A Little Different 12v Refer Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
A Little Different 12v Refer Question

We are often plugged in to a 20 amp outlet. That runs our A/C just fine with our water heater and refer on gas. My question: Can I run my refer on 12v while hooked to shore power and one solar? Or is it still going to be better to run it on gas? My goal is to save some propane if possible.
Bladesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
My fridge needs about 3a when running on AC, there is a good chance you'll be able to run it when running the air, give it a try.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Depending on the model fridge, it looks like the wattage used in either 12 volts or 120 volts is the same, the only difference is that 175 watts at 12 volts would require your converter to work harder as it tries to keep up with the 15 amp draw.
I think you are better off keeping it on 120 volts.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Depending on the model fridge, it looks like the wattage used in either 12 volts or 120 volts is the same, the only difference is that 175 watts at 12 volts would require your converter to work harder as it tries to keep up with the 15 amp draw.
I think you are better off keeping it on 120 volts.
But a 20 amp service is not going to hold my A/C and refer together. That's why I have to run my refer on gas. If it would work on DC it would save me a lot of propane. It does make a lot of sense that it would require the converter to work harder, but is that acceptable?
Old 07-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The solar would help a bit charging the battery but the converter that runs off of 120 volts would probably kick in thus being a draw as same as or more than the fridge on 120 depending on what state of charge it was putting out. The charger would get warm in doing so thus not the most efficient way to run things as the warm means wasted energy.

Is it possible to run a second extension cord from your source on a different circuit? If so at the rear of the fridge you can unplug it from the trailer and into this separate circuit.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #6

No it's generally not an option for another circuit. But that's a great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
My fridge needs about 3a when running on AC, there is a good chance you'll be able to run it when running the air, give it a try.
I ran it for about 5 hrs on DC. Seems to have worked. The sun went down so I put it back on gas. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks.