Help - last chance to add extras to our new 17A - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Help - last chance to add extras to our new 17A

Hi everyone,

We are finalizing paperwork on the 17A Inventory model still visible on the Escape website. We are in the last day or two of being able to request any changes. As you can tell by our choice of a 17A, we like things very simple. The only additions I have made are the reading lights in four spots, and I just requested spray-on foam insulation. Trailer is solar ready but at this time we don’t think we want a solar panel, and could easily get an aftermarket one so I’m not going to add one to our order. We have the storage box in front. Planning on (tomorrow) buying a used Toyota Highlander V6 as our tow vehicle. We’ll mostly be in state parks with facilities, or say 3-days max without hookups.

Is there anything else that you have found to be very important? I don’t mean to ask about things we can easily get later like water pressure regulators or remembering to bring a broom inside; just anything important to add to the order from the factory while we still can, that would be harder to add or change later.

Thank you for reading!
Harriet
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
My two cents: You say you like to keep things simple then get the solar panel. Do it now and forget it. You'll be glad you did it. Also, interior wiring for possible future exterior portable solar port. Include foot flush toilet. Two-way hot water heater. Winterizing T-valve. Toilet shut-off valve. And any interior wiring installed you may want for future use like additional lighting, outlets, etc. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you go solar, get the 2 6v batteries. Or if you camp off grid much, get the 2 6v batteries irregardless. Front storage box if it doesn't already have it.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Does it have the two batteries? I find that more than 2 nights with the heater in use and my 12V single battery was running too low, so even if you aren't often without hookups that might be worthwhile. (And I've been in hookup campgrounds twice when the power went out for at least half a day.) The only other thing I'd say is think about how you would use it and make sure you have outlets in the right places. For example, the one 12V one in my 15A is in back under the small dinette and is a pain to get to as I keep that as a bench.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In order to get the dual batteries in a E17 it has to have the rear bumper extended, if this model does not have it then the batteries would have to go in the front box which may make it tongue heavy.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17A
We picked up our 17A six weeks ago. We are glad we had the solar panel installed. We always have plenty of battery power. One advantage is to run the fridge on 12 volt while towing. The solar panels really help keep the battery power up in that situation. Then we switch it to propane once we park.

We also got the hitch wheel, which has proven easier to use than I imagined, on flat concrete where I need to swing the trailer in place once I park it in our driveway. Probably will be much harder to move on gravel or dirt.

We tow fine with a Tacoma without an equalizer hitch.

In summary, we ordered an external shower with hot water heater, storage box, extra lights and solar and are glad we did. We had a tent trailer before and we are surprised how much we enjoy hot water.......make sure the furnace works.
bobekey6@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you go solar, get the 2 6v batteries. Or if you camp off grid much, get the 2 6v batteries irregardless. Front storage box if it doesn't already have it.
Yes, it has the 2 batteries, and the storage box. Is the storage useful?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Does it have the two batteries? I find that more than 2 nights with the heater in use and my 12V single battery was running too low, so even if you aren't often without hookups that might be worthwhile. (And I've been in hookup campgrounds twice when the power went out for at least half a day.) The only other thing I'd say is think about how you would use it and make sure you have outlets in the right places. For example, the one 12V one in my 15A is in back under the small dinette and is a pain to get to as I keep that as a bench.
Yes, luckily it has the dual 6V batteries. It’s so funny because form where I’m coming from, I see those items on the list and I barely even know what the advantage is, so this is very helpful, thanks.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
My two cents: You say you like to keep things simple then get the solar panel. Do it now and forget it. You'll be glad you did it. Also, interior wiring for possible future exterior portable solar port. Include foot flush toilet. Two-way hot water heater. Winterizing T-valve. Toilet shut-off valve. And any interior wiring installed you may want for future use like additional lighting, outlets, etc. -Tom
Our unit is all solar-ready, everything minus a panel. We are both engineers so not afraid of adding a panel later. It sounds like we'll probably want one!

We've chosen not to have a toilet :-)
Old 06-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In order to get the dual batteries in a E17 it has to have the rear bumper extended, if this model does not have it then the batteries would have to go in the front box which may make it tongue heavy.
Awesome, I would not have known this. Luckily it already has the dual batteries on the back bumper. Now I’m feeling more and more appreciative of the options on this inventory one.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobekey6@gmail.com View Post
We picked up our 17A six weeks ago. We are glad we had the solar panel installed. We always have plenty of battery power. One advantage is to run the fridge on 12 volt while towing. The solar panels really help keep the battery power up in that situation. Then we switch it to propane once we park.

We also got the hitch wheel, which has proven easier to use than I imagined, on flat concrete where I need to swing the trailer in place once I park it in our driveway. Probably will be much harder to move on gravel or dirt.

We tow fine with a Tacoma without an equalizer hitch.

In summary, we ordered an external shower with hot water heater, storage box, extra lights and solar and are glad we did. We had a tent trailer before and we are surprised how much we enjoy hot water.......make sure the furnace works.
Super helpful! Nice to hear from 17A people too. It’s our first camper of any kind, can’t wait to see it and use it. I look fwd to the hot water on tap.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Yes, it has the 2 batteries, and the storage box. Is the storage useful?
Interested in what is in the 17 storage box, too.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #13
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
My two cents: You say you like to keep things simple then get the solar panel. Do it now and forget it. You'll be glad you did it.
We 2nd this and suggest you get the solar panel now. It is the best way to 'keep it simple'! One of the best add-ons you can do, IMHO. Congrats on your new 17A! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Harriet, picture this: it's the middle of the night, pitch dark, pouring like crazy outside and you need to pee. Why thrown on rain gear to tramp down to the campground facilities when you could have a toilet in your rig? Don't get me wrong, my wife and I prefer to use campground facilities, especially for showering. But in the middle of the night, which is most every night, no way. We use our camper's toilet and climb back into bed. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17A
Small but Sweet:
you may want to check your build sheet to make sure you have a hot water heater and external shower,
They are extras on the 17A and not standard.
bobekey6@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #16
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Harriet, picture this: it's the middle of the night, pitch dark, pouring like crazy outside and you need to pee. Why thrown on rain gear to tramp down to the campground facilities when you could have a toilet in your rig? Don't get me wrong, my wife and I prefer to use campground facilities, especially for showering. But in the middle of the night, which is most every night, no way. We use our camper's toilet and climb back into bed. -Tom
I thought there was storage area for a small port-a-potty either in the cabinet or under the bed in the 17A? -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I thought there was storage area for a small port-a-potty either in the cabinet or under the bed in the 17A? -Bea
i agree - there are many different solutions even for an indoor potty that don’t involve plumbing.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We 2nd this and suggest you get the solar panel now. It is the best way to 'keep it simple'! One of the best add-ons you can do, IMHO. Congrats on your new 17A! -Bea
Any idea why the Escape 190kW solar panel plus charge controller is over US$800 though? It’s a multiple of the cost to buy an aftermarket camper roof solar panel + charge controller. Again, we are not afraid of installing it ourselves, and the camper is solar prewired. If there is an advantage to the Escape solar panel would someone please tell me!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you look around there are cheap panels and expensive panels. Escape uses GoPower last I knew, which are on the expensive side. Panel specs may differ, you'd have to look it up. FWIW, the 190w kit is $703 USD from etrailer. So your paying $100 for the install if the price os $800 from ETI, not bad by me.

A lot of folks, me included, do our own install to get the products we want instead of the GoPower setup.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you look around there are cheap panels and expensive panels. Escape uses GoPower last I knew, which are on the expensive side. Panel specs may differ, you'd have to look it up. FWIW, the 190w kit is $703 USD from etrailer. So your paying $100 for the install if the price os $800 from ETI, not bad by me.

A lot of folks, me included, do our own install to get the products we want instead of the GoPower setup.
Perfect answer, thanks - that really clarifies it. I think since we are going to see if we even want a solar panel, are very capable of installing our own, are prewired, AND can get similar for slightly less (it’s $840 to have it installed) - we feel comfortable not getting it right now. That was super helpful!!