Front locker water leaks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2024, 05:15 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Front locker water leaks

A recurring problem for us is that the front locker allows water into it as we drive on wet roads. I appreciate that there are drain holes to allow excess water to drain, but I would like to find a solution to keep contents dry. We have considered replacing the gasket, but the gasket does not cover the entire length of the sealing surface.

If others have tackled this problem and have a solution, I would like to hear.
MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I believe the water comes up from the drain holes in the bottom on both side. You can plug the holes.

Forum thoughts?
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a 2013 21. When I took it out to Chilliwack to have solar installed in 2017 the crew out there did the work I asked for and when I went to pick it up they showed me that they had replaced the gasket on our front box. They said it was an improved gasket. I hadn’t noticed it leaking previous to the replacement and it has not leaked since. Gaskets do get tired and sometimes shrink. I’d check with Escape and see if you could get a new gasket. They did not charge me for the one they installed on our rig. Worth a try. Everything in my front box can stand some moisture. It’s either in plastic buckets. Wood blocks, and some other stuff can get wet. I don’t put electrical stuff in the box like a drill etc.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-01-2024, 06:25 PM   #4
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I believe the water comes up from the drain holes in the bottom on both side. You can plug the holes.

Forum thoughts?
Interesting idea. Did not consider this option.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:33 PM   #5
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We have a 2013 21. When I took it out to Chilliwack to have solar installed in 2017 the crew out there did the work I asked for and when I went to pick it up they showed me that they had replaced the gasket on our front box. They said it was an improved gasket. I hadn’t noticed it leaking previous to the replacement and it has not leaked since. Gaskets do get tired and sometimes shrink. I’d check with Escape and see if you could get a new gasket. They did not charge me for the one they installed on our rig. Worth a try.
Iowa Dave
Dave,

Does the improved gasket address the gap at the corners (see pic)?

--Steve
Attached Thumbnails
locker.jpg  
Old 02-01-2024, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don’t think there’s any gap. I’ll look tomorrow and report. I was in the trailer yesterday to change my damp rid tub and check the batteries after the -20s F real temp. The snow has melted away from the overhead door. Still 4 feet deep over part of the garden. I’ll let you know.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-01-2024, 09:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Rather then plug the drain holes, I would install short vinyl tubes in the holes so water can still drain out, but the water working itself up the tubes seams small. I would have them extend approx 3” below the bottom and secure the tubes with caulk. If the vinyl has a natural curve to it. Have the curve towards the back.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote