Drawers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19 F1
Drawers

I opted for 2 drawers under the closet. I noticed the drawers were only 18 inches from front to back, but there was space for 24 inches. Also, there was 3/4 clearance under each drawer.

So I made new drawers that were 1/2 inch deeper and a full 24 inches from front to back.

I bought 24 in drawer slides but decided to just use the 18 inch slides already in place rather than attempt to install the new slides.

You can see the size difference between factory and my new drawer box. And the installed new drawer which is no longer full extension which I’ll fix if it bugs me too much.
Attached Thumbnails
7369A4FB-0D7F-44D6-80DA-00ECD0F2EA38a.jpg   2586F75D-EA6C-4F16-AE37-FD00C6E8FA25a.jpg  
Dave Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:06 PM   #2

I made a drawer for under the bed. 30 inches front to back and full width less 1.5 inches for the full extension heavy duty drawer slides. Used 3/4 inch maple plywood and biscuits for the carcass.

I had to drill a hole on the right side to be able to activate the release lever on the slide to remove the drawer. I couldn’t fit my hand down the outside of the drawer.

I installed poplar stub walls to support the slides under the bed.

I made a drawer front to replace the doors. It’s 1/2 narrower which was necessary to clear the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
A4C3AE17-275A-41EA-92A8-D5071892E667.jpg   F0BC6A7A-C3F6-44AE-8950-BFDF4519AA97.jpg   E631FE97-7FE6-41F7-A53B-6736E202D976.jpg   CAA6920A-80EF-4ADF-B622-6D1B8518C485.jpg  
Old 11-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Nicely done.

Yes, there's lot's of unused space in some areas. Guess ETI hasn't got lot's of feedback from owners wanting more drawer space so they just do it the easy way. And some folks post that they have all the space they need and don't need extra storage drawers etc.

Lot's of different needs and wants. My want is to have as much usable drawer space etc. as is feasible.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Nicely done.

Yes, there's lot's of unused space in some areas. Guess ETI hasn't got lot's of feedback from owners wanting more drawer space so they just do it the easy way. And some folks post that they have all the space they need and don't need extra storage drawers etc.

Lot's of different needs and wants. My want is to have as much usable drawer space etc. as is feasible.

Ron
I love drawer space. Easiest access. I checked my kitchen side drawers. No room to make them longer, but I can add 1/2 inch depth to the bottom drawer and 3/4 to the top. Debating if it’s worth the plywood.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
Nice looking under-bed drawer. Much easier to move, and more space efficient, than the quick and dirty sled I made (with 3 Rubbermaid bins attached to it). Two things I'm wondering: first, how did you manage to get such a good cosmetic match on the front? And second, is there much chance of the drawer sliding outward in a hard vehicle stop?
Old 11-03-2023, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Nice looking under-bed drawer. Much easier to move, and more space efficient, than the quick and dirty sled I made (with 3 Rubbermaid bins attached to it). Two things I'm wondering: first, how did you manage to get such a good cosmetic match on the front? And second, is there much chance of the drawer sliding outward in a hard vehicle stop?
I bought a set of shaker router bits, used maple for the styles and rails and maple ply for the panel. Water based poly finish.

I bought Chinese bits on Amazon for $25. Next time I’ll spend the $100 for Freud or whiteside.

The drawer guides have a fairly soft catch. I may add one or both of the door catches. Another option is a hard catch that prevents the drawer from opening more than a few inches - kind of like a child lock.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
FWIW, I too fabricated drawers for our 15A project re-build. For the stock drawers, I swapped the wimpy drawer slides that came with it for special Knape-Vogt RV drawer slides that have increased spring tension to keep them closed. After 20 or 30k rough & tumble miles...they stay closed.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2023 E19
Thank-you for posting this.

It never occurred to me that the drawer depth under the closet could be easily extended. This would be very handy....will have to add this mod to the list.

I believe that ETI has a 3rd party cabinet shop produce all the interior doors and drawers. They are probably tooled up to manufacturer only one drawer depth (that fits under the kitchen counter) for the sake of simplicity and cost.

I also want to explore the space directly below the furnace (where the propane detector mounts). It sure looks like that area could be utilized for additional storage.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

I also want to explore the space directly below the furnace (where the propane detector mounts). It sure looks like that area could be utilized for additional storage.
There certainly is in Gen 1s.

The propane detector is easy to relocate.

I opened it up for additional space. I bought a matching door from ETI and it came with matching hinges and handle.

I made a false floor to avoid having to move anything.

It also gives access behind the adjacent cabinet. Good for rarely used or spares.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-11-2014 3-39-14 PM8_resize.jpg   23-11-2014 3-49-27 PM5_resize.JPG   IMGP0047_resize.JPG   27-11-2014 4-07-22 PM9_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Here’s the link to my 2021 E19 under furnace access:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post438084

This starts on page 7 post 132 of the thread.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:

I opened it up for additional space. I bought a matching door from ETI and it came with matching hinges and handle.

It also gives access behind the adjacent cabinet. Good for rarely used or spares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Here’s the link to my 2021 E19 under furnace access:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post438084

This starts on page 7 post 132 of the thread.
Thanks for the info. I thought that someone might have attempted this prior.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:

Ron
Beautiful work. Looks original. I need to open that space as well as space above my compressor fridge. But I'm a bit hesitant to start cutting into the walls!

I'll be making a future post about my electrical upgrades - but I still haven't cut into a wall for the shunt display or the inverter remote switch. So I have to lift the driver side bench to access them for now.

I did drill the fiberglass to install a Zamp port for portable solar so I'm not a complete wuss.