Ceramic Heat Emitter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2023, 12:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ceramic Heat Emitter

Catchy title eh? Better known as a reptile heater.

For 40 years or so I've used light bulbs to provide a small amount of heat in boats, trailers and assorted other areas. I don't like leaving things like heater fans running unsupervised for weeks at a time. I usually use 2 units, 3 for prolonged sub-zero temperatures.

The light bulb was always in a duct with an opening on the bottom. It made a nice convection current and moving air is a good thing. Even in the rain forest where I live there's never been a problem leaving the bedding and cushions in place.

The only negative is that light bulbs don't last the whole season, aside from that, they've done the job. But I just found out about these reptile heaters. Heating element enclosed in ceramic and available in 100W and 150W sizes.

I've always put the light bulbs in ceramic bases because the plastic ones yellow and don't appear to handle continuous heat well. The ceramic heaters do specify that ceramic bases be used.

So, measuring flue temperatures at the top of the duct. 75W light bulb, 69*F; 100W ceramic heater, 143*. So more energy going to heat than unneeded light.

So, as long as the ceramic heaters last the season it looks like they're a winner and worth having.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0021_resize.jpg   IMGP0025_resize.jpg   IMGP0026_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Those ceramic heat elements last a long time.

And, now you can keep snakes in your trailer too!

I’ve often considered making a heater for our trailer with one of these ceramic heating elements. We use a small 300w heater in our trailer when we camp during the colder months, as it’s quieter and a steady heat, rather an on/off like the propane furnace or Coleman a/c heater.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Those ceramic heat elements last a long time.

And, now you can keep snakes in your trailer too!

I’ve often considered making a heater for our trailer with one of these ceramic heating elements. We use a small 300w heater in our trailer when we camp during the colder months, as it’s quieter and a steady heat, rather an on/off like the propane furnace or Coleman a/c heater.
[I tried to use the multi-quote function to reply to the OP and 1st reply poster, but nothing happened.]

You've both hit on a subject very similar to what I'm doing. [No, not keeping snakes in the trailer!] We bought a 300w heater from Amazon.com two years ago to use in our tent because my wife needs to stay warm at night. It didn't work so well in our tent, but we used it a couple weeks ago in our 21C, and it did a decent job of heating the inside of the trailer. Granted, night time temps never dipped below 40 degrees F, so I don't know if it would prove adequate if outside temps were in the 20s.

The heater is on or off - no thermostat or automatic switch. It's on non-stop until you click the switch in back.

The other point of interest is the ceramic heaters. I have seen them on Amazon and another site, and thought they might work well, but I have no experience with them. I imagine they're safer than the 300w heater we have. Could I persuade you to post a review after a month?

I bought a 7w gun safe dehumidifier rod to place under the seating area to keep the lithium batteries from getting too cold, but I'm not sure how effective it will be because the space under the sitting area is not exactly what I'd call 'sealed'. Our trailer is not plugged in to shore power, so I must relay on the solar panels maintaining enough charge through the cloudy winter months.

Good info. Thank you!
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0
Hi Rick, I do remember when I came down to see your trailer you had that little heater going and it was pretty toasty and really quiet,, can you tell me which heater you have so I could check into it? Thanks in advance Gary.
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Hi Rick, I do remember when I came down to see your trailer you had that little heater going and it was pretty toasty and really quiet,, can you tell me which heater you have so I could check into it? Thanks in advance Gary.
Hi Gary, and all the others viewing this thread.

This is the small heater we use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
I tried to use the multi-quote function to reply to the OP and 1st reply poster, but nothing happened.
To use multi-quote, tap multi-quote after the first, second, third, etc. and then only quote when you get to the last post you want to quote. If you keep tapping multi-quote the system will “think” you are still adding to the list of quotes. And nothing will show in the quick response box until you select (by tapping quote rather than multi-quote) the last post to be included in your reply.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Hi Gary, and all the others viewing this thread.

This is the small heater we use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks Rick that was a nice little heater. I think I’ll check it out. I remember it was very quiet to the one I have not so much. Thanks again Gary.
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I like it, Ron. Seems a very wise, cheap, practical winter storage solution. Just ordered one
Old 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
I just found out about these reptile heaters. Heating element enclosed in ceramic and available in 100W and 150W sizes.
Hi Ron - I can't find the 150W sizes on Amazon or it seems elsewhere in the US. Do you have a link for one of that size I can check on? Otherwise I think I might try one or two 100W.

In either case, does it make sense to mount a ceramic bulb base to a small piece of plywood and then enclose it in a 12 to 18 inch aluminum tube with holes in the bottom to create some convection?
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #10

I checked mine after 2 weeks before leaving them on while I'm away on a trip.

I've used light bulbs for many years but to feel the heat my hand had to be over the flue. Opened the door and could immediately tell that the "heat" was on. Guess the inefficiency of a light bulb does make a difference.

You could poke some holes in a tube, but it should be mounted on a piece of plywood anyway and it's easier to use small "L" brackets to hold the tube about an inch off the base to create an air intake for the convection current. Post #1.

I bought a pack of two 100W and one 150W from Amazon. The 150W was in the same listings but came with a separate thermometer.

My conclusion is that two 100Ws are the way to go. They distribute the heat over a wider area. I have one by the end of the dinette table and one by the open bathroom door. Works for me.

Ron
Old 11-15-2023, 05:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I checked mine after 2 weeks before leaving them on while I'm away on a trip.

I've used light bulbs for many years but to feel the heat my hand had to be over the flue. Opened the door and could immediately tell that the "heat" was on. Guess the inefficiency of a light bulb does make a difference.

You could poke some holes in a tube, but it should be mounted on a piece of plywood anyway and it's easier to use small "L" brackets to hold the tube about an inch off the base to create an air intake for the convection current. Post #1.

I bought a pack of two 100W and one 150W from Amazon. The 150W was in the same listings but came with a separate thermometer.

My conclusion is that two 100Ws are the way to go. They distribute the heat over a wider area. I have one by the end of the dinette table and one by the open bathroom door. Works for me.

Ron
Just so you know, the typical efficiency of an incandescent lamp is 3%, ie 97% is given off as heat, so you don't lose all that much using a lamp. That said, I like the ceramic heater...
Old 11-15-2023, 09:18 PM   #12

Thanks Jon, yes, I was aware of the lack of efficiency but light bulbs fit the bill and I've used them for decades. I've never liked leaving a heater with fan running unattended for extended lengths of time. I do have a ceramic tungsten element heater. But the thought of leaving it unattended with the bare tungsten element glowing brightly

Anyway I'm now far, far away from my trailer but I'm sure that it's just fine with a tinge of warmth inside and maybe a touch of snow on top.

Ron
Old 11-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I just got mine from Amazon, in white.
Attached Thumbnails
space-heatr.jpg  
Old 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM   #14

Great but try putting a flue on it. It does increase the convection current and moving air is a good thing.

It's easy to make a really quick and simple one using a tomato juice can. For improved performance use two cans end-to-end.

Ron
Old 11-16-2023, 08:36 PM   #15

I wanna build one now! It would be nice to have a source of heat that has no glowing filaments or fan.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:48 PM   #16

Well, after 3 weeks away, during which overnight temperatures were touching freezing, I opened up the trailer and was happy with the results. It was 8* warmer than the outside temperature and both emitters were functioning.

I'm thinking that I'll disconnect one and monitor the results. Although 2 make 2 convection currents which is the name of the game, I don't really need to heat the interior.

So, definitely much more efficient than a light bulb and likely more reliable in the long term.

Ron
Old 02-25-2024, 11:53 AM   #17

Final update

I removed the units prior to preparing the trailer for a road trip.

I'm very happy with the results. Unlike light bulbs they didn't burn out. Bedding etc. remained in the trailer and the interior was dry and problem free. Weather during this time reached record lows with lot's of rain.

As I said at the beginning, I don't like leaving electric heaters running for long periods of time unattended. These units just sit there and put out heat. Despite the poor efficiency of light bulbs these emitters seem to put out more heat. Very subjective but putting my hand over the flue with an emitter it seems to be noticeably warmer than one with a light bulb.

So, all in all, I'd say they do a decent job.

Ron
Old 02-25-2024, 12:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
A note of thanks for this thread, Ron.

I forwarded the link to my brother when he was batting around ideas for freeze-protecting the outdoor 'pump house' of his DIY rural home potable rainwater collection system. He decided to go with a variation of your ceramic heat emitter and is very pleased with the outcome.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
A note of thanks for this thread, Ron.

I forwarded the link to my brother when he was batting around ideas for freeze-protecting the outdoor 'pump house' of his DIY rural home potable rainwater collection system. He decided to go with a variation of your ceramic heat emitter and is very pleased with the outcome.

I am thinking of using a couple of these to warm my seedling starter box (aka: old fish tank) in the basement. Warmth without light to confuse the day/night cycle.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote