Modifications to Eggscape - Page 42 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #821
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Here is a video that Karl and Harrison from Escape Trailer did at the 2023 Rally in the Valley.

https://youtu.be/gVve6gNcyL8
Mr. Eggscape / Ed,
Very nice video and some great modifications.

Thank you for sharing.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:01 PM   #822

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Every few months these are available at Aldis.

Neat to see, & just reach in.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #823

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Diesel Fuel Supply

The Short Story: I used a standard yellow diesel tank for the stand alone source for our auxiliary diesel heater.

The Details: Many hours of thought went into where to mount the clear included diesel fuel tank or to build and mount a custom tank to supply our heater. Further thought was given to exactly how much we were going to use it and would the fuel still be fresh. Realistically if we missed a spring or fall camping season the fuel could be stale and require draining.

If I were to mount a tank on the trailer then I would typically want to carry a jerry can to refill it while camping. It became obvious to just use the jerry can as the single source of fuel for the heater. Similar to how fuel is delivered to an out board motor. This also works well as this jerry can is used frequently to refuel my wife’s front end loader keeping the fuel fresh.

I used the kits included fuel pickup stem that I screwed into the top of the tank along with the supplied rubber gasket. Standard rubber fuel line was used to connect the boat style connectors to the trailer. A boat style hand primer pump was installed in line as well. The same rubber line connects the fuel filter then to the metal fuel pump. From the pump it is very important, as you know from viewing the videos, to use the hard white fuel line as pictured. From the box to the heater I ran the white fuel line inside some 1/2 inch irrigation pipe that I attached to the body mounting bolts.

When the fuel line is disconnected from the tank it rolls up into the remaining space in the ammunition style box under the trailer. This box also houses the metal fuel pump surrounded by foam and the clear fuel filter. The foam around the pump helps deaden the tic tic of the pump.

So the big yellow tank is less obvious outside the trailer and to keep it clean from dirt splash, I will be putting it inside a black garage bag that has a draw string.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6683.jpg   IMG_6676.jpg   IMG_6679.jpg   IMG_6680.jpg   IMG_6678.jpg  

IMG_6675.jpg   IMG_6681.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #824

Diesel Heater Results

We were able to test the Diesel Heater a week ago at Howard Lake where it was cool and damp. It worked great and well worth the $200.

As we don’t camp a lot in the real cold, our usage is to give the trailer a shot of heat in the morning and at night. Thus, we are usually sitting at the table in the front of our 19 having breakfast or reading. This is why I put the fuel pump (which is located near the fuel tank) at the rear of the trailer to have the “Tic Tic” it creates as far away as possible. Sitting in the front it is barely noticeable however you can hear it in the rear bed. If you want to sleep with it on I would suggest mounting the fuel pump as far away from the bed as possible. In the outside front storage box of a 19 would be great.

I also modified an old fridge rack to go over the top and end of the heater to allow air flow in, yet storage around. The outside of the heater never gets so hot that you can’t hold your hand on it

Nights are going down to just above freezing now and there are lots of other fall things to do so Eggscape is being put to bed. With the long dark nights approaching this will give me a chance to catch up on the list of modifications still to write up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7065.jpg   IMG_7066.jpg  

Old 11-12-2023, 10:51 AM   #825

Combination Lock for Eggscape

I would like to start this modification with a cautionary note.
Upon installing our new lock I became aware that the square dead bolt part of the lock had not been full engaged due to the Fiberglass shell being in the way. I had to cut the Fiberglass away to allow the full movement of the dead bolt which also allows the inside leaver to fully move to the left.
No matter what lock you have installed, everyone should check to see that your dead bolt is completely engaged and not held back.
See photos attached.

The Short Story: Installing an electric door lock is one of the most convenient things that we use on the trailer and we will never be without one again.

The Details: I used to be a ‘manual jack and keyed door lock’ kind of guy, but things have changed. After enjoying the power tongue jack for a few years now, I decided to throw caution to the wind and install a combination power door lock.

Knowing that I was not going to get any deals at the local RV shop, I searched on Amazon.CA to see what was available. I found that many of the locks all looked the same. Some even have remote key fobs and replacement number pads included.

From earlier research I knew it was important to get one that is completely metal as some have plastic handles on the inside that are prone to break. Also, some people have had to replace the number pad as it starts to show wear and tear. I would just like to point out that if your number pad is starting to show signs of wear…you can select a different code and use the other numbers that are probably still like new. Seems obvious, but it is a common complaint.

I found a lock kit that came with everything that I wanted for $158 Canadian and looked just like the ones much higher in price.

What I did find incorrect on this lock was the molded-in diagram on the battery cover showing battery polarity placement. It showed the batteries in parallel for 3 volts but you could clearly see it was wired in series for a total of 6 volts. You will see in the photos the red/black wires at one end and the shorting plate at the other.

It is so convenient now to just be able to unlock the trailer at anytime camping or at home without digging out the keys. If the key fob is available we try and use that in an effort to make the key pad last as long as possible.

These door locks also come on sale throughout the year from US distributors during events like Black Friday etc..

Good luck on your selection and install.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7522.jpg   IMG_7523.jpg   IMG_7524.jpg   IMG_7525.jpg   IMG_7526.jpg  

IMG_7527.jpg   IMG_7528.jpg  

Old 01-13-2024, 03:50 PM   #826

New Shower Hose for Eggscape

The Short Story: I replaced the hard unmanageable shower hose with a longer, nice flexible one for $14.

The Details: I have never been satisfied with the quality of the bathroom taps but that is a mod for another day. However, the supplied shower hose, being so stiff, applies undo stress to the plastic tube within the tap.

If you check post number 148 you will see the strain relief I used to help keep everything in one piece. However, there is a simpler and all around better solution. That is to replace the shower hose with a super flexible one.

The one I got from Amazon.ca is great and under $14 Canadian. This, in my opinion, should be standard from Escape and if not, something you should consider replacing upon receiving your trailer.

For those of you waiting for your trailer, in the picture below you can see the white shower hose and how it can stand up by itself.

Happy showers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8406.jpg   IMG_8411.jpg   IMG_8412.jpg  

Old 01-13-2024, 06:57 PM   #827
Site Team

I like the idea of a more fixable hose.

Is the hose so flexible that it will swing back and forth while traveling and rub the bathroom enclosure or does it hang far enough away that it will not rub the wall?
Old 01-13-2024, 08:54 PM   #828

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
I like the idea of a more fixable hose.

Is the hose so flexible that it will swing back and forth while traveling and rub the bathroom enclosure or does it hang far enough away that it will not rub the wall?
If you put the wand in the lav for travel the very flexible hose won't rub the wall. The hose is so flexible it lays in the lav just fine.

BTDT
Old 01-14-2024, 11:32 AM   #829

That is what we do as well. It just rolls up in a tight coil and sits in the sink during travel.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:51 PM   #830
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
If you put the wand in the lav for travel the very flexible hose won't rub the wall. The hose is so flexible it lays in the lav just fine.

BTDT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
That is what we do as well. It just rolls up in a tight coil and sits in the sink during travel.
10-4
Thanks
Old 03-30-2024, 08:26 AM   #831

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
All very nice mods. Your new trailer looks great.

Is the wall hanging storage attached with command strips? Did you order it online?
I too am looking for these pockets! Anybody know the source?
Capitan19! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:57 PM   #832

Aliexpress is where I purchased mine years ago. Just search “wall storage pockets”

I can’t find the exact ones right now but there are some great fun designs available.

I cut the tabs off the top and used a screw in each corner.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9182.jpg   IMG_9183.jpg   IMG_9181.jpg