Lagun Table Mount Install - Thoughts - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #121

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Lagun #3 in an Escape 19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Do you have the inverter to relocate? Glad to help if we can. It’s a fun and rewarding project.

73/gus
Thanks for the offer,
I ended up installing back in roughly the same location. Your solution was elegant , but I wanted to be able to complete as quickly as possible.
Here are a few photos:http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/at...1&d=1568467340
This may be Lagun #3! for a 19 with U shaped dinette.
I decided that beefing up the floor with some slant cut 2x6's to allow cooling fan relief for the converter, and reinforcing the wall with extra plywood and an aluminum angle strip was all the modification I needed for great strength.
The angle brackets are from a tractor supply store and required re drilling only 1 hole ( 10 inches). I did have to fill in the factory hollow wall and installed a sheet of 1/2" plywood before using the Lagun supplied backer board.
BTW I ordered my kit from across the pond as suggested in an earlier thread and it arrived 2 days later and significantly less expensive than our US supplier!
Thanks for all the great ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6075.jpg   IMG_6077.jpg   IMG_6078 - Copy.jpg   IMG_6080.jpg  
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #122

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Looks nice!
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #123

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The 19er Lagun club is growing.
Looks great, very nice work. You’ll love this system and the ability to quickly remove the table. We leave our locks kind of loose so we can move the table around to all kind of positions without locking and unlocking all the time.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #124

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The 19er Lagun club is growing.
Looks great, very nice work. You’ll love this system and the ability to quickly remove the table. We leave our locks kind of loose so we can move the table around to all kind of positions without locking and unlocking all the time.
We have already discovered that trick and love our set up. No floor humps and easy bed conversion as well.
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #125

Trailer: Lance 845
Thank you so much for your post, I had the exact same concerns.

Did you glue and screw whatever you used on the floor ? It looks white in the pics.

I have a Lance truck camper and I am not sure about the floor, I may need to call Lance to see if they recommend bolts.

Any idea what your table weighs?

I want to have the option of using a smaller table and the larger stock table which makes the dinette into a bed but I am concerned about the weight.

Thanks so much.

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
This month I installed a Lagun table mount in our new (Nov 17) Escape 21 with the U-shaped dinette. I’m a retired structural engineer so I looked at this install primarily with stability and strength in mind. There are certainly many ways to successfully install the table support. Here are some thoughts and a description of how I went about it:

The original construction is basically just a wood frame covered with very thin plywood. It’s conservative to assume the plywood has no real strength and to design the install such that all load from the table (vertical weight and resultant moment, think lever arm) transfers directly to the wood frame structure, which is well designed in the U dinette benches.

I first filled the space within the wood frame with 3/4in plywood then installed a wood plate over this plywood attached directly to the framing. In my case, I used some 3/8” oak I had left over from another project.

Then I installed two steel brackets between the new vertical “wall” of this back bench and the floor of the trailer. I used these:

https://www.wwhardware.com/a-m-hardw...am-black-16252

They are 8in x 12in shelf support brackets made of 1/8in steel by these folks:

High Quality Support Brackets for Countertops, Islands, Workstations, Shelves & Vanities | A&M Hardware

They are much stronger than necessary but, more importantly, they are very stiff. Cheap too, less than $20/pair plus shipping.

I attached these brackets using 1/4in threaded inserts and 1/4in bolts. By far the weakest part of the bracket install is the threaded insert/plywood connection in the trailer floor. A better solution would be to use through bolts but that’s overkill.

The good news is that the 3rd part of the install takes much of the load away from these brackets. I, like others have suggested, installed a 3/4in x 1/8in by 48in long steel angle along the top edge of the back bench “wall” of the U-shaped dinette. If you look at how the structure is built, you can see that now the load is transferred to the rest of the framing in the benches. I see this brace as very important in the Lagun table install as it greatly reduces movement of the Lagun mount and reduces the chance of pulling out any of the screws or bolts used in the brackets.

I installed a temporary table that is about 34.5in x 21in to try out. The length allows the table top to be used as the bed support. We shall see if this table suits us next month on our first real outing – Quartzite, AZ. I am posting a few photos that should help explain my install.

I hope this helps,
Bill
liz@lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #126

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Happy with the Lagun Table System. Didn’t use stock ETI table, wanted something a little smaller. Had ETI not install the table or base. Cut a ¾ plywood board 34.5 x 21 sourced from Home Depot for $24. Found a stain close to the maple wood interior color. Fits perfectly for the bed and Lagun hardware secures under table. Mounting the Lagun support was the same as others have done.
Attached Thumbnails
table1.jpg   table2.jpg   table3.jpg   table4.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #127

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Has anyone added the Lagun to a 19' with the standard dining area (not the u-shaped)??
jkcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #128

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would think that the stock table is too large and heavy for the Lagun mount...
Old 11-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #129

I would have no problem using a smaller and lighter table. I want the added floor/leg space and the versatality of the lagun. Was hoping there is a way to attach it without major engineering.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #130

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Lagun Table Mount Install- Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would think that the stock table is too large and heavy for the Lagun mount...
....we used the ETI stock table with our Lagun table mount installation (on our 21' with u-shaped dinette) - works wonderfully!
Escape2Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #131

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C- Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 2011
Lagun table ETI stock

My ETI stock table is very stable as I just reinforced with plywood underneath and Bill's well thought out design is excellent. I just had ETI angle all four corners and I find it very light-just be sure you tighten it down when you're using it. For me it was the way to go as I use two hinged boards to also use in the area as a lounge. Highly recommend as my long legs have lots of room and my dog can lay underneath the table. I wonder if ETI could ever offer this as an option? You do have to be handy to do the mount.

Tom
Jackson, WY
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1710.JPG.jpg  
WyoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #132

When I mentioned "Stock" table I was referring to the non "U" larger standard table that comes in the E19 and E21, perhaps 24" longer than the smaller "U" table and a lot heavier than the smaller table. But try it and report back.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #133

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Too much thinking going on. My table weighs in at around 27.5#.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Too much thinking going on. My table weighs in at around 27.5#.
But you have the "U" dinette, correct?
Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #135

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Happy with the Lagun Table System. Didn’t use stock ETI table, wanted something a little smaller. Had ETI not install the table or base. Cut a ¾ plywood board 34.5 x 21 sourced from Home Depot for $24. Found a stain close to the maple wood interior color. Fits perfectly for the bed and Lagun hardware secures under table. Mounting the Lagun support was the same as others have done.
Hi jumboscott, I see you used an extra piece of plywood under your table, I tried that first but found it heavier than my liking. I now have a similar sized aluminum plate, works well and much lighter.
Nice job
We have the ETI table with all four corners cut, works well for us.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoug View Post
Has anyone added the Lagun to a 19' with the standard dining area (not the u-shaped)??
I think if you are willing to give up a few inches against the back wall it could be done. If you can get into a trailer with one installed you can get a feel of what is needed. I would think a couple of parallel channels between the benches at the top and a couple at the bottom tied (braced) together would provide plenty of wall support. Then adding 3/4" plywood face would do the trick. I believe the weakest spot in the mount to be where the table mounts to the Lagun and not as much where the Lagun mounts to the wall. That said I do believe that wall the Lagun mounts to does need to be solid.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #137

Thanks for the idea!
Old 12-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #138

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
Install on standard dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Very nice Bill, we are enjoying seeing everyones installs with the Lagun table.

We are working on a plan to install a Lagun table mount without having the factory installed u shaped dinette. Our thoughts are that making a custom u shaped without enclosing the bench area would give us a place to put our dogs dishes safely out of walking area and give her a place for her bed under the table. So our framing support for the new bench and Lagun mount would need to be esthetically pleasing as well as strong since it will be open. We are thinking some sort of center post to both support the table mount and the new bench above along with two steel angle connecting the two side benches for the front and back of the new bench. This would keep the floor under the bench clear for dog dishes except for the center post space. The new bench would also need to be removable (not the frame work but certainly the surface) so that we could access our fuse panel which is near the back end of the side bench.
If anyone else has ideas or has done such an install please chime in.

TallyHo, were you able to achieve a secure Lagun mount on a standard dinette?
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #139

We Love Our Lagun

I finally got around to getting a few pictures of our Lagun and the Aluminum plate that I used to increase the attachment area to the table. The table is very soft "wood" and with the small mounting area of the Lagun it is subject to the screws pulling out if you put much pressure on the table edge (which I did by leaning on it).

I originally tried to use a 1/2 piece of plywood, it was very sturdy but it ended up being very heavy. The aluminum plate works great and is very light weight.

I also used an aluminum L bracing across the rear bench and filled in the area where the mount attaches to the back bench with plywood. I did not find it necessary to run any bracing from the back bench wall to the floor area and decided to do that later if necessary. I found it was not needed (IMHO). The attachment to the bench is very sturdy this way, with the weakest point still being where the table itself mounts to the Lagun (adding the aluminum plate has minimized that mounting substantially and I think you'd need to put an extreme amount of weight on the outside edge of the table to pull the screws out now).

We did not have ETI mount the original table so we haven't any holes in the floor. We generally have a rug under the table so that probably isn't a big deal if the holes were there .

We had ETI cut all 4 corners which means the table can be situated any which way (there isn't a front or back, it can completely spin around).
Attached Thumbnails
1 Colleen working in SS.jpg   2 LagunRotateRt 4 IMG_20200104_164706.jpg   3Lagun 6IMG_20200104_163729.jpg   4Lagun Rotated.jpg   5Lagun1 with Aluminum Plate.jpg  

Old 01-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #140

That looks really nice, thanks sooo much for sharing!