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
You need to remember you live in Calgary where the temps are much colder than in Phoenix or Tucson. The little bit you're down south in Mexico during the winter pales in comparison compared to my friends campers that sit in Phoenix and Tucson all year. The damage can be cumulative over time for their campers.
Very true. Not bashing the flexible panels but my research has lead me away from investing in them for a long term solution. Obviously they are working well for some but AM Solar has a good article here that has information that should be considered by anyone contemplating a permanent install…
https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-news/fr...to-their-roof/
Old 03-23-2024, 02:51 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
I had a Lensun fly off on a hot desert highway. It was attached to the front of the trailer (rear one stayed) and only attached with Eternabond. When I replaced it, I used VHB first and then edged with Eternabond - and a lot of it on the leading edge. Added more Eternabond to the leading edge on the rear panel as well, which remains without any VHB.

You can dig up my thread if you want more detail; should be easy to find.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote