Flashlight by door? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2023, 07:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Flashlight by door?

I found my old MagLight, bought some clips, and want to mount it near the door. Any recommendations? High, low, door side, other side?
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mount it far enough from the edge of the door frame So you won’t hook your clothes on it going in or out. Put it at a natural height where you don’t have to reach up or stoop down to access it. I have an old mag light loop type hanger that was convenient on my belt back years ago. Now I’ve gone with the small led flashlights. I especially like the ones with the swivel head, a magnet somewhere on the body and a two level intensity. I also prefer the LED cap light that fits on the bill of my ball cap or a head lamp with an elastic strap. Hands free, light where you look has its advantages. Chargeable AA and AAA batteries are worth it to me.
Hope this helps
Iowa Dave
Old 10-29-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
If you mount it on the wall, the wall is not solid the surface is 1/8 thick with 1” by 2” pine strips that you will need to locate with using a stud finder.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
If really an "old" Maglight..............

Get an LED conversion for it, like night and day and much better battery life.

Nite Ize for the cheap (works fine).

BTW - a MagLight ain't "old"........try "Kel-Lite" for old.
"Thonk" was the sound they made when used for uh..."convincing".........
Guess I'm old!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Whatever works for you.

I have to say that for years my Maglites were my go-to flashlights. But now they languish on my shop shelf, unused and unloved. Just can't beat an led flashlight half its' size. I can carry one in my pocket, put it in by a cubbie by the door etc., not to mention rechargable.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Get an LED conversion for it, like night and day and much better battery life.

Nite Ize for the cheap (works fine).

BTW - a MagLight ain't "old"........try "Kel-Lite" for old.
"Thonk" was the sound they made when used for uh..."convincing".........
Guess I'm old!
Yes, nothing like a 2-D cell MagLight in your hand at night for that secure feeling.

I installed a Malkoff MDMLA LED conversion adapter with their M31 drop-in reflector and bulb.

350 lumens and 2.5+ hours runtime with 2 regular alkaline D cells. Works for me.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I found my old MagLight, bought some clips, and want to mount it near the door. Any recommendations? High, low, door side, other side?
I used the existing door screw for the one side, holds my walking stick.
Or inside that cabinet I have a powerful magnet, but I don’t think it will work on your Maglight. I put it up high so it conceals, whatever one might want to put there…
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0846.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Led flashlight

I glued a large washer near the door and have an led flashlight with a magnet attached. I store it elsewhere when travelling. It charges from a USB port.
Attached Thumbnails
20231030_091146.jpg  
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
They may have changed the design between your 5.0TA and mine, which is a 2015, but I can look in the outside hatch behind my entry door and see the entire back side of the wall that is on the right as I enter the trailer. Geez, I hope that make sense to anyone other than me.

Anway, I have added a multi-key hook and a permanent mount for a new fire extinguisher to that wall. By looking in the exterior hatch I can locate where I want to attach some backing material to strengthen the mount. I have used 1"x2" scraps and pieces of 1/2" plywood for backing. I locate where I want the screws to go through the 1/8' plywood then apply a bunch of wood glue to the backing piece and screw it securely onto the backside. I let the glue set overnight, remove the screws and add the item I want to mount.

Something similar could work for your MagLite.
Old 10-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
They may have changed the design between your 5.0TA and mine, which is a 2015, but I can look in the outside hatch behind my entry door and see the entire back side of the wall that is on the right as I enter the trailer. Geez, I hope that make sense to anyone other than me.
Yes Lyle it makes sense since we have the older hatch which is higher. Now it's cut lower with a shelf above and door on that inside wall by the door. On ours it's nearly a wasted space (keep electric cords there) but years ago I installed a very lightweight shelf below the drawer under the door counter where I keep three rolls of paper towel. I have to take the drawer out to reach them but it's rare that I need them.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote