Inner locking foam tiles? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2022, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 E19
Inner locking foam tiles?

Has anyone used anything like these? Wondering if would help with the cold floor of people without the underneath insulation(or more to the ones with). https://www.greatmats.com/shop/cart....videos&vID=500 I bought a soft topped kind for my Dog Agility in my basement from this company. Just cut to shape.

https://www.greatmats.com/tiles/inte...rev.phphttp://
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As they say, "every little bit helps". Would add a small bit of insulation and be softer to walk on.

The alternative is to add sheet foam under the trailer. Easy to do and adds more R value than the floor tiles. We don't wear shoes in the trailer and like a warm floor.

It's just the basic pink foam painted black. It's stands up amazing well. This foam has been to Baja and a lot of gravel Forest Service Roads.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
croped_resize.jpg   IMGP0019_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As they say, "every little bit helps". Would add a small bit of insulation and be softer to walk on.

The alternative is to add sheet foam under the trailer. Easy to do and adds more R value than the floor tiles. We don't wear shoes in the trailer and like a warm floor.

It's just the basic pink foam painted black. It's stands up amazing well. This foam has been to Baja and a lot of gravel Forest Service Roads.

Ron

What thickness, & how is held in/up? Looks easier than the 2 part spray foam (I did my house with it, a MESS!) But then can get at something under there easier. It looks like it doesn't cover the water tanks? But, then I don't plan on heavy winter camping. I do know that the spray foam does break down some outside. That doesn't for I'd 3=4+ times longer.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No, the foam isn't over the tanks or other items. The purpose is to keep the floor as warm as possible for sock feet.

I've done this mod on both my 19 and 21. On the 19 I used 2" and on the 21
1 1/2". It's an extremely easy mod because the foam is so easy to work with. I cut it to size and test fitted it. It fit so well that it was snug and stayed in place by itself. I had to pry it out to paint it. Panel adhesive probably would have been enough to hold it in but I'm a belt and braces type of guy and I like mechanical fastenings as a backup. Simple lightweight aluminum angle and plumbers straping do the job.

The 19 did the Alaska Hwy. and multiple trips to some of the delightful roads in Baja and remained in good condition.

It's an easy mod to do and one of the few that can be done at a leisurely pace and the trailer stays usable whether it's completed or not.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-01-2016 2-28-59 PM_0003_resize.jpg   17-01-2016 8-31-14 PM06_resize.jpg   IMGP0008_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Me too. Following Ron's example.
Attached Thumbnails
undercarrage1.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes we have…I initially installed it just for the off seasons but my wife and I like it so much we leave it in all the time. We generally take our shoes off and it is so nice on the feet or knees if you are looking into cabinets.

You can see our install in the following link and check out a few post before where I did the same thing in the bathroom.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post311905

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Foam pads

I've used a 1 piece foam pad from Harbor Freight and recently replaced that with H.F. Interlocking pads cut to floor size. Works fine. I'd like to do the rigid foam underside too, but just haven't and typically camp in moderate conditions.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Before buying our escape we renovated a Scamp and replaced the flooring. We used allure planks with two layers of underlay padding. Just came in a roll that was enough for two layers so we used it. At first I thought it would be too soft, but it is great. We are almost always barefoot in the trailer and it feels great. It is the only aspect of the Scamp that I want to copy into the escape eventually.

By comparison the escape floor feels like a cement floor.

So, I would understand using the foam grid stuff just to make it feel better.

My wife already said that if we ever do any major renovations the floor has to be done, too.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Yes we have…I initially installed it just for the off seasons but my wife and I like it so much we leave it in all the time. We generally take our shoes off and it is so nice on the feet or knees if you are looking into cabinets.

You can see our install in the following link and check out a few post before where I did the same thing in the bathroom.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post311905
So, you have the "Bins Drawers". Did you pull up track & go under the bed, with foam tiles? On the 5" raised dinning deck. Did you do it? I have 2 toe kick drawers from the Rialta. Trying to figure where to put them.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #10

Trailer: waiting 21C
I have the grey harbor freight ones over my concrete basement floor. Can't beat the price and they work pretty well. Definitely creates a nice thermal barrier. Just about the cheapest and quickest way to cover a floor.
Mudhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
So, you have the "Bins Drawers". Did you pull up track & go under the bed, with foam tiles? On the 5" raised dinning deck. Did you do it? I have 2 toe kick drawers from the Rialta. Trying to figure where to put them.
They are only in the main area and bathroom, not under the roll out bins or on the raised dinette area. We do however have a sheet of hard foam under the mattress.

I will be doing the foam board under the trailer if we decide to extend our camping season.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2022 E19
Is there a noticeable difference in warmth with the foam board? Any other benefits? Noise reduction?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote