Modifications to Olive, a 5.0 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
First on the video. I do plan on making one and will post the link when done. There are two things I want to finish before making including the drawers for the cabinet in the dinette area and the top step modification.

As far as the emergency breakaway system for the brakes:

Just to make sure I wasn't screwed up, I called ETI to see how they were wired. I learned a bit more in the process, so this was a great question.

1. The brakes work off the 7-pin and a brake controller. If the trailer gets disconnected, the cable pulls a pin out that enables the brakes and it gets power from the 12V DC side of the camper. ETI recommended disconnecting the 7-pin connector while camper is attached to truck and pull the pin. Drive forward slowly and see if camper wheels are locked up. I pulled the pin so you can see what it looks like. You can also see the front power distribution box that provides power. It gets power from the 7-pin and the camper DC side of electrical system. It is located just above the locking pin handle for the Andersen hitch. I ran out and tested for power just to ensure it was functioning. The two lugs I'm touching are the ones that have a cable that runs to the smaller box with the disconnect pin.

2. I connected the 50A fuse in the small compartment that houses the rocker switches to the 12v fuse box in the back. The wire was connected straight to the battery, so I connected to the fuse box as that is after the 24V to 12V converter. This could be an issue if the battery disconnect were turned to off, but I leave it on while traveling. I still need to label that 50A fuse cable on the panel, but it is the fuse second up from the bottom (clearly not labeled in pic, lol).

3. The 50A fuse box in the small compartment has two leads on each terminal. The first terminal with the bigger wire goes to the DC fuse box in the back of the camper and the other lead goes up to the brake power distribution box. This also feeds power to the exterior light that illuminates the propane storage area.

4. The other terminal has two leads that power the rocker switches and further on, the landing gear jack motors.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Brakes Emergency Breakaway Pwr Box.jpg   50A fuse in driversSide-front compartment.jpg   DC side breaker box.jpg   Emergency brake disconnect.jpg  
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Maybe a direct connection to the 24V array for this extraordinarily rare, hopefully never encountered, and inevitably involving lots of other trauma situation would be the easiest? Would 24v instead of 12v actually be a problem to actuate those brake magnets for this one-off emergency circumstance?
Double the design voltage would double the current, and so double the clamping force of the magnets to the drum, doubling everything through the mechanism. I suppose the wheel lock-up would be okay, and the magnets quickly getting hot might be okay... but if the breakaway switch were ever pulled while the tow vehicle was still connected the brake controller would get 24 volts applied to it. One of the ways of providing 12 V power (via the DC-to-DC converter or a separate 12 volt battery) seems like a safer approach to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'd not assumed the emergency breakaway feature was abandoned but Joel's reply left me wondering ... your Q's cut to the heart of it. Maybe a direct connection to the 24V array for this extraordinarily rare, hopefully never encountered, and inevitably involving lots of other trauma situation would be the easiest? Would 24v instead of 12v actually be a problem to actuate those brake magnets for this one-off emergency circumstance?
It shouldn’t be a one-off experience. You are supposed to regularly test the breakaway switch to ensure proper operation as outlined in Owner’s Manual.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #44

I just finished the top step mod and the video for the electrical system. Will make a video covering the 5.0 in totality after I finish building the drawers for the dinette cabinet.

https://youtu.be/dA2z1B5kJos
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
Old 09-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
If you run into us while camping, come say hi. Our Olive is unique and you can find it via the graphics my daughter also painted for me before leaving. I retired after 25 yrs from Navy Special Operations, so that will help explain the why. Hahaha. Painting ones camper may not be for everyone, but it was right for me.
I love those Mods I don't think they are in my future but I am so inspired as to the possibilies. Thank you for your service. I hope to see Olive in person on the road someday.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #46

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Any updates to Olive?
Old 09-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #47

There are a few more mods I'd like to do but have put those on hold for the time being. We took a week plus 2000 mile trip earlier in the summer and just got back from a weekend outing. I am continually impressed by how much we really do enjoy hanging out in Olive. After a bit more than a year and five trips, we look forward to many more journeys.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:59 AM   #48

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Hi Joel,
I so much appreciate your detailed write-ups & pics of your mods.
I'm in line for a 5.0 & trying to plan out as much as possible ahead of time in terms of specs & mods. Alan/CenTex pointed me to your counter extension mod, & he was absolutely correct that it has helped me think through some of my ideas. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this.
My rather mundane question for you is the details on your flooring choice. Is it Mannington Havanna Smoke Habanero? Appologies if you have shared this somewhere, but my searching of your posts didn't turn it up.
Happy camping!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #49

Hi Lorraine,

Had to find our build sheet to remember what it was.
Havana Tobacco #4041
Joel
Old 02-16-2022, 07:59 PM   #50

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
Hi Lorraine,

Had to find our build sheet to remember what it was.
Havana Tobacco #4041
Joel
Thanks so for checking! I've narrowed my choice down to a couple of the Mannington wood plank looks, so this is most helpful.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote