Ron's Top 10 Mods - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Personally for everyone’s safety I would have liked the spare tire mount welded properly to the frame and have no bolts at all. I however have the fear that someone is going to drive that spare tire right into the back of our trailer. Nice to have a bumper but if the tire is sticking out beyond, little help the bumper will do until it is to late. For this reason I moved our spare to under the front tongue years ago. It was great that I could just unbolt the rear mount and remove it. Like Ron, I would never just count on one method of holding the tire in place and have a safety chain as well.

I would have also liked the propane tank cross frame supports welded on instead of screwed on. The picture below shows the rust forming and the simple act of not cleaning drill fillings for the screwed on supports. The picture was taken less than 3 months after receiving our trailer and rust was forming. It has happened to people in the past that screws rust to the point that they no longer hold the supports in place. Not a big fan of propane tanks dragging on the ground making sparks.

If I get the ear of Karl or Harrison this year these will be a few of my talking points.
Excellent modifications

I agree with welding the tank supports. The first time I went to refill my propane tanks, I found the same rust issue. After removing the rust and painting the exposed metal, I used stainless steel screws to replace the rusted ones I removed.

What about the screw design that ETI uses to attach the propane trays to the frame? Any thoughts?
Not only are the screws non-stainless steel, the threads are very coarse and they're small diameter. There doesn't seem to be much of a purchase. They use the same type of screw for the ground cables. If they're self-drilling, I would think they're a time saver for them.
Is there a better fastener?

I hope they will listen to their customers. Great ideas from some very knowledgeable owners.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Once the crossmembers are welded to the frame then you can drill through them and attach with bolts, lock washers and nuts to secure the pan. However I attached the pan with 4 - 1 1/4 beads of weld on top of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
1C636A16-6BA8-4056-ADDF-7A1DBDBE1A4A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:38 PM   #63

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Missouri winter weather, I had to jump on the nice day…
I was able to repurpose the old tire mount and reach in to bolt it down tight. 2/2s glued onto the sides to stop any wobble.
Little bit of black paint on the drill holes and it’s about as good as the rest of the metal on the camper that has holes drilled into it.
Attached Thumbnails
B7591932-DFBA-40A2-B161-CB5D6A9E5714.jpg   521ED876-1FFF-48E4-B84D-69FFD0FBB853.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #64

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Missouri winter weather, I had to jump on the nice day…
I was able to repurpose the old tire mount and reach in to bolt it down tight. 2/2s glued onto the sides to stop any wobble.
Little bit of black paint on the drill holes and it’s about as good as the rest of the metal on the camper that has holes drilled into it.
Look at you go! Nice solution using the existing mount.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:56 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I would have also liked the propane tank cross frame supports welded on instead of screwed on. The picture below shows the rust forming and the simple act of not cleaning drill fillings for the screwed on supports. The picture was taken less than 3 months after receiving our trailer and rust was forming. It has happened to people in the past that screws rust to the point that they no longer hold the supports in place. Not a big fan of propane tanks dragging on the ground making sparks.
Early trailers have the propane tank trays welded to the frame. They should go back to that or they need higher quality fasteners.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Repurpose indeed, what a simple way to move the spare forward on a 5.0TA

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a guy who has redundant everything including two 12 volt batteries.

I'd never carry a load suspended like that without a safety chain. Even though all the trucks that I've had only suspended the spare on a cable.

Ron
I bolted mine through a metal cross support and the floor of the trailer. Fortunately I was able to put these bolts in the under stair storage. I used a Lippert winch and nothing else. Until this year needing the spare because of bad tire wear was the first I used the winch other that to check the tire was snug, and it always was. No problems, it even worked fine following you down rough Mexican trails.

I had considered mounting on the pin box as I have seen on a few other types of fifth wheels, but for me the look was not that appealing. I am not big on the look on the rear bumper either. I like the spare hidden away, I have only used it once now since owning an Escape since early 2019.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have only used it once now since owning an Escape since early 2019.
Typo Jim. I assume you meant early 2009!
Old 01-16-2023, 11:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Typo Jim. I assume you meant early 2009!
Just off by one.

But you are correct.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #70

Quote:

No problems, it even worked fine following you down rough Mexican trails.
Who was following who. Looks like you disappearing in the distance.

I made reference to your rear box earlier in this thread when I posted photos of mine. If I had a 5.0TA I'd definitely have a box like yours.

I find that with so many new Escape owners now a lot of them are unaware of some of the useful mods that have been done.

Why don't you post a photo of your rear box. I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested in seeing it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11-02-2019 6-37-41 PM_0037_resize.jpg  
Old 01-16-2023, 01:21 PM   #71

Trailer: 2023 21C
I replaced the bolts in the propane tank tray with stainless steel expanding nuts in the frame and bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
33JF40_GC01.jpg  
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #72

Quote:
I bolted mine through a metal cross support and the floor of the trailer. Fortunately I was able to put these bolts in the under stair storage. I used a Lippert winch and nothing else. Until this year needing the spare because of bad tire wear was the first I used the winch other that to check the tire was snug, and it always was. No problems, it even worked fine following you down rough Mexican trails.

I had considered mounting on the pin box as I have seen on a few other types of fifth wheels, but for me the look was not that appealing. I am not big on the look on the rear bumper either. I like the spare hidden away, I have only used it once now since owning an Escape since early 2019.
I might’ve gone that way if not for having flashbacks from 35 years ago when things were not as smooth as they now are.
Spare underneath in a pickup, flat tire on the way to the new job and it wouldn’t budge.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #73

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Jim posted his cargo box and spare tire relocation a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Who was following who. Looks like you disappearing in the distance.

I made reference to your rear box earlier in this thread when I posted photos of mine. If I had a 5.0TA I'd definitely have a box like yours.

I find that with so many new Escape owners now a lot of them are unaware of some of the useful mods that have been done.

Why don't you post a photo of your rear box. I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested in seeing it.

Ron
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:49 AM   #74

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... I had considered mounting on the pin box as I have seen on a few other types of fifth wheels, but for me the look was not that appealing. I am not big on the look on the rear bumper either. I like the spare hidden away, I have only used it once now since owning an Escape since early 2019.
I have to agree on all points, IMO your solution is both KISS and elegant.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #75

Thanks for posting that Perry. There may be many newer 5.0TA owners who weren't aware of those two possibilities.

I'm definitely a great fan of a rear box now that I've seen that there're not only easy access but also that they're a very efficient shape for storage.

Ron
Old 01-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Ouch. Has anyone alerted ETI to this issue of weak spare tire brackets and inferior hardware? Those brackets take a beating on the rear bumper with all the bouncing and cantilevered weight. I would hate to see a spare tire come off and damage a following vehicle or possibly even kill someone.
I received an answer from Dustin, he said it’s not a common thing, so thats good to hear. He’s sending a replacement. I’m playing with the idea to use it for strapping down a couple of chairs and a small table. Thanks again for the bolt on idea, it’s very solid now…
Ron mentioned to drill a weep hole in the bumper, I did on one end and even more water came out. Now I suppose I should do the same all around the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
14C75B8C-B536-42FE-A110-A621A606E852.jpg  
Old 01-18-2023, 07:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Thanks, Perry, A bit busy right now finishing my forever home and haven't responded here very well.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:13 AM   #78

Quote:
Thanks, Perry, A bit busy right now finishing my forever home and haven't responded here very well.
That’s really nice, and could really be helpful. Especially on a 5.0, much of truck bed storage is used up by the hitch.
I suppose the key is in choosing the right box and storing the right equipment in it to keep within the weight limits. I asked Dustin in parts and the 150 limit didn’t include the weight of the spare tire, and it’s not light. With the spare gone that’s at least a 50 pounds extra amount to play with.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:33 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
That’s really nice, and could really be helpful. Especially on a 5.0, much of truck bed storage is used up by the hitch.
I suppose the key is in choosing the right box and storing the right equipment in it to keep within the weight limits. I asked Dustin in parts and the 150 limit didn’t include the weight of the spare tire, and it’s not light. With the spare gone that’s at least a 50 pounds extra amount to play with.
As you might expect the rear receiver can handle much more than 150# but due to liability they apply that limit. Tammy was directly quoted in a post confirming this around 2016. Was originally rated for 300#. The main concern is impacting the weight distribution especially on bumper pull models. Light on the tongue will promote sway. The original owner had our receiver reinforced at the factory by request but Escape will not do that anymore.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #80

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Nice Boxes

I am working on adding a Bennet Box to the back of our 5.0. I found these nice truck under bed boxes, there are a lot of different options. I like this one, https://leonardaccessories.com/produ...ku=BPC-1706845
I like the smooth aluminum better than the diamond plate and powder coated white.
Planning to add two receivers to the bumper like Jim Bennet did and putting the box on top of the bumper for additional support and to get it as high off the ground as possible.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote