Install of Dickinson heater - 2023 E19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2023, 09:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 - 19F1
Install of Dickinson heater - 2023 E19

Hard for me to believe I’m actually doing this - got the trailer mid-June, and now I’m doing a major mod, cutting into the wall, cabinet, and roof of my new trailer. We’ve been camping several times already, once at 9200 ft. when it was 33 deg f at night, and I could have used the heater - so I made the decision to order it now, so it would be ready for the fall.
The background story is that experience with other campers showed me that
1 - standard RV heaters (Dometic, Suburban) were somewhat noisy, intermittent on/off operation because of the thermostat, particularly at night, and had something called a sail switch which was problematic.
2 - The heater couldn’t be adjusted to run continuously at 25% for instance, even if you wanted to.
3 - When running, it uses lots of electricity and propane, although the intermittent operation may bring total energy usage down - hard to compare with the Dickinson.
4 - I looked at the diesel heater, but it was similar to a standard propane furnace, with the complication of diesel fuel.
So when I ordered the trailer, I asked ETI to delete the furnace, no kitchen window, and no hood vent above the stove. Additional benefits for the mod in my case are; a great location for kitchen drawers in the space opened up from the furnace, no hole in the side of the camper for the furnace exhaust or the hood vent. And since I got the compressor refrigerator, that’s 4 or 5 large and small holes in the shell eliminated (although I drilled a 3” hole in the roof).
I’m not done yet - but here’s pictures of the results (can’t get that one picture upright). I’ll provide pictures and info on the process in follow up posts. Let me know of any particular questions you have.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0345.jpg (191.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0346a.jpg (293.3 KB, 67 views)
homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote