External Shower Leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
External Shower Leak

Hi Everyone,

We are getting ramped up about our first camping trip. We will be hanging out with Jim and Noelia Norman at French Creek Campground next week for a few days.

In the meantime, while de-winterizing the trailer I discovered I have a leak in the driver’s side external shower compartment . Water dribbles out from under the hot faucet wheel handle when either the hot or cold-water wheel handles are opened. The water pump is turned on.

I removed the mattress to inspect the flexible water supply lines which thread into the back of the shower compartment. The leak is relegated to external shower compartment outside.

I installed an accumulator sometime last year. I noted that it is now cutting in about once every 5 minutes which I'm attributing to the leak.

I removed the hot water valve stem. It is a cheap plastic thing. I replaced the valve seat rubber gasket. The original one looked fine but I had to start somewhere… I inspected the O ring and decided not to replace it. I reinstalled the valve stem. Water continued to leak out below the hot water wheel knob.

I removed the cold-water valve stem and replaced the valve seat rubber gasket. This did not solve the problem either. Plumbing generally speaking is not complicated but this deal has me scratching my head.

I'm guessing that one or both of the cartridges are defective. Just a guess... What does the community suggest? Is there a decent alternative replacement part to this cheap valve stem cartridge? Or, am I missing something in diagnosing this leak?

As an aside, I have not filled the hot water tank yet. The cold and hot water petcocks are still in the shut off mode.

It's not the end of the world. We can still go camping. But at some point I'd like to fix the leak. That and the still unfixed issue of the gray water tank.

Thanks for any suggestions!
“The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.”
― R. D. Laing
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote