Tongue Box - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2023, 08:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I agree the cost of the storage box is crazy, but I really find the one on our 19' worth it.
I found the batteries sitting on the bottom took up too much room so I sunk a battery box down through the bottom between the frame rails, supported the box with steel brackets, it provides so much more room.
Neat idea!
Old 02-13-2023, 08:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Ron - So the tail light was the cause of all your electrical problems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Absolutely, any moisture near the BLISS module precipitates it telling all the other modules, help, I have a problem and an incredible number of things stop working.
Ron’s original thread on the topic
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ing-23669.html
Old 02-14-2023, 07:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Love the mod. My only concern is a possible strike from road debris. You might put a metal shield in front and under the battery compartment hanging down.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #24

Trailer: '22 21c
I too was planning to get the eti box, but was dissuaded by the seemingly outrageous cost. I found this one, which is similar to the op’s.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

This box was easy to install, 3/8” ss bolts, washers and nuts through the flange already there on the frame. I used a piece of 2x4 for extra support at the drilled bolt holes on each side, and to raise the box just above the e2 brackets. I do have to snug up the bolts occasionally, (this post reminded me to do so prior to an up coming trip, thx).

The lid latch is front center, just behind the lp tank cover near the top, so I cut an opening in the cover to easily reach the latch from inside the cover.

Chocks, leveling pads, etc. are kept inside at hand, along with extension cords, tank treatment, and other extras. It also makes for a nice place to stow the e2 bars when parked.

As mentioned by the person whose storage box is a thing of beauty, tight turns require caution. I checked for near 90 deg and it was close, but no contact. Also, I did not take the time when installing to protect where the bolthead meets the aluminum, but plan to check as time goes on if corrosion occurs.
Attached Thumbnails
e2 bracket.jpg   box spacer.jpg   latch.jpg   whats in the box.jpg  
ransohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:59 PM   #25

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransohm View Post
I used a piece of 2x4 for extra support at the drilled bolt holes on each side, and to raise the box just above the e2 brackets. I do have to snug up the bolts occasionally, (this post reminded me to do so prior to an up coming trip, thx).
Do you think some nylon spacers or a plastic 2x4 instead of the wood might be better in weather than a "wood" one.
https://www.bearboardlumber.com/plastic-2x4-boards/
Old 02-16-2023, 05:13 PM   #26

Trailer: '22 21c
Definitely! When I first installed it this summer, we were getting ready to leave for a trip.. so I admit to taking short cuts.
Hopefully I will rectify before any real problems appear. In the meantime, having the handy space has been great.
Along with your good suggestion, coating the bolts along the threads near the box may help too.
ransohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Yah, love my F150, best tow vehicle ever. Hate the F150 tail light. Should have been recalled due to poor design. It isn't sealed because they wanted condensation to be able to drain out. An admitted design flaw that they considered recalling but didn't. Works great until it doesn't and then your truck shuts down. It affects everything.

In my case the bill would have been higher than the costs quoted above but fortunately the dealer and Ford Canada swallowed most of it. I view those tail lights as a ticking time bomb for the years affected. Something like 2015-2019.

Ron
Must be a frameless design?...............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 05:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Lol ...from what I have been reading... I think you don't like frameless.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:32 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Good one Not sealed or waterproof either, the best of both worlds.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Good one Not sealed or waterproof either, the best of both worlds.

Ron

Ford went nuts with this approach. I have the same on my 2017 F-150 - so good so far, but...............Yikes!
Old 02-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Lol ...from what I have been reading... I think you don't like frameless.
Believe you meant to quote Ron in BC?

I like frameless..........and framed. Each has their own place.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Believe you meant to quote Ron in BC?

I like frameless..........and framed. Each has their own place.
You are right I did mean to quote Ron... I have had both and have frameless now. I do personally like the framed sliders myself.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Ford went nuts with this approach. I have the same on my 2017 F-150 - so good so far, but...............Yikes!

A friends wife bought about the most expensive 2015 Ford Escape possible. Within a couple of months she had condensation in the tail lights and was very unhappy about it. Ford's answer that it'd go away on its' own didn't please her.

I guess that I shouldn't have been so surprised years later when my F150 ended up with a major problem because of the same type of tail light design.

Ron
Old 03-29-2023, 05:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Well if it ends up being to tight of a fit for cornering you can sell it on craigslist and buy a specific trailer tongue box. Like this https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Diamon...751341740&th=1
Hi, did you buy one? If so which one, 29, 33 or 39 inch? With the lock & latch on the front side, does it interfere with the propane cover.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #35
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
Hi, did you buy one? If so which one, 29, 33 or 39 inch? With the lock & latch on the front side, does it interfere with the propane cover.
Yes, we purchased the "Gooeap 49 X 15 X 15 Inch Sliver Aluminum Tool Box Truck Car Outdoor Trailer Pickup Underbody Toolbox, RV Storage Organizer, Underbed Tools Organizer W/Lock Latch w/Keys"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BR37DCBV...roduct_details

Pros: Does not cost $1,200. Is fairly lightweight but at the same time sturdy. Holds as much as the Escape storage box we had on our 19 (with the batteries located in the middle of the box). So now we have a 21C and the batteries are under the dinette bench.

Cons: The area around the handles is rusting, but the rest of the box is fine. So anyone getting this, I recommend you spray some clear rustoleium around the handle area prior to installing on the trailer. I'm going to have to brush off the rust and do the same retroactively. The protane tank cover does get in the way of the front latch. I've gotten pretty good at opening it, but I will likely cut a small area of the propane cover out so there is more room for my hand. The nice thing about that is you likely won't be able to see the cutout as it faces back toward the box.

We used this box on our recent 5-week trip and it was great. I did add some weather stripping along the lid to augment what was already there, but not sure I had to. I also put single layer of cardboard on the bottom of the box to help keep it more quiet in case I drop a wrench in there.

So overall we are pretty happy with the box and it has adequate space for all the gear we need. We don't seem to have any issues making tight turns either. I have not tried to purposely jack knife the trailer in a parking lot, so I don't know for sure if you can crack a taillight with this box, but I do know from painful and expensive experience that the Escape Box WILL crack your taillight if you jackknife the trailer.

Good luck going forward!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:20 PM   #36

Can someone with an E19 with a factory storage box take a picture of how it's attached to the frame. Both inside and underneath
Old 03-29-2023, 10:00 PM   #37

3 bolts to a flange welded onto the frame.

I've never liked the "falling forward look" so I installed wedges to make the top level.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-01-2007 3-19-52 AM_0026_resize.jpg   11-01-2007 3-58-17 AM_0029_resize.jpg   21-09-2019 3-23-29 PM_0004_resize.jpg  
Old 03-29-2023, 10:49 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
No we have a 5.0 so no front box. It was just a quick search for a trailer tongue storage box.

I looks like a good box though, I like how they set the lid hinge back so that you can put it up tighter against the trailer and don't need to leave as big of a gap for the lid to open.

And I can see that the front latch might not work. It would suck to have to remove your propane cover every time you need to get into your storage box. Although it looks like the same latch position as the OPs box so maybe it would work just fine.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:40 PM   #39

Quote:
3 bolts to a flange welded onto the frame.

I've never liked the "falling forward look" so I installed wedges to make the top level.

Ron
Thank you, what materials did you use for the wedges
Old 03-30-2023, 12:54 AM   #40

Beats me, I use pine, oak and red cedar frequently and it's probably one of them.

With a coat of paint I don't think it makes too much difference.

Ron