Patandlinda Escape 19 modifications - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You don't need to. That's what I was trying to explain above. Just wire to the existing black wire leads off of the existing Heng's switches. Use butt connectors.
But I not supposed to cut wires or touch what is there ? Wish you were Ikea with a wiring picture . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #82

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
But I not supposed to cut wires or touch what is there ? Wish you were Ikea with a wiring picture . Pat
Pat: Look at the picture on page 5 of this document. This is done on a Heng's hood and is exactly how you need to wire and agrees with what I explained above. The white wire "leaving" the photo goes to the trailer ground wire (black) and the black wire "leaving" the photo goes to trailer positive (red). The pigtail with the connector just plugs in and is there for convenience. I know it seems like a bit of a squirrels nest but do it exactly as shown and I describe and it will work.

www.rvvent.com/DavidJSAM-1Install.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Pat: Look at the picture on page 5 of this document. This is done on a Heng's hood and is exactly how you need to wire and agrees with what I explained above. The white wire "leaving" the photo goes to the trailer ground wire (black) and the black wire "leaving" the photo goes to trailer positive (red). The pigtail with the connector just plugs in and is there for convenience. I know it seems like a bit of a squirrels nest but do it exactly as shown and I describe and it will work.

That's the one Dave. Man, it would sure be easier to see how I wired mine if the trailer wasn't an hour away.

Pat, do it exactly like the photo and it will work.

As Dave mentioned,

The white wire leaving the photo connects to the black wire coming out of the cabinet.

The black wire leaving the photo connects to the red wire coming out of the cabinet.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #84

Quote:

Dave beautiful that is what I needed. I removed the spot welds and cut the back for the new fan box . Just need to attach to vent now . Then do my wiring . I may not get it finished until tomorrow because I have the power off and I need light . In the the home stretch now . Which electrical box did you use ? Cut down the heng's to fit or the one that came with it ? Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's the one Dave. Man, it would sure be easier to see how I wired mine if the trailer wasn't an hour away.

Pat, do it exactly like the photo and it will work.

As Dave mentioned,

The white wire leaving the photo connects to the black wire coming out of the cabinet.

The black wire leaving the photo connects to the red wire coming out of the cabinet.
That 's your power right ? Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #86
Site Team

Quote:
That 's your power right ? Pat
Yep. Red from cabinet to black (positive) and black from cabinet to white (negative).

As for the wiring cover, I used the one in the kit and cut it down with some tin snips. Cut so I could fold tabs on the ends so it would fit in there snugly. No need for fasteners, well, at least I didn't use any there.

Curious, are you going with the stock exterior vent or using the one from the kit?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #87

Quote:
Dave beautiful that is what I needed. I removed the spot welds and cut the back for the new fan box . Just need to attach to vent now . Then do my wiring . I may not get it finished until tomorrow because I have the power off and I need light . In the the home stretch now . Which electrical box did you use ? Cut down the heng's to fit or the one that came with it ? Pat
Pat: Here is a diagram I sketched up that might also help to tie it all together. The only connections you need to make are where I highlighted. The green line at the top right is the existing cabinet ground that I showed for completeness, but it is optional as far as I'm concerned. I didn't reconnect mine and it works fine.

Your power is as I show it. The connections to the trailer red and black feed installed by ETI above the existing hood. I just noticed a slight difference from the picture and my diagram. The picture shows the black power line (that ties to trailer red) coming off what is labeled the fan switch. Mine comes off the light switch. It doesn't matter, it is merely providing 12V power to both top switch lugs via the jumper wire.

I cut down the existing Heng's electrical cover to fit because the one supplied seemed awkward to try to use. You need to get the length and the angle right but mine just fits snug between the front inside lip of the hood and the SAM-1 fan box. I used a little metal HVAC tape on each side for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1625.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #88
Site Team

Nice. Save that diagram Dave. Will make the next installer's life much easier.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #89

Quote:
Yep. Red from cabinet to black (positive) and black from cabinet to white (negative).

As for the wiring cover, I used the one in the kit and cut it down with some tin snips. Cut so I could fold tabs on the ends so it would fit in there snugly. No need for fasteners, well, at least I didn't use any there.

Curious, are you going with the stock exterior vent or using the one from the kit?
Since you fellows assured me it didn't leak I will use the one that came with the kit . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #90
Site Team

Quote:
Since you fellows assured me it didn't leak I will use the one that came with the kit . Pat
Sounds good. You'll see what I was talking about with the black plastic exhaust on the fan. Since the walls of the Escape are thinner than a regular stick built rv, once the range hood is back in place the exhaust sticks out a bit too far. Trimmed it with a Dremel and it worked fine.

You can reuse the "gasket" that was on the back of the range hood or just make up your own with some foam. The gasket that comes with the fan kit is designed for a range hood which butts up to a vertical wall, but you'll need a bit more thickness than that because the wall is curving away.

I guess on the 2nd Generation Escapes that would not be necessary because the walls are vertical.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #91

Quote:
Pat: Here is a diagram I sketched up that might also help to tie it all together. The only connections you need to make are where I highlighted. The green line at the top right is the existing cabinet ground that I showed for completeness, but it is optional as far as I'm concerned. I didn't reconnect mine and it works fine.

Your power is as I show it. The connections to the trailer red and black feed installed by ETI above the existing hood. I just noticed a slight difference from the picture and my diagram. The picture shows the black power line (that ties to trailer red) coming off what is labeled the fan switch. Mine comes off the light switch. It doesn't matter, it is merely providing 12V power to both top switch lugs via the jumper wire.

I cut down the existing Heng's electrical cover to fit because the one supplied seemed awkward to try to use. You need to get the length and the angle right but mine just fits snug between the front inside lip of the hood and the SAM-1 fan box. I used a little metal HVAC tape on each side for good measure.
Your hired ! Thankyou for the pictures and drawing ! I think I will also use the heng's . Mainly because it is stainless . Can't wait to get back to the install and hopefully finish . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #92

Quote:
Nice. Save that diagram Dave. Will make the next installer's life much easier.
Yes would of saved a lot . The wiring picture and drawing maybe put in the files on the forum to save a headache for others . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Yes would of saved a lot . The wiring picture and drawing maybe put in the files on the forum to save a headache for others . Pat
Now you see why I couldn't remember how I did it. It's only a few wires but I was scratching my head. [emoji6]
Old 07-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #94

Quote:
Sounds good. You'll see what I was talking about with the black plastic exhaust on the fan. Since the walls of the Escape are thinner than a regular stick built rv, once the range hood is back in place the exhaust sticks out a bit too far. Trimmed it with a Dremel and it worked fine.

You can reuse the "gasket" that was on the back of the range hood or just make up your own with some foam. The gasket that comes with the fan kit is designed for a range hood which butts up to a vertical wall, but you'll need a bit more thickness than that because the wall is curving away.

I guess on the 2nd Generation Escapes that would not be necessary because the walls are vertical.
There was some foam on back which I left alone . Can I put their's on too or I guess I'll see when I get to it . Yup have a dremel . Cut the opening in the back of vent stainless with it too. Made a nice cut . Love that little tool . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #95

Quote:
Now you see why I couldn't remember how I did it. It's only a few wires but I was scratching my head. [emoji6]
The older I get if I don't write things down I can't remember . You should see the notes I have for this . I appreciate the time you took Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
The older I get if I don't write things down I can't remember . You should see the notes I have for this . I appreciate the time you took Pat
Well, it was Dave that came up with the exact wiring. I was going ummm....

But thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #97

Quote:

But thanks.
to Dave and Robert ! Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #98

Quote:

But thanks.
Honestly I had no idea how I wired it until I went and checked the trailer. The instructions that come with the kit are pretty rough in my opinion with confusing pictures that are not specifically for a Heng's hood. I think the only way I figured it out was with the write up I found that I linked in post #82 that is for the Heng's hood and just making sense of the actual wiring.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #99
Site Team

Now go get it installed Pat. You will be impressed with the volume of air and the QUIET. It's a relatively simple mod but it makes a huge difference when you cook inside.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #100

Quote:
Now go get it installed Pat. You will be impressed with the volume of air and the QUIET. It's a relatively simple mod but it makes a huge difference when you cook inside.
Will tomorrow for sure . Now I can't wait . Hope I can sleep . Pat