New Awning & Rain - No Problem - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, most awnings are for shade protection, not water.
I have used my awning for a sub share before, but most folks I know mostly used it for rain. Sun and warmth is often desired. I imagine it depends on where you are camping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi Jim - Here's something we're already thinking about for our new 5.0 to solve the issue - a do-it-yourself telescoping awning pole. We'll add a "T" connection at the top with PVC extensions instead of the hardhat (nice touch, though). Here's a link on how to make one: Telescoping Pvc Tent or Awning Poles: 5 Steps
Please note, this is all my conjecture as we don't even have our 5.0 (July 19th!) and haven't tried making one of these poles yet.

I must say, I'm kind of wishing I was getting the old, traditional type awning so we could have adjusted it according to the sun's angle or during rainy weather. Sometimes mechanized, automatic technology isn't all it's cracked up to be. We'll see. Hopefully we'll adjust to the new type awning.
John
I bought a good couple good adjustable poles a few years ago for setting up tarps while camping, but just looked for a couple more last year for our at our land and could not find them. Making our own could be a good option
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
If we plan to sit under the awning when it is raining, I will use the "Eric get off your butt" method, of getting up every few minutes and manually dump off the accumulated water.
I did just that for 30 minutes, then tired of it and threw on my train gear and went looking for a solution.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did just that for 30 minutes, then tired of it and threw on my train gear and went looking for a solution.
You're younger, us old guys are supposed to get up and move around every few minutes, or we might not ever get up again......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Perhaps just a rumor, but I heard through the grapevine that some of the problems people experienced with the new awnings not retracting properly (and even resulting in damage) could have been due to the owners tying various things to the awning while extended (sun screens, insect netting, etc., etc.), and sometimes even anchoring those screens/nettings at the bottom. Then when the awning tries to auto-retract in sudden foul weather conditions, the extra weight of the hanging things, and/or the downward pull from the anchors, twists the awning all out of whack while retracting. Moral of the story is to not do or attach anything to the awning that might alter it's ability to retract correctly - especially if you leave the campsite with the awning extended. Again, just a rumor, but unfortunately, it sounds like something that could happen if you're not careful. So be careful out there....
Speaking as one who had our awning messed up, we never had anything attached to it. It was retracting once and I saw that it wasn't going to clear one of the tabs. I pushed it up just in time. It then worked properly for the next 10-20 times before retracting and getting caught under the tab screwing it up pretty good. Dometic covered the replacement with no question. Not sure about the others though as theirs may have been due to hooking stuff on to them but ours just did it on its own.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
John and Joy, if you do something like that, make very sure that you have turned the power off to the awning. If it auto retracts and those poles interfere with that process you may destroy your awning.

If we plan to sit under the awning when it is raining, I will use the "Eric get off your butt" method, of getting up every few minutes and manually dump off the accumulated water.
Hi - I'm thinking we'll always extend the awning, turn the power off, then retract the awning as soon as we're done with it. Or, the awning pole could also just be used to push up on the awning whenever enough water begins to accumulate (using the "John, get off your but" method. Perhaps just having a good ol' push broom on hand to push up on the awning fabric would also work. Anyhow, I'm sure we'll figure it out as we travel along.
Thanks for the advise!
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
I'm working on my build sheet for the 19'. I thought I read in a thread that you can request the old manual awning? Yes or no?
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm working on my build sheet for the 19'. I thought I read in a thread that you can request the old manual awning? Yes or no?
I think you can only request a manual version of the new awning style. The old manual awning had vertical arms that folded out at each end and supported the top. The new manual awning has no vertical arms and no motor. The new electric awning has no vertical arms and is powered by a motor. From my perspective, the only issue with the new awning is rain, and deleting the motor from this unit to make it manual will not do anything for you except exercise and then there will be no safety mechanism if a wind comes up and you are preoccupied in the washroom or snoozing in your reclining chair.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, with the 2nG mold, there is an indent along the roof for the awning case in the 17/19/21 models. The old style would not work. Either an auto/manual awning or none at all.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The only thing I'd worry about by putting a pole in the middle to raise up the center for water run off, is the awning does actually stretch. For those with the case awnings on Casitas... and the one I had put on my Scamp, we had to be careful of the edges which didn't have any material folded over and stitched... after a while it got very wavy compared to the center portion of the awning.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or turn the awning power off.

That is exactly what I do...

Jim, great minds think alike. I did the pole thing too, this past week. Glad I am on the right track. Thanks Buddy!

Red Dog

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only thing I'd worry about by putting a pole in the middle to raise up the center for water run off, is the awning does actually stretch.
This was a concern of mine. I put very little pressure on the hard hat against the awning material, just enough to raise it a wee bit, and mostly just to hold it there.

There is WAY more stretch on the fabric if you allow the awning to load up with water. It is more important to eliminate this in my mind, and I do want the awning to be useful while raining. I love sitting under it feeling all secure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
That is exactly what I do...

Jim, great minds think alike. I did the pole thing too, this past week. Glad I am on the right track. Thanks Buddy!

Red Dog
We are smart cookies, eh?

I plan to elaborate on this setup a bit. I would like to spread out the support area against the awning fabric. I was thinking of fabricating something slightly arched, maybe 4' across and up to 1' wide, that extended from side to side to near the awning arms. The pole I have is great, though one could be made easily too, as it adjusts in 2" increments. It can reach from the ground, or be set on the picnic table. Something like this would take less than a minute to get set up.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I wonder if this cargo support pole from Harbor Freight ($14.99) would be a good solution to hold up the awning. It would probably require an appropriate curved attachment to the top. They telescope and adjust from 45-114 inches. One more thing to drag along, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Pole Support.jpg  
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
This is the 1" diameter, 6-12' telescoping pole that we use for our TV antennae, but it seems it would also work for this purpose, if one wanted. One end is threaded for standard paint rollers, etc., and it seems it would be fairly easy to fabricate a broader weight-bearing surface to screw onto that end. That said, isn't the new awning designed to slope to one of the front corners for continuous drainage to prevent accumulation of water? Does it not work as designed?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-6...-Pole/50053469
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yes, you can go the manual awning route. I got one on my 17B and it works great. Very happy with it.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #36

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Yes, you can go the manual awning route. I got one on my 17B and it works great. Very happy with it.

Me too.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
So, is there a means of sloping the new manual awning? Or, is just missing the motor apparatus?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Let's be clear, your awning is manual, but it is not the old style with arms??
Old 07-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let's be clear, your awning is manual, but it is not the old style with arms??

Yes sir....basically a crank out version of the power Dometic. Here is a link to some pics I took after pick up in March.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...pics-9859.html
Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, is there a means of sloping the new manual awning? Or, is just missing the motor apparatus?
Yes, you can slope the manual awning to either side if you like.