Convection Oven Suggestions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2024, 11:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Convection Oven Suggestions

Hello,

The Dometic microwave that came with our 2014 21C has died, not something we use a lot but still want to replace it. When the microwave in our Casita died we bought a convection oven but that was about 8 years ago so was hoping other Escape owners have some experience and suggestions for a replacement.
Big Thanks in advance.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use my microwave a lot and would be upset if it quit working, however a convention oven may work well. I'm going to follow this thread.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We have a gen 2 19, so I don’t know what fits for you, but we have the standard factory convection / micro, and it works fine although we don’t use the oven much.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0682.jpg  
Old 01-02-2024, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Hello,

The Dometic microwave that came with our 2014 21C has died, not something we use a lot but still want to replace it. When the microwave in our Casita died we bought a convection oven but that was about 8 years ago so was hoping other Escape owners have some experience and suggestions for a replacement.
Big Thanks in advance.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
We had a Dometic microwave/convection in our previous camper. In the 6 years of ownership, we never used the convection feature but did use the microwave a lot. That said, we have the cooktop/oven combo in our 5.0 and use the oven almost every time we camp. Go figure.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We had the Contour in our 21C. Worked great. We have one coming in our new E23
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
if your replacing with a convection be aware of heat dissipation, the stock location for microwave may not be adequate.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
if your replacing with a convection be aware of heat dissipation, the stock location for microwave may not be adequate.
That's my understanding as well. When I configured my trailer last year, I know the Contour convention oven option supplied by ETI could not be fitted in the standard microwave cabinet location (above the pantry in a 21C/5.0 or above the fridge in a 17/19/21NE). It could only be located under the sink/cooktop area...at the expense of a considerable amount of lower cabinet space.

At the time, I did not have luck sourcing any other microwave ovens with the convection feature that would fit in the standard cabinet location. It's been over a year since I last looked though.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
I don’t have advice on convection ovens, but have you thought about or ever used an air fryer? I have one and use everyday and sometimes multiple times a day. They also have the advantage of being portable so you can stow them out of the way when not in use. An air fryer is basically a convection oven on steroids so I glean have crispy root vegetables in about 20 minutes. Just a thought in case you want to research them first.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Hello,

Big Thanks in advance.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
I had my 2020 Escape 19 built Convection Microwave Ready. I installed the RecPro (High Pointe) RV Convection Microwave Stainless Steel 1.1 cu. ft. | 120V.

However a Convection Microwave Oven is much larger than the stock plain microwave, and it will not fit into the same space, and the cupboards would need to be modified to make it fit.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We have the Contoure Convection Microwave oven in our 2021 21NE. I love it. Bakes and microwaves well. It also has air fryer function. It is under the counter and we haven't had any issues with heat dissipation.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Waiting on a 21 NE
I'm working on my build sheet for a 21NE. I thinking of not getting the gas stove and instead getting a 3-in-1 microwave, convection, air fryer to put in the same location as the oven.

The microwave-convection option from ETI seems pretty pricy. Amazon has a highly rated 3in1 for $499.95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZS7VSM...lig_dp_it&th=1.

Any thoughts?
pln2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pln2105 View Post
... thinking of not getting the gas stove and instead getting a 3-in-1 microwave, convection, air fryer to put in the same location as the oven.....

.... Amazon has a highly rated 3in1 for $499.95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZS7VSM...lig_dp_it&th=1.

Any thoughts?
Noting this is your first post, Welcome to the forum!

You might want to study the manufacturer's Instruction Manual for that unit (available for download on the Breville webpage here), paying particular attention to the info on page 15 (bold emphasis added by me):

INSTALLATION AND TURNING ON THE MICROWAVE OVEN
• Select a level surface that provides enough open space for the intake and/or outlet vents.
A minimum clearance of 8 inches (20cm) is required between the microwave and any adjacent walls.
Leave a minimum clearance 8 inches (20cm) above the microwave.
• Do not remove the legs from the bottom of the microwave.
• Blocking the intake and/or outlet openings can damage the microwave.
• Place the microwave as far away from radios and TV as possible.
• Operation of microwave may cause interference to your radio or TV reception.
• Plug your microwave into a standard household outlet. Be sure the voltage and the frequency is the same as the voltage and the frequency on the rating label.
The microwave must not be placed in a cabinet.

IME it's always a good idea to research manufacturer literature for items listed on Amazon (Amazon descriptions are too often incorrect or lacking important information).

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 01-07-2024, 10:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I'm working on my build sheet for a 21NE. I thinking of not getting the gas stove and instead getting a 3-in-1 microwave, convection, air fryer to put in the same location as the oven.

The microwave-convection option from ETI seems pretty pricy. Amazon has a highly rated 3in1 for $499.95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZS7VSM...lig_dp_it&th=1.

Any thoughts?
Escape's option includes modification to the cupboards to accommodate the convection microwave oven, which is much larger than the standard microwave. You can pay to have Escape make the trailer convection microwave ready, but, that plus a convection microwave makes it not really worth the hassle of not having them do everything, in my opinion.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 12:05 PM   #14

We had Escape install. It is worth it to us because it came ready to go, which is what we wanted. We also did not get the Cooktop, opting for additional counter prep space. We have a Eureka butane single burner stove, a portable Induction Cooktop and a Blackstone griddle. So, lots of options for cooking.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
We opted for the convection / microwave in our build.

The inside of the propane oven is smaller then the convection the height on the propane is approx 4 1/2” tall and narrower. The convection 8s much larger, which we wanted.

The advantage is the propane oven works on propane better for boon-docking.

You can buy the oven for less then Escape , but Escape’s price includes building the cabinet and wiring the trailer. In the end the price is competitive.

We like the convection over, it works well. But is only able to use when we have hook ups.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #16

We can use our Convection oven on the inverter, as well as with hookups and our generator. We travel full time, so there are lots of times I want to bake, cakes, cookies, casseroles, bread, etc.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Thanks for al the replies. I did not even consider the difference in how a convection/microwave would put off heat so glad I asked the question. We have an air fryer and love it so I guess I will just get a microwave.

That being said anyone have a suggestion for that?

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I have the added cabinet over the drawer stack in my 2017 21 and Escape provided shelves in both cabinets (2 added shelves each), I am willing to give up a shelf for a large toaster oven / air frier. I currently have a Power XL Air Frier Grill Plus that just fits (1/4" to spare) in the middle shelf of the main cabinet.

I rarely use it in the trailer, and if then, on top of the wood stove cover (I have an oven & replaced the metal cover with a Camco 17" X 19" wood cover). Since it draws 1500 watts, I still usually use my gas oven in the trailer for baking, but when I have hookups, and particularly when I'm in a place long enough to set up the Clam, it makes a great outdoor oven/toaster/air frier, and saves heating up the trailer with the gas oven.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:48 PM   #19

Trailer: Waiting on a 21 NE
Thanks for the info. Are you aware of any 3-in-1 unit that does work within a cabinet?
pln2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Are you aware of any 3-in-1 unit that does work within a cabinet?
No. They all get too hot somewhere (sides or top or back) to use in a cabinet unless you have the required clearance, usually 6" or more.