Fishermen - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Fishermen

Where and how do you store your fishing rods in your trailer? I have a 5.0 TA but info from any trailer would be useful. Thanks.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Where and how do you store your fishing rods in your trailer? I have a 5.0 TA but info from any trailer would be useful. Thanks.
I have a 19. Fly rods in a hard case under the bed.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My fly rods are broken down and placed in socks inside rod tubes, in the back of the tow vehicle.
Takes a couple minutes to break them down, but I've seen the damage that can occur in a moment of inattention.

My dad slammed the trunk on my very first spin-casting rod when I was eight-years-old. I remember.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I know several owners who have a second sewer hose storage tube that they use for fishing rods.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I like hard tubes and have an arrowhead aluminum tube I’ve had for 35 plus years. It’s a little beat up but that just shows it works. I carry my tackle in the tow vehicle. I have a nice soft case that looks like a gun case but I don’t really trust it for protection. I put a piece of pVC pipe about one inch in diameter to stiffen it up but the jury is still out. While I own a couple hard plastic rod cases covered with fabric, I like the metal ones. I have a cordura bag with dividers for some reels, spare spools and line. It only takes a few minutes to rig up so tearing the combo down and casing them really helps on longevity.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I bring a 6'6" 2 pc and a 7' 3 pc in the closet. No tube, just held together with rubber bands.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This is my strategy.

I buy St. Croix rods out of Wisconsin (fast action flyrods). They come with a lifetime guarantee. My small boat is a 12 foot hard shelled cataraft. You put your rods on the pontoons and then you are very careful from then on.

I have never broken a rod. But my guests have broken several! Or mine, several times. Take your pick.

So I send the rod back with US $20, and wait for the new rod to show up. The one problem is if you have a nice aluminum rod case, they'll TAKE IT! And probably give you a flimsy plastic one that will warp in the Sun in return.

Always buy from a reputable rod maker, always get the lifetime guarantee and don't send in your best rod case.
Attached Thumbnails
Kenn-Green.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #8

Here's another pic of me, fishing for bait, with my pet fish!
Attached Thumbnails
shark-boat.jpg  
Old 09-05-2020, 06:53 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bought a St Croix Tidemaster inshore 3 pc travel rod for a coworker when he retired to Florida 15 years or so ago. After a while he broke the tip section and tried to send it back to St Croix, no go, they stopped making the rod and had no parts left for it. The lifetime warranty was not honored.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Bought a St Croix Tidemaster inshore 3 pc travel rod for a coworker when he retired to Florida 15 years or so ago. After a while he broke the tip section and tried to send it back to St Croix, no go, they stopped making the rod and had no parts left for it. The lifetime warranty was not honored.
OMG! I know you have to spend about $300 to get it. I'm on my ninth fly rod if I remember correctly. However I have not had a rod break in about five years. They have always just replaced the entire rod for me.

Might be time to switch to Sage!
Old 09-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Might be time to switch to Sage!

I believe Sage is out of the "lifetime" warranty too. Too many careless customers out there.
I have a custom built 4pc. 7'3' 4 wt. that I've been afraid to fish for fear of breaking it.

But, you don't have to spend $600. I have a 3wt. St. Croix that I built from blanks ( $70 ). It's a favourite.
Attached Thumbnails
bonsai fish - 1.jpg  
Old 09-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I believe Sage is out of the "lifetime" warranty too. Too many careless customers out there.
I have a custom built 4pc. 7'3' 4 wt. that I've been afraid to fish for fear of breaking it.

But, you don't have to spend $600. I have a 3wt. St. Croix that I built from blanks ( $70 ). It's a favourite.
Hook that little guy through the tail with about a 6/0 Circle hook and you’re in the catfish business around here. I have a couple St Croix rods and they are both pretty nice. One is an Eye Con Walleye rod and the other an ultralight I use on crappies and trout. Both are spinning rods. We had a mayor who liked to fish . Our service award program was outdated with only overpriced trinkets like ball point pens and golf umbrellas etc. I was talking to him one day and he asked me about how I would change it up. I suggested gift cards to large retailers both local and mail order. He went with it. When I got to 20 years service I got a gift card and traded it for the St Croix rod. Better than the watch I got at 10 that turned my wrist green.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I know several owners who have a second sewer hose storage tube that they use for fishing rods.
Here is what the 2nd tube looks like on my 17B...
Attached Thumbnails
ED9F67AB-8C61-46F2-B3FC-FF559785115D.jpg  
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Here is what the 2nd tube looks like on my 17B...
Hi Flynfrfun, We have the 2 sewer hose tubes, too, and my husband just said, 'We should've ordered 3!' One for the sewer hose, one for the PVC pipes (for the mast)....and one more for the fishing pole! He normally fishes with his buddies here locally, but if he ever decides to bring his rod with us, it would probably go in the TV. But I have a question for you, a bit off topic...did you replace the stock ETI stabilizers with scissors jacks? -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Flynfrfun, We have the 2 sewer hose tubes, too, and my husband just said, 'We should've ordered 3!' One for the sewer hose, one for the PVC pipes (for the mast)....and one more for the fishing pole! He normally fishes with his buddies here locally, but if he ever decides to bring his rod with us, it would probably go in the TV. But I have a question for you, a bit off topic...did you replace the stock ETI stabilizers with scissors jacks? -Bea
Hi Bea. I am the 3rd owner but I believe there were several trailers around the time mine was being built that mistakenly were outfitted with the scissor jacks. So it came from ETI this way I’m pretty sure. I’m careful to not jack them up too much as they have the capability of lifting the whole trailer!
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #16
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Hi Bea. I am the 3rd owner but I believe there were several trailers around the time mine was being built that mistakenly were outfitted with the scissor jacks. So it came from ETI this way I’m pretty sure. I’m careful to not jack them up too much as they have the capability of lifting the whole trailer!
Got it! Thanks, Bea
Old 09-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
My rods reside in a piece of black foam pipe insulation (the stuff that's split longitudinally) and hung from the handles and clothing hooks/sissy bars above the doors and side window of my SUV. Safe, and out of the way!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #18
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
My rods reside in a piece of black foam pipe insulation (the stuff that's split longitudinally) and hung from the handles and clothing hooks/sissy bars above the doors and side window of my SUV. Safe, and out of the way!
That is brilliant! Thanks, Bea
Old 09-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Not a fisherman but think this could work. Made from PVC fence post. You could make it lockable too.
Attached Thumbnails
FCE67DA6-E7FE-4FCD-8686-82E241C37645.jpeg   EA770E06-9D9F-48D4-BE54-C5684AEF1B92.jpg   5166EFB1-2CA9-468B-A0B3-2766E307CFB4.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
I thought about the extra sewer tube. But I like that PVC fence post idea! I will have to check into it further. Thanks to all for the help. Sounds like a lot of fly fishermen here. I like that and will try often, but I also love to throw a lure on a small spinning outfit. Then again how can you beat a feisty 50 Lb. tuna on 30 Lb. gear. Let's all go wet a line.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote