Patandlinda Escape 19 modifications - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #61

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Shhh let me know ! The Honda works great though . (snip)
Jeez, am I gonna have to frisk you to make sure you're not walking off with my generator when we camp together? I'm already gonna have to frisk Linda over my cat towels.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Jeez, am I gonna have to frisk you to make sure you're not walking off with my generator when we camp together? I'm already gonna have to frisk Linda over my cat towels.
Nah . Just keep your eye on Linda though . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Pat, the grille style vent that's included in the SAM-1 hasn't leaked on ours, but I must admit it looked like it would when compared to the stock one which was fully hooded.

Here's what I did to reduce any chance of water getting in. First, I cut the black air outlet on the fan assembly by a little less than an inch, so that once the range hood was in place, it touched the screen material on the new vent, but didn't protrude too far.

Then, once the range hood was back in place, from outside, I removed the Phillips screws that hold the center grill in place on the vent, and removed it. Not the whole vent cover - just the middle insert.

Now I had direct access to the air outlet on the fan assembly from outside the trailer. I took some pvc pieces and cut them to fit around the black air outlet all the way around, and caulked them in place - so that the only place for any water to possibly get in would be through the air outlet.

Then, I just put the grill insert of the outside vent cover back in place. This worked very well. The pvc pieces were probably not necessary, but I suppose it was peace of mind.

One other thing - If yours is like mine, you'll find a piece of foam wrapped in some of the wall vinyl, that is glued to the back of the range hood and acts as a "gasket". Leave that in place. That way, once the range hood is reinstalled, it will fit tightly against the interior wall.

I did it a bit different than Dave, in that I did use the foam gasket that came with the vent. Works well. As for UV, the new vent is supposed to be less susceptible to yellowing. Time will tell.

Hope all this makes sense. Feel free to follow up if needed.

EDIT: nice work on the floor! Question - how did you deal with the screen door guide rail along the floor by the entrance? Did it require removing the screen door or just the bottom rail?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
getting ready to install Sam -1 fan upgrade , you mentioned PVC , can you explain exactly what kind you used , not understanding . Also will post a couple of pictures , in the instructions they are saying not to cut a red power wire ? need a better understanding on what I can cut and reattach if you could help with this . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg   DSC_0002.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
getting ready to install Sam -1 fan upgrade , you mentioned PVC , can you explain exactly what kind you used , not understanding . Also will post a couple of pictures , in the instructions they are saying not to cut a red power wire ? need a better understanding on what I can cut and reattach if you could help with this . Pat
Pat, I used some small pieces of pvc sheet - maybe a 16th of an inch thick, surrounding the black "snout" or exhaust, with the new outside vent cover. It probably wasn't necessary, I just did it for aesthetics. It now looks white when looking at it from outside, except for the little exhaust. The inner part of the exterior vent cover can be removed in order to do that.

NOTE: If you're keeping the original exterior vent cover, you don't need to do any of that, and even if you use the new vent cover, the pvc I mentioned was just my add on for cosmetic reasons.

What I did have to do was to trim that black exhaust a bit so it didn't protrude too far - just to where it touches the "screen" material on the new exterior vent. I think I wound up trimming about 3/8" or so. Test fit it on yours to determine how much if any you need to trim. Sorry, but I don't have photos and the trailer is currently stored. As long as there's room for the little black exhaust when the new exterior vent is in place, you're fine.

On the wiring, I don't recall exactly - Larry at FOP walked me through it. But, I do know that in your Heng Hood photo, your black wire is positive and your white wire is negative. On the SAM-1 pigtail, there's a fan lead, a light lead, and a ground lead. The White wire on the SAM-1 is ground, but I don't remember on the SAM-1 which wire was for fan and which for light. The idea is to unplug the pigtail, wire the two hood wires to the three on the pigtail, and then just plug the pigtail back in when you install. The instruction sheet is a bit muddy, but definitely read it. Call Larry at FOP. I had to. (810) 969-4450
Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #65

Quote:
Pat, I used some small pieces of pvc sheet - maybe a 16th of an inch thick, surrounding the black "snout" or exhaust, with the new outside vent cover. It probably wasn't necessary, I just did it for aesthetics. It now looks white when looking at it from outside, except for the little exhaust. The inner part of the exterior vent cover can be removed in order to do that.

NOTE: If you're keeping the original exterior vent cover, you don't need to do any of that, and even if you use the new vent cover, the pvc I mentioned was just my add on for cosmetic reasons.

What I did have to do was to trim that black exhaust a bit so it didn't protrude too far - just to where it touches the "screen" material on the new exterior vent. I think I wound up trimming about 3/8" or so. Test fit it on yours to determine how much if any you need to trim. Sorry, but I don't have photos and the trailer is currently stored. As long as there's room for the little black exhaust when the new exterior vent is in place, you're fine.

On the wiring, I don't recall exactly - Larry at FOP walked me through it. But, I do know that in your Heng Hood photo, your black wire is positive and your white wire is negative. On the SAM-1 pigtail, there's a fan lead, a light lead, and a ground lead. The White wire on the SAM-1 is ground, but I don't remember on the SAM-1 which wire was for fan and which for light. The idea is to unplug the pigtail, wire the two hood wires to the three on the pigtail, and then just plug the pigtail back in when you install. The instruction sheet is a bit muddy, but definitely read it. Call Larry at FOP. I had to. (810) 969-4450
Thankyou Robert for responding . I did call , they must be off due to the 4 th . I want to get this together . So our red coming from the cabinet is positive and goes to their red on the pigtail . Need to make a jumper off the red to go to their black for the light . Just hook up the heng's White to their white for the negative . I can just touch wires in the butt connectors and turn on the 12 volt to see if it is right ? Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #66

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Thankyou Robert for responding . I did call , they must be off due to the 4 th . I want to get this together . So our red coming from the cabinet is positive and goes to their red on the pigtail . Need to make a jumper off the red to go to their black for the light . Just hook up the heng's White to their white for the negative . I can just touch wires in the butt connectors and turn on the 12 volt to see if it is right ? Pat
Pat: I wouldn't just touch wires. If you really need it I can look at my installation within the hour and get you the wiring colors to match up. I remember it being a bit tricky. Let me know.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, the white on the sam-1 pigtail is ground, so the black wire coming from the cabinet would connect to the white wire from the hood, and the white wire from the sam-1. Trying to remember the rest but dang it, I don't.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #68
Site Team

PAT: Just got off the phone with Larry. Call him back and he will walk you through it.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
PAT: Just got off the phone with Larry. Call him back and he will walk you through it.
THEN, document all the tech stuff for those of us that are thinking this may be a mod in our futures.

Thanks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: I wouldn't just touch wires. If you really need it I can look at my installation within the hour and get you the wiring colors to match up. I remember it being a bit tricky. Let me know.
That would great if you could . The only thing I have down is the negative . Still confused on the 2 wires from the Sam-1 Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #71

Quote:
Robert he did call back and he is supposed to send something cause I am still confused and don't want to cut anything until I know it's right . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
THEN, document all the tech stuff for those of us that are thinking this may be a mod in our futures.

Thanks!
That's a great idea because this is a little confusing . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #73

Quote:
That would great if you could . The only thing I have down is the negative . Still confused on the 2 wires from the Sam-1 Pat
Pat: The red off the SAM-1 pigtail attaches to the black coming off the bottom lug of the Heng's "fan" switch. The black off the SAM-1 pigtail goes to the black coming off the bottom lug on the Heng's "light" switch. The white off the pigtail connects right to the trailer wiring BLACK (ground as per Robert). The other trailer wire RED that is 12V power goes right to the black coming off the TOP lug of the Heng's "light" switch which is jumpered over to the fan switch to provide power to both. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Pat: The red off the SAM-1 pigtail attaches to the black coming off the bottom lug of the Heng's "fan" switch. The black off the SAM-1 pigtail goes to the black coming off the bottom lug on the Heng's "light" switch. The white off the pigtail connects right to the trailer wiring BLACK (ground as per Robert). The other trailer wire RED that is 12V power goes right to the black coming off the TOP lug of the Heng's "light" switch which is jumpered over to the fan switch to provide power to both. Hope this helps.
Thankyou going to print your instructions out . Going to let my brain rest a minute first . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #75

Quote:
Quick question ? I need to get it apart . The 2 wires from the cabinet , can I cut those to remove the hood to work on it ? Or do I go farther down to cut where it goes to black and white ?does it matter where I detach to be able to move vent to work on it ? Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Quick question ? I need to get it apart . The 2 wires from the cabinet , can I cut those to remove the hood to work on it ? Or do I go farther down to cut where it goes to black and white ?does it matter where I detach to be able to move vent to work on it ? Pat
Yes, you can cut the wires coming from the cabinet. Just cut them near the terminals that connect them to the hood so you have as much slack as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Pat: The jumper I mention in the last part is a stock Heng's wire that you just leave alone. You should see it across the top switch lugs. I don't want you to think you need to provide it. You don't need to do any wiring directly to the stock switches. Use the existing wiring leads and connect with butt connectors as I describe above.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #78

Quote:
Pat: The jumper I mention in the last part is a stock Heng's wire that you just leave alone. You should see it across the top switch lugs. I don't want you to think you need to provide it. You don't need to do any wiring directly to the stock switches. Use the existing wiring leads and connect with butt connectors as I describe above.
Ok now here is a dumb question . Going to follow all your instructions except how do I attach wires to lugs ?Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Ok now here is a dumb question . Going to follow all your instructions except how do I attach wires to lugs ?Pat
If you mean to the butt connectors on the Sam-1 pigtail, you just strip, insert and crimp. If you're talking about the other wiring connections, I just used wirenuts.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #80

Quote:
You don't need to. That's what I was trying to explain above. Just wire to the existing black wire leads off of the existing Heng's switches. Use butt connectors.