Fishermen - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
All my fly rods are 4-piece. When broken down and in their tubes, they fit nicely into the upper cabinet in the back of my 19. I usually stuff my fishing vest or other clothing in with them to keep them from rolling around.

When they are set up and ready to fish, this has always presented a problem regardless of what vehicle I'm using. I finally bought those rod holders with suction cups that go on your windshield a few years ago. Right now I'm considering the long metal tubes that affix to a rack on the roof of your vehicle, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/River-Smith-2...g-goods&sr=1-9
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
In an Escape 19, I put the fly rod cases behind the upper seat cushions in the dinette and use them to enhance lumbar support, since those cushions don't provide much as they are flat so they can double for a mattress if the table is lowered. Other people use pool noodles for the same purpose (or get custom cushions) but I find the rod cases are better than nothing.
BTW, there are a lot of good USD 200 fly rods out there. No need to pay twice that. But if you try to buy one for half that, good luck.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
When I'm out fishing, I generally use 90 - 120 lb. test monofilament as a hand line. But then I'm ocean fishing from a sailboat and find poles get in the way of all the lines (ropes) used for controlling the vessel. You talk about thrills .... for me its the shadow a 120 lb. halibut casts when you bring him up to the surface .... careful! Don't let him break the surface or he will realize he is no longer on the bottom .... then the fight begins. If you are planning on inviting him aboard for dinner - then slack your handline and keep his head below the surface until you can get a "shark hook" planted threw the lower jaw. A shark hook looks like a typical fish hook but is made of 1/4" steel rod and is tied to the boat with 10 feet of 300 lb. parachute cord. Plan on it being more than 1/2 hour of thrashing before you can bring him aboard.

I love fishing of all types. Lets eat!

Just another slice of life and fun to think about. Its all good!

Tom
Old 09-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
On our past RV's I mounted a full length 4" PVC pipe to the rear bumper dump storage tube. As I live on the gulf coast, most of our rods are 7', and with a little foam wrap to protect the eyes, they travel just fine. Four heavy duty tywraps handled the mounting process and were quite secure.
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 F250
Like many I break them down and put them in tubes when traveling. When I’m in a fishing area are use a long Sims case with spans my seat in the truck. They break the rods down in half and place them in that case. This way I don’t have to break the rods down every time I go fishing.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote